600 gallon plywood Down Grade!

Very nice! Do you have more information on the Merlin? Like what size filters does it use? I see you hooked up a DI chamber. How do you make sure the flowrate through the DI isn't too much?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14047807#post14047807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jma1978
Very nice! Do you have more information on the Merlin? Like what size filters does it use? I see you hooked up a DI chamber. How do you make sure the flowrate through the DI isn't too much?

Off hand I dont know what size they are, but they are quite a bit longer than normal. Maybe six inches or so. I'll have to look at the specs sheet. The instructions said the pressure should be between 40 and 80 psi. Mines at 60 psi. I plumbed a valve/reducer into the input which I can control the flow with. I'm glad my house is plumbed in the plastic tubing vs the copper. It made it much easier to hook this thing up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14047807#post14047807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jma1978

GE Merlin Tankless Reverse Osmosis System Specs:
Materials of Construction: High durability Noryl and polypropylene construction provide years of dependable service
Average Permeate Flow Rate: 0.5 Gallons Per Minute
Average Gallons Per Day: 720 GPD
Uses only Line Pressure (>40 psi). Requires no pump or electricity for most applications.
Average TDS Rejection: 95% NaCI based on 50 psi at 77°F
RO System Height: 17.05 inches
RO System Length: 20.34 inches
RO System Depth: 9.68 inches
Carbon PreFilter Height x Depth: 17 inches x 2.9 inches
RO Membrane Height x Depth (The GE Merlin uses 2 Membranes): 18.75 inches x 3.16 inches
Carbon PostFilter Height x Depth: 10.5 inches x 2.6 inches

GE Merlin Tankless Reverse Osmosis System:
The Merlin Reverse Osmosis System is a new patented RO technology from GE that fits nicely under the kitchen sink or for light commercial applications.
The GE Merlin Reverse Osmosis System is a tankless RO system featuring on-demand, continuous-flow water production. There is no storage tank to fill. The reverse osmosis unit does not run until RO water is needed.
This GE Merlin reverse osmosis unit will provide clean, refreshing, and good tasting water for all drinking, cooking & ice needs.
The Merlin system includes a complete installation kit, designer air gap chrome long reach lead-free faucet, all interconnecting tubing, RO membrane, filters, fittings, drain connection, and installation instructions.
The GE Merlin Tankless RO unit operates on line pressure (40 psi required), which eliminates the need for an electrical pump in most applications. If needed, a GE Merlin Booster Pump is available here.
The GE Merlin patented high-production, low-energy membrane purifies between 720 to 1100 gallons of water per day depending on your water conditions. That is 50 times the output of typical home reverse osmosis products. The GE Merlin provides commercial water production at the price of a residential system. This high capacity performance creates new opportunities for light duty commercial applications.
The GE Merlin system is covered by a 3-year limited warranty for residential applications, and a 1-year limited warranty in commercial application.
Applications for the GE Merlin System: Home Use / Light Commercial, Restaurants, Coffee Shops, Juice bars, Ice Makers, Dentist Office, Aquariums, Grocery Misters
The GE Merlin high recovery system has consistent TDS rejection and membrane efficiency.
The GE Merlin RO System is engineered for the fewest number of connection points - less chance of leaks.
The GE Merlin reverse osmosis system's support leg also serves as a handy sump wrench.
The GE Merlin system works like a small commercial RO system. It uses two reverse osmosis membrane elements in series to produce the high flow of permeate. The concentrate from reverse osmosis element one is channeled into the inlet at the second RO element.
The GE Merlin stops the flow of water coming in when the system is not in use. An internal shut-off valve will close when the pressure in the permeate line reaches approximately 44% of the system inlet pressure. This function saves water by turning the unit off when permeate water is not being used. The inlet valve will open, and the GE Merlin will start making permeate water when pressure in the permeate line drops to approximately 11% of the system inlet pressure.
The GE Merlin has a 25% recovery rate. .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14049832#post14049832 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by matt & pam
What does the TDS run coming out of the RO system?
It's ZERO on mine.

