AGA92 Corner Reef Tank Build

HumanIMDB

Premium Member
Over the next year or so, I will detail the start up of an All-Glass Aquarium 92 Gallon Corner Reef Tank. Of course, I will post pictures and look forward to everyone's feedback.

History

A few years ago, I purchased the tank with the hopes of keeping saltwater fish. I always thought that the saltwater fish were more colourful. Unfortunately, I took the advice of the clerk at the local pet superstore. Feel free to cringe now...

My initial setup was the tank, lots of black epoxy covered gravel, some plastic coral decorations, a canister filter, two 250w EBO-Jager Heaters, a very cheap air driven protein skimmer, and the stock light. Later I added a Red Sea Berlin Hang-On Protein Skimmer Package with pump.

My first livestock purchase was a Niger Trigger. Later I tried adding some snails to try to keep the algae at bay, but the trigger soon discovered that he liked escargot and the snails were no more. I then added a Volitan Lionfish. To feed them, I used feeder goldfish/comets.

I know, I know, the poor fish! Just goes to show what can happen when well meaning people don't do research before getting into this hobby.

Considering this very poor setup, the fish did surprisingly well. The Lionfish was the first to go, probably because of a diet related illness after about a year. The Trigger lasted almost 3 years and I think what killed it was two weeks of record high temperatures while I was away for work.

The tank then sat without much maintenance for several months at which point I drained, cleaned, and then stored it.

Now after a couple of years of being out of the hobby and more than a year of research, planning, and experimenting with a 10 gallon reef, I think we are finally ready to start the tank back up.

Phase 1 - Planning

Sometime in the next couple of months, we will be getting the tank out of storage. We have to rent a van then travel to my hometown to get it.

Once we have it, I will have to give it a good cleaning using vinegar. We'll then set it up, level it, and water test it.

The first wave of equipment/supplies:
Aquasafe Canada Aquarium RO/DI Unit (www.aquasafecanada.com)
50 Gallon Wheeled Container (Salt water makeup container)
Hagen 901/110 Powerhead (Salt water mixing)
Tropic Marin Pro-Reef Sea Salt 200 Gallon Bucket
CaribSea Aragamax Grand Bahama Sand seven 30 lb Bags (4" Deep Sand Bed)
Four Hydor Koralia 2 Powerheads
Natural Wave Multi-Cycle Timer/Wavemaker

While we are still waiting on pricing, the following may be included in the first purchase or it may be the second wave of equipment/supplies:
Lifereef Hang on the back Overflow/Prefilter (700GPH)
Sump/Refugium to fit in the stock tank stand
Danner Mag-Drive 950 Supreme Return Pump (600GPH with 5' vertical 1/2' horizontal Head Loss)
Aqua C EV-180 Protein Skimmer or Euro-Reef RC180 External Protein Skimmer
Auto Top Off Unit (considering the Tunze Universal Osmolator Automatic Water Top-Off - 3155)

Because we want to do everything right and get the best equipment we can afford, we may run with the first wave of equipment and the Red Sea Berlin Hang-On Protein Skimmer Package until we can purchase and add the above. While not the ideal setup, I feel this should be adequate to cycle and mature the tank.

Once everything is set up, we'll order the live rock in two waves:
50 lbs of Premium Uncured Marshall Island Rock from Premium Aquatics
Followed closely by a second order of an additional 40 lbs, if needed

We'll let the tank cycle using the stock AGA Strip Light for at least three months doing 25% water changes every two weeks before adding the cleaning crew.

We may be add the following in waves of 1/4 to 1/2 of the number at a time with the Algae cleaners going in first followed by the Detritus cleaners:
Algae Cleaners
Scarlet Hermit Crabs - 20
Mexican Turbo Snails or Margarita Snails - 40
Dwarf Red Tip Hermit or Dwarf Zebra Hawaiian Hermit - 65
Abalone - 2
Banded Trochus Snail - 12
Court Jester Goby - 1
Black Sailfin Blenny - 1
Lettuce Caribbean Nudibranch - 4
Emerald Mythrax Crab - 5

Detritus Cleaners
Fancy Serpent Sea Star,Tiger-striped - 2
Sand Sifting Sea Star - 2
Sea Cucumber, Tiger Tail - 3
Burgundy Sea Star or Blue Linkia Sea Star - 2
Fancy Serpent Sea Star, Red - 1
Tongan Fighting Conch - 3
Fancy Brittle Sea Star, Yellow - 1

I used the Ultimate Packs from LiveAquaria.com as guides but cannot order from them as I live in Canada.

Along the way, we'll purchase the lighting system:
A Four 24" 55w Power Compact Fixture with two 10,000K and two Actinic bulbs; preferably with separate controls
Two 250w Metal Halide Pendants with Electronic Ballasts running 13,000K Bulbs

The tank will then mature for another two to three months before adding the first coral/more fish.

