Anyone else get a wp40 wave maker yet?

Just put one on my frag trough. This video is on Wave 1. As you can see it moves water all the way across an 8 foot system. I have it on my sps side and it moves through the lps in the middle and too the zoas and the end. Everything is flowing nicely and the detritus has gone away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo5K7WTiJ70

now that you have used one. Do you think it can be dialed back far enough for a 34 gallon solona? (20x20x20)

I would say it could be dialed back with a controller other than stock. If you use stock only use low speed. Every other mode is gonna move too much too fast. I would wait to see what the wp25 has to offer when it comes out in a tank that size.

Better off to wait for the WP20 Eric. Will probably also have a smaller footprint, also good for a smaller tank ;)

Vortechs are "Assembled in the USA"

Says it in the bottom of the box

'Assembled' in the USA? It depends on the definition of the word assembled.

Components manufactured in China then assembled in the USA probably.

Need to think ask yourself, "What's not made in China"

Just food for thought

I used the varible controller to dial it in. I think that it may have too big of a footprint in a 20x20x20 tank

Question for those who own one. What was your first impression? And a few days/weeks later how do you feel about your pump?

After one week i have switched to the reefcrest mode (ELSO i believe). Since my trough is a bare bottem i build up a good amount of detritus. Since adding this pump i must say that the detritus as dropped by half on the bottom of the trough. Thing is def helping let the skimmer and socks do their job. I will keep ya'll updated in another week.

I'm still digging mine. I agree with the above comment re. keeping detritus in suspension.

Just waiting on the longevity verdict...

I've had 2 of the on the new 75 for a few days now on else mode, and they are just excellent. I have them on opposite sides of the tank pointing not-quite at each other dialed back to 16 volts on else mode. I might try turning them up eventually, but right now that amount of flow is working well.

The standing wave mode (w1) definitely suspends detritus well. I'm thinking I want to build an arduino to control the pumps so they can go into the standing wave mode for like an hour a day automatically. I don't really care for the look of the wave, but it might help keep the tank cleaner in the long term. Here's hoping it lasts :)

Update. Got a starter kit for my arduino. And things are starting to make sense. At this point i want to make a low pass filter to convert PWM to 0-10 analog and a PWM to 0-5 analog. I understand its a resistor and a capacitor. For each filter i want to create a true analog sine wave. Or at least as close as possible. I am just asking for advice for the ohm value and uf value needed for each filter.

Thank you in advanced.

Loving it still. Since last posting, I've switched to a wave setting. I don't have it set so there's a large surface wave; rather soft corals and nems gently sway back and forth throughout the length of the aquarium. (I switched after seeing how G's frag tanks at ABC are running.)

The corals have responded well. Since I've made the switch, the Red Planet colony has started more of a branching growth pattern instead of flatly encrusting along the rock when I had the MP40 blasting it. You can check it out on my webcam (preset #2) on the extreme right-hand side of the aquarium.

I have had mine running for about a month now and still love it. I have it set at w1 setting and my corals love it and my sps have grown in different areas but who is too say that it's y wp40 doing that.. Am in the process of getting a wp25 too have it on the opposite side of my 180 even tho I think that one wp40 is enough..

Does any one who are running these switch there settings every few days. I was told too switch it for one setting to another's I that your corals grow better but is this true?

I have had 2 on my 75 for about a month on else mode (dialed down to 16V each on with a variable power supply) and they are still performing like champs. Love these pumps. When I vacuum the tank or am blowing off rocks with a turkey baster I just have 1 of them on W1 mode and the return pump, and it does a good job keeping the detritus suspended. Other than that, always on "else" mode.

Got one in the mail this week. It's larger than I thought. Haven't run it yet.

Back