45G Shallow Rimless Peninsula Aquacultured SPS Reef

Thanks guys, its been fun, and even with this small setup I've learned a lot by getting it up and running. Only my third SW tank setup so still have a lot of errors to make, correct, and learn from lol.

Love peaceful fish! Possum wrasse geometric pygmy hawk also neon gobies a few cardinals and royal grammas. I have 3 large bartlett anthias that spar a lot but never hurt each other. Glad to see rock and water :celeb3:

Wrasses are out of the question for me given the rimless design. I will google the hawk - my wife really wants a hawkfish, but I want shrimp, and I don't think those two co-exist. I was thinking about a few anthias and cardinalfish as well. Potential list includes a hawk, algae blenny, two clowns, three anthias, and 5 or 6 blue streak cardinals. That may be pushing it in a tank of this size though. I've also thought about another pygmy angel, or a small butterfly (CBB), but not sure (won't be throwing all of these in together obviously, just fish I've thought about).

Woo-hoo!!!! Finally wet! Let me know when you're ready for a frag of your Prostrata.... my piece is getting beastly.
208f7f25d4db45e646b43ec357575a87.jpg

Thanks Phil! That prostrata looks great - you think its beastly now, give it another 12 months in your new system with all that MH light and flow, and you're going to have a monstrosity on your hands :)

Tank is cycling. 33 pounds of rock, a mix of shelf rock and pukani. Will scape over the coming weeks.

New Tank Setup-14 by UpOnTheRoof, on Flickr

Looks great Jordan. I think you need less rock though... just my opinion. It feels like the pieces of rock are too big maybe too. Personally I would probably take half that rock and maybe break it into smaller chunks. Or maybe just the two big ones would look nice...

Actually looking again, with your tank being that shallow and your light pretty concentrated in the center I think it would look good with just one (yes one) rock in the middle. hahah. The one on the bottom left of the picture. Its not as high as the other big one on the right. I see it loaded all around with some select SPS and nice zoa and other lps on the sand around it in the lower light. Very bomme esk.

Or just leave it alone. Im sure what ever you do will look great. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Hey Darryl, great to see you popping in on RC. Really miss your updates and wisdom. Thanks for all the past info.
Jordan, the tank is looking good man, hope it continues to go according to plan, will be interesting to see what you come up with for a scape.

coming along great Jordan! love the style of the tank your going for, don't see that too often.

Thanks Jason :)

Looking good! So what sand did you go with?

I ended up going with seafloor special and CC on top... still need a bit more CC to add on top. Couldn't bring myself to go without substrate.

Looks great Jordan. I think you need less rock though... just my opinion. It feels like the pieces of rock are too big maybe too. Personally I would probably take half that rock and maybe break it into smaller chunks. Or maybe just the two big ones would look nice...

Actually looking again, with your tank being that shallow and your light pretty concentrated in the center I think it would look good with just one (yes one) rock in the middle. hahah. The one on the bottom left of the picture. Its not as high as the other big one on the right. I see it loaded all around with some select SPS and nice zoa and other lps on the sand around it in the lower light. Very bomme esk.

Or just leave it alone. Im sure what ever you do will look great. Looking forward to seeing it in person.

Yes, all that rock won't be used for the scape, whatever is left over I will put in the sump, I just threw it in the display to get it under the light and cycling. I will be doing the scape in the next week sometime, and it will not be nearly as much rock. I'll likely go with a turtle's back type island, or two small islands with a bridge of shelf rock connecting the two.

Hey Darryl, great to see you popping in on RC. Really miss your updates and wisdom. Thanks for all the past info.
Jordan, the tank is looking good man, hope it continues to go according to plan, will be interesting to see what you come up with for a scape.

Thanks!

Looks great mate, are you going to break those bit bits Jordan.

That is the plan, we'll see how it goes though, I still want to drill the pieces for frag plugs, and if something splits, I may have to change course.

Looking good Jordan are those pukani rocks. .ya i thought that's a lot of rock for such a small tank your plan sounds good wanna see what you do with the scape you got some really nice pieces in there

Rope near a hot light scares me, I just had to say something cause of the wimp I am. :)

Glad to see it wet, looking forward to the progress!

Did you end up changing the rock at all Jordan?

Also, I was talking to Aaron at BA the other day, and he said you were planning to pick up some frags in the next week or two.... is this true?!?! If so then I think we need an update!

