75 Gallon Seahorse & Macro Algae Display

Sorry, I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I was wondering what you use to attach the macros to your rock work?

Super glue for the most part. Nothing special...

When I glue I try to only glue on one side of the macro versus a blog at the bottom of the stem. I've noticed if you do a glob on the end, over time the stem that was glued years off because the glued section rotted. By it being on the side of the stem, it still allows the entire stem to have access to water and light..

Otherwise I simply wedge the macro and hope for the best :)

Super glue for the most part. Nothing special...

When I glue I try to only glue on one side of the macro versus a blog at the bottom of the stem. I've noticed if you do a glob on the end, over time the stem that was glued years off because the glued section rotted. By it being on the side of the stem, it still allows the entire stem to have access to water and light..

Otherwise I simply wedge the macro and hope for the best :)

Thanks so much!

Can you explain the purpose of the HOB refugium for this tank please? Also, how are the horses doing now, do they seem to develop bacterial problems in this type of tank more or less than with other tanks?

Thank you,

Lainey Alexander

Can you explain the purpose of the HOB refugium for this tank please? Also, how are the horses doing now, do they seem to develop bacterial problems in this type of tank more or less than with other tanks?

Thank you,

Lainey Alexander

Initially no.... At the time I setup this aquarium I was downgrading my overall quantity of tanks and had it lying around. Over time it's turned into an area to house my more invasive algae like chaetomorpha and caulerpa.

It also acts as a secondary way to cultivate pods... Between my scooter blennies and seahorses I'm sure they'd pick my maintain clean of pods.

As far as the seahorse health aspect goes. I seem to have good luck overall. I'm honestly down a few ponies as of recent due to losing a few. Pretty sure it was due to age.. They were pushing the 1.5-2year mark.

The only issue I have encountered with my seahorses was when one kept getting air trapped in his pouch. There was a 6 month stretch were I was manually draining his pouch of air every 7-10 days.

Heres a few seahorse pictures for your!

yellowseahorse.jpg

What species is behind the seahorse's head in the background?

Amazing tank.

What species is behind the seahorse's head in the background?

Amazing tank.

Looks like G. Mammillaris under moderate-low light. Under high light it grows in dense horizontal layers, and under low to moderate-low light it grows in thinner bushes. One of my favorite macros.

Thank you for the id. I have been looking in the subforum for some ideas of a Pico macro tank and that species caught my eye because of the color and form.

Thank you for the id. I have been looking in the subforum for some ideas of a Pico macro tank and that species caught my eye because of the color and form.

Glad to help. I personally wouldn't do this in a pico or nano unless you are very good on the upkeep. It is difficult to remove from rocks and grows pretty quickly. Propagates through "encrusting" (sort of) and broken pieces landing places. In my 70 I had a dedicated island where I let it grow and was very aggressive about removing it when it popped up anywhere else.

Somewhat similar in appearance and requirements is G. Hayi, which is absolutely excellent and very, very easy to grow and keep under control.

Here's a chunk of G. Hayi in my tank:
muLt18GnhoebYxJ1B0D4BqFWmIAwYS0xZGQAtYLIqcqpT8E_JrUbt5T-IY2WfJY-dsp3uRr2otvsxB8KJnfgCd16b7Nq7TUSbBbu85zmib4AeWJu7QtB1VrqoQQurPeOJnwTy9z7981Q1eFquymZU6qVuLgzdmRhxZlCbDpzbFmE183NJFpaa-rqT9fogGNEDjmCn2Da3s-OiXdCJx2dNtWJfR82O8JzR6OdUETkQZIeMeuVC3ioVAbeQFQn6-Xwc-yI-fYOxnTUT-bb4WhBUks58Km7oKaO8Fl7x-_Y98TXJXB9DOcLi4k0CFEcnIiE8zyAIKcHL62LUGvuktkDn-9Fliiryb21E-npm1oXcvtI5H73FNhkLB_O_jMH6gElfVpOjG7kcBlaFl8iy9TIgVRBh3hhFpgT270PKhjlkdfjGDXpuf_clmKZkcXkxE53Ef9No-sNK-pO28Fd-R3jxaj9GeBJK7DmPjNwk_-YAssdTfrmkWJnOj6PZhdwoOYNsLwXiVbAm_ejWy98q-gxy3_0nVDEaBP59Lp5oR8S8bOrhJDjs07rpxSc7XMGLRuViBcw=w1264-h841-no

New guy here! I love the look and functionality of the macro! I'm wondering if I might be able to add some to my tank. I have a Condy nem (unintentionally purchased) which I'm afraid will kill or hurt anything i put in there. Any idea if it would kill or hurt the macro?

It won't hurt macros. It's actually a good thing to have the condy nem in your tank first. This way it can wonder around your tank, without stinging other inhabitants, until it finds its home.

Back