We haven't really decided on the inhabitants yet, but we will probably be looking to end up with the following:
A couple of Percs with a hosted anemone
A Mandarin
Some other Reef Safe Fish
A Clam or Clams
Mushrooms
Softies
LPS
Maybe one or two SPS

Upgrades down the road:
Replace the Koralia/Natural Wave combo with four Tunze Nanostream 6055 units and the Tunze Turbelle Deluxe Multi Controller 7095
Larger/additional tank when we move into a house. :D

Please feel free to give suggestions/recommendations on the above. If you have product recommendations, please let me know why you feel that is a good product/superior to the ones I've listed.

Hey Chris,

Your plan sounds spot on. There were a few things I noticed you may want to consider.

Along the way, we'll purchase the lighting system:
A Four 24" 55w Power Compact Fixture with two 10,000K and two Actinic bulbs; preferably with separate controls
Two 250w Metal Halide Pendants with Electronic Ballasts running 13,000K Bulbs

I would recommend going with 2x250MH with 10000k bulbs. Supplemented with 3 or 4 T5HO Actinic Lights, T5 is superior to CF lighting

Check out Sanjay's website on MH Bulb and Ballasts ratings. You will be sacrificing a good amount of PAR using a 13000k over a 10000k. Supplementing with T5 Actinic will easily add the blue coloring.

Sanjay's Site
http://www.reeflightinginfo.arvixe.com/

The other comment I had was your cleanup crew. I would pass on the sand sifting starfish. Do some research on them, even search reef central, they can strip a sand bed clean of beneficial things in a matter of weeks.

Do yourself a favor and save some money, buy half live rock and half base rock. Your live rock will seed your base rock and it will be alive in no time. More then half of my rock is from reefer rock and after 6 months its all purple.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Lighting is one of the things that still confuses me, so many configurations and opinions out there.

I was originally going to go with 10,000K MHs but was swayed by some posts about 13,000K and higher bulbs giving better colour.

I haven't decided on any makes/models yet, but here are some of the options I have:
Hamilton Technology 24" ABS Power Compact Fixture - 4 x 55W
Sunlight Supply 24" New Wave T5 Fixture - 4 x 24W
Hamilton Technology 24" VHO Fluorescent Fixture - 4 x 75W

Those Ultimate packs do seem a bit aggressive, but I figure that planning/budgeting for the most and not getting it is better than going small and having to buy more later. I've heard the same about most sand sifters, not just the stars. My goal is to hopefully avoid having to do a DSB refresh/change or at the very least postpone it as long as possible.

I'm hoping that the 50lbs of Premium Rock will (mostly) fill the tank... :) I am looking for some good base rock to put in the sand bed to serve as a base for the live rock later; don't want any sifters knocking everything over. I'll probably end up securing everything with epoxy (Aquamend) too. I also figure that adding frags will augment the rock structure.

Sounds good Chris, I combine 10K 250MH with 2x54w T5 Actinic and its a perfect white/blue. I Run ReefBlue T5s and XM 10K SE 250W.

A few suggestions

1. I would see if you can drill the tank now while it's empty. This would be the best time to do it if it can be done. I got my 92 gal reef ready, so I didn't have to do anything to it and I feel it was a great investment.

2. If you're planning to go down the route of four Tunze 6055, why not just get two in the mean time instead of 4 Koralias. Two of the 6055s is still much more expensive than the 4 Koralias, but if this is the future plans, you might as well start with the 6055s. Also, two 6055 will give you a decent amount of flow in the tank. It's not enough for SPS, but it'll get the water moving. :D

3. That's a big cleanup crew you got there. Add them slowly and as you see fit.

4. Lighting is a PITA for this tank. Two 250watt MH are going to produce a lot of light, but you may find it difficult to squeeze them into the hood. If I was to install MH, I'd probably go with 1 Lumenarc and some T5s in the front and back to even out the lights / add actinic supplementation. JMO

5. I don't know if Aquamend is going to hold the rock together. I'm planning to drill my rock and run a plastic tube thru it to keep the rock from shifting around.

Good luck and have fun. You've got a great tank there and I'm not just saying that because I have one. ;)

Chem-e,

Would you think going with one 400w MH with a Lumenarc reflector woould be sufficient for SPS?

Unfortunately, the tank is constructed out of tempered glass; "Do not drill" sticker.

Price is the big factor on the Tunze Nanostreams, I can get the four Koralias and the Natural Wave Multi-Cycle Timer/Wavemaker for less than the cost of one 6055. I've heard lots of good things about the Koralias, so until I have everything else, I will wait on the Nanostreams.

I'll upload my design for the lighting layout later, but I think I can make it work.

