54W LED Aquarium help

asmodyus

So I bought this E27 54W LED Aquarium Coral Marine Reef Grow Light Fish Tank Lamp Bulb PAR38.

Does it need a special Fixture to run it?I was going to use it for my refiugium and just use the shop lamp but when I's screwed it in it did not work.

I want to make sure that I don't need a special fixture before I try to return it.

E27 is supposedly a European light socket which would also be 220 volts. If that led is designed to run on 220 it's not going to work on 110.

It seems it should fire up. Spec sheet says 110-220v. Possible you got a bad one? Just to be thorough, are you sure this specific fixture actually works?

It seems it should fire up. Spec sheet says 110-220v. Possible you got a bad one? Just to be thorough, are you sure this specific fixture actually works?

Yes its one of this cheep 8 bucks shop light with clamp and large circular reflector using a standard LED home bulb now. Even tired on my flood light fixture outside since that was the only other fixture had that would fit it.

So I now have had 2 of these bulbs that don't. I got the replacement (2nd one) today and this one also does not work. So I took the bulbs apart and both bulbs had the exact same issue here is the pictures of the bulbs.

2dda92a04510444e5108a4585c77f2e7.jpg

ef822efd24e6b88a1efda279d3b0cf43.jpg

Any electricians out there who might be able to get these bulbs working? I tried connecting the two white wires togather with a gun but that did not work.

Last edited:
Those wires don't go together, the one current attached to the screw part is neutral and the one on the driver is hot.
So, therefore the one sticking out of the driver is supposed to attach to the bottom of the screw part and the wire sticking out of the screw part is supposed to go to the driver.

Its kind of hard for me to tell because of the yellow wrap..

When you took it apart it was like that?

Connecting the two white wires does nothing because the one sticking out is the neutral. Another thing is, if it is 220 that driver in the bulb won't work with our outlets over here..

Last edited:
Yeah that is exactly like both of them were took off 3 screws it came apart and the wires were just sitting there the 2nd one I took apart slowly make sure i did not pull the wires apart but the were already like that hence why neither of them worked. Could be like a manufacturer defect on those runs?

Either way I have 2 bulbs with 18 3w leds that are not working seems a waste and the cost of me returning them I will lose more than half my money. So if anybody out there could give me a hand and help me fix them that would be awesome.

Can you take pictures of where the wires are coming out, so I can get a clue as to maybe where its supposed to attach.

Standard American sockets are E26 and the rest of the world uses E27. The difference is the length of the socket and the voltage rating. However you can run a E27 in a E26 socket and you shouldn't have any issues. Like Tony said if you can get a pic of where the wires are coming from (remove the yellow wrap if possible) I'm sure one of us can help you out.

***diaclaimer****- I am not a licensed professional electrician so try at your own risk...

It appears that the wire currently attached to the socket should be connected to the driver the same way the other wire that is currently coming from the driver. If you look at your last pick you see that the wire is connected between the 2 solder points on the left, take the wire coming from the socket and connected it to the flat solder spot between the 2 points on the right. Now the wire coming from the driver in the last pick should be connected to the center of the socket. You should see a place where it was previously soldered right in the center of the socket. I would cover the exposed wire going to center of socket with electrical tape. This should solve the issue. I hope it makes sense it was kind of hard to explain without showing you.

I am a licensed electrician and if you have to put this together its not worth it IMO it should come together beside how much money are you saving and are you going to feel good about leaving your house when this is powered up I would be worried about a fire if this is how crappy the quality is just my opinion

Here the thing they are going to gave me my money back. So I now have (2) 54 watt bulbs with 18 3 watt LEDs. If I can get these working awesome if not no big deal

I can solder the wires for you if you want. To me it looks like the wires were never soldered or somehow came out because they weren't soldered correctly.

But like Snake1 said, the quality of it is questionable.

Back