400 Gallon SPS Build In A 900 Gallon Mixed Reef System

Great photos! I know you are using the MP60s, but can I ask how many power heads you have total and where they are positioned? And what % are you running them at?

Thanks in advance!

@Nick_James Thanks for the kind words. I have 6 power heads total 2 being mp 60's on the side with 4 mp40's spaced out 8-10 inches from eachother while also being approx 8 inches from the water line. At this position I have all the pumps running in reef crest mode at 100% meaning they vary from 10%-100% throughout the day. Over time ill program all the pumps to be in sync for gyre effects. Ill tank note this tank is close to 100x turnover which very little sand movement at the bottom which was my primary goal.

fantastic!

fantastic!

You can't beat Vortechs in my opinion. What program are you running on them or are you still toying with it?
Did I see a Centropyge bicolor in there?

@Nick_James Thanks for the kind words. I have 6 power heads total 2 being mp 60's on the side with 4 mp40's spaced out 8-10 inches from eachother while also being approx 8 inches from the water line. At this position I have all the pumps running in reef crest mode at 100% meaning they vary from 10%-100% throughout the day. Over time ill program all the pumps to be in sync for gyre effects. Ill tank note this tank is close to 100x turnover which very little sand movement at the bottom which was my primary goal.

That's some serious flow! I have thought about using a gyre on each end and maybe a power head or two in the middle. The tank I am planning for is 72x30x24. I thought the broader stream of the gyre would do well with the 30" width. But having more power heads on alternating programs would be effective as well...

Also, I notice your trigger in there... Was he added last and has he bullied anyone at all? Was researching a blue throat trigger as possibly the "final" fish in this future build.

@Gary What program are you running on them or are you still toying with it?
Did I see a Centropyge bicolor in there? Reef Crest has always been my favorite but I plan on testing the gyre mode alot more this time around. Yes you did that guy is 5 years old now I believe loves to make sure no acans bother the reef.

@Nick I haven't tested a gyre out in person yet but they look good from what I see, Waiting for the new model with the improved propeller to be tested out longer by other people IF it can stand to time ill consider getting gyres myself. Ive had so much success with mp40's from the start and as you know if it aint broke dont fix it.

@Nick Also, I notice your trigger in there... Was he added last and has he bullied anyone at all? Was researching a blue throat trigger as possibly the "final" fish in this future build.

He was added near the middle stages of that tank he bullies a few fish but remains to be a model citizen. Thought im sure he picks are corals just all the other angels do it more :D

If your adding a trigger my best advice is be prepared for any havoc they bring with them good and bad :) love how they move in reefs

Back