3G Picotope Work Tank (Build/Progress Thread)

Bradley...after long talks and lots of introspection I was not going to get any nems for various reasons of tank size and what not. How long has your tank been up? I am now rethinking the nem case as I really wanted some. I wanted exactly what you have in the maxi mini and the RBTA. Please share your experiences with me. How often do you feed? What do you feed them etc.

Wheres the shark?

He didn't swim fast enough, and started growing algae too. :(:

Bradley...after long talks and lots of introspection I was not going to get any nems for various reasons of tank size and what not. How long has your tank been up? I am now rethinking the nem case as I really wanted some. I wanted exactly what you have in the maxi mini and the RBTA. Please share your experiences with me. How often do you feed? What do you feed them etc.

The trick to having anemones in small tanks is little to no change. Set up the system and let it cycle. Add some coral, snails, shrimp, all that. Then let it stabilize however you have it set up. I would recommend not having a fish you HAVE to feed. I went with only inverts that eat algae and detritus so I don't feed them at all. I only feed the anemones and only about once a month, if that. But then I only need to do water changes once a month that way too. You can feed more often, but if you feed a fish every day, you'll end up doing 30% water changes every week minimum to keep the levels steady. I went with no fish and mandatory weekly 1 gallon water changes at first. If you do that, you can add the nems sooner.

Oh yea, and feeding = growing. No food causes them to shrink, not die right away. So just get one the size you want, and you can control the size that way.

Last edited:
The trick to having anemones in small tanks is little to no change. Set up the system and let it cycle. Add some coral, snails, shrimp, all that. Then let it stabilize however you have it set up. I would recommend not having a fish you HAVE to feed. I went with only inverts that eat algae and detritus so I don't feed them at all. I only feed the anemones and only about once a month, if that. But then I only need to do water changes once a month that way too. You can feed more often, but if you feed a fish every day, you'll end up doing 30% water changes every week minimum to keep the levels steady. I went with no fish and mandatory weekly 1 gallon water changes at first. If you do that, you can add the nems sooner.

Oh yea, and feeding = growing. No food causes them to shrink, not die right away. So just get one the size you want, and you can control the size that way.

Very good info Bradley! Thanks for it! I would probably rather have a new or two instead of a fish anyway. I have a bit before I make that decision too as my tank is just now set up. Probably a few months at least until I really know what it is going to do in terms of fluctuations.

Back