Not sure about the Aquamend either, but it's more insurance than anything. I've considered drilling the rock and doing supports, but that just seems too messy for me.

If you go with the 10K's suppliment with T5 Blue+ bulbs not actinics. A 10k already has plenty actinic spectrum, look on Sanjay's website.

Here is what I'm thinking for the lighting layout...
AGA92_Lighting.jpg

Probably going to do a Do It Yourself hood for it.

One of the many other configurations I've considered is to use a single fixture with MHs and Supplemental Lighting, like the 36" PFO Professional Series Metal Halide + VHO Fixture (Two x 250w MH + Two x 95w VHO)

Who knows what I will end up ordering as that is still at the very least a few months away... :)

All I know is that I will eventually need one or more Metal Halides if I want to keep any clams or SPS, which is something I eventually want to do.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10899075#post10899075 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chem-e
I don't think I've seen a configuration likes yours before. I've seen a MH in the middle with T5s around it in the shape of a triangle.

Check out this thread. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.

:) Good idea!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10899508#post10899508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HumanIMDB
One of the many other configurations I've considered is to use a single fixture with MHs and Supplemental Lighting, like the 36" PFO Professional Series Metal Halide + VHO Fixture (Two x 250w MH + Two x 95w VHO)

I was thinking about getting a Maristar at one point because they were the only ones making a 36" fixture with 2 x 250watt DE MH. I'm not sure what else is out there now, but there's gotta be more now than what I had to choose from. :D

I liked the Maristar because the fixture looked nice and I wanted T5 bulbs as supplementation, but the only reason I didn't go with the Maristar was because of heat. I think one of the pictures from the thread I linked had a picture of a 36" Maristar. If you did go the route of 2 x 250, that'll be enough light for your clams and SPS.

Lighting this tank is pain, isn't it? :smokin:

All I know is that I will eventually need one or more Metal Halides if I want to keep any clams or SPS, which is something I eventually want to do.

Not true, not true! I'm running 6 T5 bulbs over my 90G, and I've got a happy crocea clam that kept paratrooping off the tall rockwork in my tank to spots lower in my tank. After 5 weeks of replacing it on a high-light area high up in my tank, I gave up and the clam appears to be, well, happy as a clam down in the lower third of my tank.

I've also managed to partially bleach a monti cap that I placed high up in my tank. According to Liveaquaria, they are moderate light SPS, so I've just moved it lower in the tank and I'll see how it does. T5 lighting CAN BE very powerful, but it is wholly dependent on the type of individual reflectors you install on each light. IceCap makes very nice reflectors. Without the reflectors, T5 lighting is nothing to write home about, but with good reflectors you can keep darn near everything that MHs support.

The project was almost killed before it even got started; the two places in the apartment that we had planned to put the tank looked too small to accommodate the tank. However, we took some measurements and it looks like it will fit.

So the project seems to be moving forward... :D

sorry Kysard1; lost track of this thread. Yes, my crocea has added a full row of new scutes along the top edge of its shell.

Oh, and I was dumb not to add that I am overdriving four of my T5 bulbs with an IceCap ballast. (85W per bulb)

Hey IMDB :)

Couple of comments.

1.) After a while my 50GL on wheels water maker started leaking at the bottom. I went with the heavier duty 30GL rubbermaid tubs (QTY 2).

2.) We may have some loaner equipment to help you get going, we have our old protein skimmer sitting in the basement unused. It worked well but had too big a footprint for our new sump. You're free to use it until the second round of equipment purchase.

3.) Have you considered going with a single 400W 13K in a lumenarc reflector? I raised it a little higher off the water and it reduced the extra power but still gave great lighting but it was able to spread more before hitting the water.

4.) I picked up some Tunze 6025 powerheads and did the mods on them (very easy). They were cheap and generate a ton of flow.

Thanks for the comments...

1) Ya, I was wondering how water tight the wheeled containers would be...the only reason I want a wheeled one is that my RO/DI unit may not be close to the tank, but I'm also looking at getting more tubing for it to reach. I've also seen buckling issues with some containers, so I want as heavy duty as I can find. An actual water tank might be nice.

2) You're very generous! Thank you. What are the specs on the skimmer? And, are you in Winnipeg? :D

3) The single 400w 13,000K MH is one of the configurations I have considered, in fact it was suggested by the owner of the LFS that I trust. I do like the idea of having the simulated sunrise/sunset with the actinics, so I'm still torn. That should provide enough light for SPS/Clams...shouldn't it? I also need to find a source for the Lumenarc reflectors in Canada/Winnipeg.

4) The thing I like about the 6055 units is the variable speeds, I believe only the high end Tunze units have that option; at least I haven't been able to find any PH/Wavemaker combos with that option. I've read good things about the Koralias, so they should be good for a while.

Back