Looking good Jordan are those pukani rocks. .ya i thought that's a lot of rock for such a small tank your plan sounds good wanna see what you do with the scape you got some really nice pieces in there

Yes, they are indeed pukani (the two big ones at the bottom). I haven't done the scape yet, I've got lots of macro and hair algae at the time being, I'm going to wait until that subsides I think before finalizing the scape.

Rope near a hot light scares me, I just had to say something cause of the wimp I am. :)

Glad to see it wet, looking forward to the progress!

To be honest the rope is one of the last things I'm worried about lol, everything else that is a different story... the price I guess of having lots of water, electricity, and heat altogether.

Did you end up changing the rock at all Jordan?

Also, I was talking to Aaron at BA the other day, and he said you were planning to pick up some frags in the next week or two.... is this true?!?! If so then I think we need an update!

The rock is still the same (picture the last pics I took, and cover everything with fuzz in your mind lol). I will get some pics up shortly. I added a pair of percs (tank raised) and three frags - I did get those from Aaron, which are corals that I fragged for him some time ago. Its like having old friends over that I haven't seen in a while :) Sunset mille, the prostrata, and the teal stag. So far they all look pretty good. They have paled a bit potentially, I don't have enough bioload, need more fish. I've been waiting patiently to try and scoop some up from other reefers, but the pickings have been slim. Going to try and continue to be patient.

If you leave your thread for too long without updating I'm only going to bump the thread. :)

How is the tank coming along?

Sahin, thanks for the bump, the tank is coming along ok. I've got about 25 SPS frags in the tank. I had some issues with my MH lighting, and ended up destroying my Pheonix bulb and switching to the Ushio 14k after replacing my sockets. At about the same time my lighting was on the fritz, I had a spike in nutrients, which the SPS didn't like. They all browned out but are on the rebound and colouring back up. Some incurred some tissue loss and damage, but it looks like I'm not going to lose too much. The smaller volume of water (relative to my 120) is definitely harder to work with. I have two clowns, a small yellow tang, and a small flame angel in the tank. I had a algae blenny, but found him encrusted on the carpet one morning :( The YT is going to another tank (Teebone's) in the near future. I've gone through diatoms and hair algae, and currently experiencing cyano. The sort of natural tank start up stuff. All and all things are going slow, but ok, and I've sort of put things on hold for the time being in terms of finishing touches on the tank, as our backyard at our new to us place was a disaster, and I've been very busy with cutting down trees and removing brush, planting lawn, moving stones and repairing retaining walls, etc. etc. etc. I will try and get some pictures up sometime soon! :)

Sahin, thanks for the bump, the tank is coming along ok. I've got about 25 SPS frags in the tank. I had some issues with my MH lighting, and ended up destroying my Pheonix bulb and switching to the Ushio 14k after replacing my sockets. At about the same time my lighting was on the fritz, I had a spike in nutrients, which the SPS didn't like. They all browned out but are on the rebound and colouring back up. Some incurred some tissue loss and damage, but it looks like I'm not going to lose too much. The smaller volume of water (relative to my 120) is definitely harder to work with. I have two clowns, a small yellow tang, and a small flame angel in the tank. I had a algae blenny, but found him encrusted on the carpet one morning :( The YT is going to another tank (Teebone's) in the near future. I've gone through diatoms and hair algae, and currently experiencing cyano. The sort of natural tank start up stuff. All and all things are going slow, but ok, and I've sort of put things on hold for the time being in terms of finishing touches on the tank, as our backyard at our new to us place was a disaster, and I've been very busy with cutting down trees and removing brush, planting lawn, moving stones and repairing retaining walls, etc. etc. etc. I will try and get some pictures up sometime soon! :)

Jordan, look forward to the update. Hope things turn around for the better.

hey, i missed this thread... great to see you back, Jordan!
love the plan, set up and location.
you'll have absolutely no problem finding some of the nicest coral frags around, in your neck of the woods..
If i can get my corals to start growing, it would be a pleasure to pass some frags onto you.. i am in Toronto from time to time.. although, Toronto is practically ground zero for amazing frags..
i loved your last tank, this one will be just as nice, i have no doubt.
I'll be following with interest.

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely despite the set backs Jordan. Doing man stuff outside is always good for the soul :) Using a chainsaw is like playing with fireworks in daylight. When i was about fifteen (long time ago) my father showed me how to use a chainsaw. He started with ' this is the motor and that end will kill you if you don't listen, so bloody listen Andrew ! '

I listened and i'm still here........ :thumbsup:

Glad to hear things are on the up-swing and the new tank nasties are getting behind you.

If all this recent wet weather is keeping you from outside duties, bring over that YT, as I have a home for him whenever your ready.

Back