Wow!! Is that system for real? What is the pure water/ waste ratio on this system? How does it shut off when not in use? Is it using a float valve to determine when the container is full? How do you like the performance so far?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14052807#post14052807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by prostaff
Wow!! Is that system for real? What is the pure water/ waste ratio on this system? How does it shut off when not in use? Is it using a float valve to determine when the container is full? How do you like the performance so far?

I haven't measured with the TDS yet. I'll check tomorrow. It hooks up differently than any other r/o system I've had. I had to plumb it directly from the water lines, and placed a valve right after my splice to turn off the flow when its not in use. It has a 1/2 inch tube input vs the 1/4 inch on traditional systems. I plan to turn it on for 3 hours at a time to fill a 100 gallon tub for top off water and water changes. I may try a float valve in the future, but for now I will do it manually. It may be hard to find a solenoid with 1/2 inch inputs too. So far it's been pretty amazing. Goodwin9 would be the best person to attest to its performance.

Last edited:
Well today I visited the Local TSE. They had everything an aquarist would need in terms of plumbing and poly tanks. I picked up two 150 gallon 6 x 2 x 2 poly stock tanks. They barely fit in my FJ and were a struggle to fit down my stairs. I'm sure b/w the two there will be more than enough room to hold the live rock and sand.
I'm thinking I will most likely have to move my refugium and sand bed once the tank is down. In this case I will need these tubs as boilogic filters. I have to find a place to put them, then plumb them in case I need them.

PC310328.jpg

PC310332.jpg

Also here is a pic of my 3 tanks (125, 130, 72) ready to go and plumbed in-line.

PC310333.jpg

Last edited:
Is the way you plumbed your 72 much better than plumbing through the bottom of the tank? I was thinking about that, but yours doesnt look bad at all.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14053721#post14053721 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by blizzardscout2
Is the way you plumbed your 72 much better than plumbing through the bottom of the tank? I was thinking about that, but yours doesnt look bad at all.

The bottom of the tank is usually tempered glass, so drilling it is more difficult. You also have to have a hole in the stand for the plumbing to fit through. Otherwise though you could do it either way. Alot of people plumb the inputs through the bottom, to hide the plumbing, but there has to be a safety measure added so the tank doesn't drain on a power outtage. For the sake of ease, I put both the input and the returns at the top. I also have 2 returns for each input.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14050008#post14050008 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goodwin9
It's ZERO on mine.
I need to qualify this statement that my final TD is zero after running through a resin tank. I checked tonight and the TDS of the water leaving the Merlin unit is at 7 before going into the resin tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14058968#post14058968 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goodwin9
I need to qualify this statement that my final TD is zero after running through a resin tank. I checked tonight and the TDS of the water leaving the Merlin unit is at 7 before going into the resin tank.

I'd be happy with 7 considering mine is in the 300s straight out of the tap. I'll check tomorrow and post my readings.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14059118#post14059118 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cougarman
I'd be happy with 7 considering mine is in the 300s straight out of the tap. I'll check tomorrow and post my readings.
The TDS of my tap water was 385 tonight.

Ok I was able to break away from the visiting in-laws, so I went down and tested the water. I used two different TDS meters, both from the same manufacturer. One I had already and the other came with the unit and it says its factory calibrated. The tap water gave me a reading of 197ppm on one meter and 204ppm on the other. After running the Merlin for approx 5 min, they both read 001ppm. This is after running it through the resin filter post R/O unit. I'd say it's performing adequately. Thanks again Goodwin9.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14059198#post14059198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Goodwin9
The TDS of my tap water was 385 tonight.

I thought mine would be around the same, but turns out is closer to 200.

Is this a post filter and do you have any pics of it?

mine is the clear cannister in front of the unit, followed by an opaque white post filter both of which came with the unit.

PC300325.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14064135#post14064135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BigReef

Is this a post filter and do you have any pics of it?
I ran a 10 or 12" resin canister for a while but I was having to change it so often that I went with a resin tank...

newro.jpg

Back