Anyone else get a wp40 wave maker yet?

Well the wp40 was about $73 with shipping it came out to about $97. Was a better deal then buying it on eBay but eBay would ship it faster.. But i can wait :)

Startup at partial voltage is not going to cause appreciable extra wear due to excessive current in this case. There's very little inertia, the "extra" current is going to be less than a fraction of a second. Go plug a maxijet in and see if you can determine how long it takes it to get up to speed. It's probably so quick that you don't even notice. That's the timeframe that it'll be drawing extra power.

Again, this is a valid concern, just not in this application. If you were talking multi-HP motors that were started hot with no cooling and were spinning gigantic heavy pieces of machinery I'd be worried. On a pump motor pulling a few hundredths of a HP sitting immersed in relatively cool water it's not an issue.

Bingo

Obstacles with respect to starting torque will be both obvious (it won't start) and easy to fix (start it at a higher speed, then ramp down to the speed you want).

octopus, this would be a good first Arduino project! I'm sure there are already people working on something.

Ive had one of the WP40 since the start of the other thread, I think people are coming here as this thread isnt as long and drawn out yet as the other.
However their is a lot of valid info in the other thread...

To the point, I would love it if someone could post a Arduino project parts list and steps to make this pump run like when hooked up to a RA. I want a RA just dont have the $ for it yet, hence why I have a MP60 one one end of my 220 and a WP40 on the other. FWIW the WP40 will reach farther across my 6ft tank than the MP60.

I dont mean to hijack your local club board, just wanted to chime on on this pump. Sure its not a gold plated Master Stream or Diamond studded MP60 but for less than $100 I now have flow where I had cyano and other algae on my 220....priceless ....

I really think you have to take one of two approaches when diving in to hobby electronics with a specific purpose in mind (controlling a pump in this case):

1) Find someone else whom you trust beyond any doubt that has done exactly what you want and make an exact copy, and cross your fingers

2) Learn how to do it yourself

You have to approach this as if you're learning a new skill set and a new approach to problem solving, not just as if you're solving a specific problem with tools you're already familiar with. If you want to be successful with embedded electronics you HAVE to consider the journey, not just the final destination.

That's my sneaky way of getting out of describing what it would take to do this. :lol: Though honestly it's a pretty simple project. I'd suggest getting a vanilla Arduino (i.e. an Uno or a clone) and playing with making an LED blink and fade. That's basically what you're doing here, except sending that signal to the pump instead of to an LED.

Thanks DZM...
I "get" what you are saying... The hardware part of the Arduino dosen't phase me a bit, as a Networking Major though I just hate "coding" the software part though... I have pulled my hair out more than once trying to debug code...

Thanks DZM...
I "get" what you are saying... The hardware part of the Arduino dosen't phase me a bit, as a Networking Major though I just hate "coding" the software part though... I have pulled my hair out more than once trying to debug code...

MATLAB has a package for arduinos and there is a 3rd party opensource environment compatible with MATLAB for programming them. I've never used that particular package, so I can't comment on how good it us, but MATLAB is about as easy as it gets with writing and debugging code. :)

ReefAngel has a lot of copy& paste code for the RA for all kinds of Vortech and Tunze wave modes. I just dont know if it will "seamlessly" transfer over to the Uno and run correctly. Even though the RA is Arduino based, it might have other Hardware and RTC type components that the uno does not...

Like DMZ said... I'l have to just byte the bullet and get one and play around with it. If I do that though my goal is to have two pumps in anti-sync, so I would sell my mp60 and get another wp40...

Here are my first impressions. A couple of pertinent points for readers here:

1) I've never used a Tunze, so cannot compare this pump to that brand.
2) I've been using an EcoTech MP40w Gen 2 for the last four years.

-This pump is much stronger than the MP40, and not in a "Maxi-jet"-concentrated-narrow-blast way. The stream is very diffuse, but even dialed back to about 75%, it's moving an RBTA on the opposite end of an 8 foot aquarium.

-This pump is much quieter than the MP40. I can't even hear it. My MP40's aren't "loud" per se; the WP40 is silent. Note: The WP40 makes a slight noise in W1 mode (which is on/off to make waves). I'm not a fan of wave motion in the aquarium, so do not use this mode.

-This pump sticks out (in?) into the inside of the aquarium about twice as far as the MP40. That may be an issue for some folks.

