Anemone insides coming out??

demccoy1320

So I have had this anemone for about 2 weeping. It was bleached and I fed it twice a day every day. It was looking great. But yesterday i feed it and it did it's usual closing but didn't really open but still moving around the the box. Well it climbed the box and I went to feed it and it looked like it was torn. And now it's insides are coming out.. What should I do? This is my second one and I can't lose it too? I'm about to switch to corals.

Give us more tank info...how long tank has been set up; what's the lighting & other inhabitants; what's your water parameters? Anemones can't handle new tanks water chemistry fluctuations. It's suggested to wait at least six months before adding a nem to a new tank.

Since April, T5 and a led strip, 4 small clowns and 2 damsels. Clean up crew; 3 snails, 4 crabs, star fish. Ammonia- 0, nitrate- 80ppm, Kh- normal.
I know that now. But I couldn't return it so I wanted to try and keep it alive. I'm buying a toad stool coral next weekend to replace my old anemone.

Since April, T5 and a led strip, 4 small clowns and 2 damsels. Clean up crew; 3 snails, 4 crabs, star fish. Ammonia- 0, nitrate- 80ppm, Kh- normal.
I know that now. But I couldn't return it so I wanted to try and keep it alive. I'm buying a toad stool coral next weekend to replace my old anemone.

I'd hold off on buying anything until your Nitrates are below 20. JMHO

+1 on not adding any more livestock until you get a handle on your chemistries (& I'd say at keeping nitrates under 10). What's your water change schedule & how many gallons at a time? Your tank is barely a month old, & probly still cycling. Let it catch up w/ the bioload you already have; & learn to keep one nem alive 1st.....I'd see if LFS would give store credit for 2 of those clownfish. Any more than 1 pair of clownfish per tank is a recipe for disaster, & you'll end up w/ 1 pair sooner or later anyway. Damsels are quite aggressive as well--esp. early additions. I'd rethink keeping them too.

Last edited:
I was doing it monthly. 35 percent water change. Which is about 20 gallons. Well 2 are already paired and now that the anemone is gone the swim together and sleep in groups. Well the damsels are fine. They swim with the clownfish like they are one. I'm taking one out when my breeder take gets set up along with 2 clowns

Yeah, don't bother doing what people suggest you should do. I really wonder why people ask questions and ask for help, only to then completely ignore advice they were given.

Aca: who is ignoring advice?

Swamp: thanks. I will start doing that. No one told me to do that but I will start tomorrow. I really hope he lives. He is still moving around.

By the way never feed an anemone when it is still acclimating to the tank. Did you cover all your power heads ?

Aca: who is ignoring advice?

Swamp: thanks. I will start doing that. No one told me to do that but I will start tomorrow.

I did give you that info last week in another thread you have. If wanting continued help, you might consider listening when others give you the help you ask for. Listen & learn better animal husbandry. The only ones you're hurting are the animals in your care. You should be doing weekly or bi-weekly water changes on a new tank--NOT monthly. Esp. if your chemistries are all out of whack...
At this point, post pix here, put the nem in QT & treat w/ cipro (there's a sticky on cipro treatment at top of page).

Last edited:
Actually to lower Nitrate quickly I would of 50+% water change, espeically if you have a small tank.
As long as you age the water for at least 24 hrs, same salinity and temp with in 2 degree or so, you should have no problem,

I did a 30% water change. :/ it's went down a lot. I haven't checked again yet. If it spikes again I will do a 50%

Yeah you did tell me. But the corals I have keep me from doing that. The person who I got them from told me not to do a water change all the time. Then the people at the store tell me monthly.. I'm not ignoring advice I'm listening but seriously? I don't know what to do.

What's numbers now? What corals? You never listed having any corals before. Besides, most corals require just as pristine water conditions as that anemone does. I understand all the conflicting info can be confusing, but monthly water changes...? Maybe if it was a 300gal tank, but definitely NOT a new tank.

Back