-The outside footprint is much smaller than the MP40. In fact, it's smaller than my original style Koralia 4's. (No more earmuff on that side of the aquarium!) This is huge for me since 12 year old kids cannot help but touch the dry side of an MP40. It's in their DNA. ;)

-I love the ability to point this pump in any direction. It's very easy to adjust, yet stays in position. Note: It did seem to "jerk" a bit when in W1 (on/off) wavemaking mode.

I have no desire to set up a program on this pump. I'm running it currently on W3 mode with the dial set at about 3/4 of the way. I think this would be something like the MP40 "Random Reefcrest" mode.

Now, the jury is still out as to whether this is "better than" the MP40, or "the next best thing" closest to an MP40. To me, the thing that will determine this is the longevity of this pump. Out of the box (aside from the lousy Pidgin instructions page), I say this pump is a contender.

Here are my first impressions. A couple of pertinent points for readers here:

1) I've never used a Tunze, so cannot compare this pump to that brand.
2) I've been using an EcoTech MP40w Gen 2 for the last four years.

-This pump is much stronger than the MP40, and not in a "Maxi-jet"-concentrated-narrow-blast way. The stream is very diffuse, but even dialed back to about 75%, it's moving an RBTA on the opposite end of an 8 foot aquarium.

-This pump is much quieter than the MP40. I can't even hear it. My MP40's aren't "loud" per se; the WP40 is silent. Note: The WP40 makes a slight noise in W1 mode (which is on/off to make waves). I'm not a fan of wave motion in the aquarium, so do not use this mode.

-This pump sticks out (in?) into the inside of the aquarium about twice as far as the MP40. That may be an issue for some folks.

-The outside footprint is much smaller than the MP40. In fact, it's smaller than my original style Koralia 4's. (No more earmuff on that side of the aquarium!) This is huge for me since 12 year old kids cannot help but touch the dry side of an MP40. It's in their DNA. ;)

-I love the ability to point this pump in any direction. It's very easy to adjust, yet stays in position. Note: It did seem to "jerk" a bit when in W1 (on/off) wavemaking mode.

I have no desire to set up a program on this pump. I'm running it currently on W3 mode with the dial set at about 3/4 of the way. I think this would be something like the MP40 "Random Reefcrest" mode.

Now, the jury is still out as to whether this is "better than" the MP40, or "the next best thing" closest to an MP40. To me, the thing that will determine this is the longevity of this pump. Out of the box (aside from the lousy Pidgin instructions page), I say this pump is a contender.

Hey scott, I just got mine in too. I'll post a video once the new tank is up and the pumps are dialed in. As a note though, I'm pretty sure the "else" mode is supposed to be like reefcrest. Having owned both of them, what is your opinion on "Else" relative to the reefcrest mode?

Hey scott, I just got mine in too. I'll post a video once the new tank is up and the pumps are dialed in. As a note though, I'm pretty sure the "else" mode is supposed to be like reefcrest. Having owned both of them, what is your opinion on "Else" relative to the reefcrest mode?

I misspoke earlier. W2 and W3 are modes where it ramps up and down (without completely stopping) at regular intervals.

The "Else" mode seems to be completely random. High speed, low speed, with variable intervals.

I would be cautious using this on an aquarium where you'd want to slow it down, but it's perfect for large systems.

Can you unplug the pump to see if it stays in its current setting. Some have posted that it reverts back to a default setting with loss of power. Just curious. Thanks---Rick

Thanks, my tank is 8' also, so if the pump will stay in a set mode, I don't plan on changing it.---Rick

I shut the outlet off on my EB8 that controls mine every night and it comes back on to the same place I had it. I have only been using wave1, not sure if that's the default but I am pretty sure out of the box it powered on at the high constant flow setting.

Thanks for the input. I think that the W1 mode is maybe the default mode as some have posted. I have read posts indicating both that the WP40 stays in its set mode on power outage, and others that it changes to a dealt mold. :confused:

Thanks for the input. I think that the W1 mode is maybe the default mode as some have posted. I have read posts indicating both that the WP40 stays in its set mode on power outage, and others that it changes to a dealt mold. :confused:

I just tested this.

I'm running in 'Else' mode. I unplugged the pump for a few minutes and then plugged it back in.

The pump restarted in 'Else' mode, so it looks like it saves the last setting.

Back