Aquastyleonline.com LED questions.

Noob question, don't want to burn down the house...

Noob question, don't want to burn down the house...

Hi everyone,

I just ordered two dimmable sets of LEDs, one for my 35g (36 LEDs) and the other for my office nano at 8g (14 LEDs).

After setting everything up, if I put the pots at full setting, will this damage anything at all on the system. Overheat? Bad for drivers/LEDs? I am asking so that I do not do anything wrong or burn any buildings down. I will try to do my best to get a meter to run PARs for both tanks but would like to know what my limits are prior to turning the lighting on. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

http://www.micronor.com/products.php?category=Potentiometers - Motorized and Manual&offset=0

Was just a quick browse, but it seems you can get motorized pots that take 0-10v inputs :p. Those ones are on the bigger side, and no clue on how expensive they are, but if you find a cheap motorized potentiometer that takes a 0-10v analog signal to run the servo then bam, you could hook the dimmer circuit to the wiper and a leg and control it that way, and that would be with a dim4.

Again, I'm not sure how it pans out cost wise against just meanwells, or building an arduino, but it's worth looking into.

I'm kinda tempted to start an arduino project for these drivers just to help out, but I definitely gotta finish the light fixture first... Mine will likely go up just using my dc8 and a 120v relay to break the dimmer circuit for moonlighting though at first :)

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/SPIDigitalPot

And there's an arduino sketch for a digital pot (6 channel digitial pot at that)

Great minds think alike dread... I considered both of these options before I even ordered my kit. It's the main reason it took me over a month to place my order. Too much indecision... lol. I didn't really follow through on the motorized potentiometer idea or find the link you posted to the supplier above. I may have to look more into that. I abandoned the motorized pot idea early just figuring it wouldn't be cost effective, and also giving quick thought to having to do a motor controller to reverse the motor drive to do brighten and dim. If I'm gonna do a motor controller I might as well do an arduino or even a homebrew led driver. I did however see the arduino page you linked. I suppose I could go down that road and was considering it. My only problem is I know myself, and if I start to futz with an arduino I'm in big trouble. Lately I have been trying to increase my social life and not render it extinct. :) I think I would have a hard time avoiding the pull of an arduino to automate EVERYTHING I can think of even if someone else did all the work on the dimmer controller as far as a parts list and a sketch for the coding. I'm serious. My GF would probably dump me and my social life that I have been trying to recover the past few years would turn and head right back down the drain. :) She already accuses me of being a "dork".
She does seem to like that I appear to be somewhat intelligent at times though so there is some balance. lol

Nick

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I just ordered two dimmable sets of LEDs, one for my 35g (36 LEDs) and the other for my office nano at 8g (14 LEDs).

After setting everything up, if I put the pots at full setting, will this damage anything at all on the system. Overheat? Bad for drivers/LEDs? I am asking so that I do not do anything wrong or burn any buildings down. I will try to do my best to get a meter to run PARs for both tanks but would like to know what my limits are prior to turning the lighting on. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

bump for my question? I will be receiving the lights this Friday and would love to be prepared... :)

nope thats fine, bc it will be as if you had a constant current driver. on/off..... all good proceed :)

Great, thank you for the reply. I actually just checked my shipping status and it's being delivered today, not tomorrow!

I'll post up a build for everyone once I'm done. Thanks

I just received my kit and since I am still at work, quickly went through the box to see what I got. I found this...

IMG_2149.JPG

IMG_2148.JPG

Why is this in there? Was I supposed to get this? Is this to check each individual LED prior to mounting them on the heatsinks? I'm confused by this power source with switch I got... :(

yea you plug in 2 double A batts which you can then test out each one of your led's before you put your kit together. They probably also included extra LED's just in case you got any that are no good.

Thats pretty cool that they included that, dont be confused be happy, otherwise you would have to make your own testing rig... or you could also use your Multimeter to test... either way works though.

Pretty neat.

Lights for my 8g Biocube nano

Lights for my 8g Biocube nano

Just finished my light build.

Didn't have beer, so I had some wine. A must for a build like this. In the picture is the heatsink with lights, wiring all done, connected directly to a project box that I purchased today for $4. Drilled some holes into the box for the two power cords, two cords going to the lights, and two for the potentiometers you see on the cover. The box also holds the two dimmable drivers mounted to the bottom of the box.

Wine, lights, and almost done
26EBC3F3-01F4-4636-864B-DAC3D41716B7.JPG

Close up of the project box
C4DCBF26-7CF2-4BBF-B198-A377ADA81A4A.JPG

Top view of everything
59802D80-CF84-441A-B41E-F8F8B92A7861.JPG

Next round of photos are of the lights on. Honestly, I couldn't wait to try this out on a tank. These lights are actually for my 8g Biocube, but I had to see what it looked like so I put it on my 35 gallon. Actually, I'm currently building a hood for the 35. I have a second set of DIY LEDs that I bought just for this tank. The one going on the 35 will have 36 LEDs and set 7" above the water line. As you can see, I'm excited and impatient to see how the lights look on a tank.

Impatience... I set the lights on top of the stock cover that comes with stock crappy lights on most tanks
5AA66342-24DF-4113-858B-C2C4CF904079.JPG

How five LEDs look on a 35 gallon... 18 inch height on the tank
FEFA0802-A7E8-4BEA-830F-49BCEC9E2B23.JPG

Close up of the left side of the tank (like everyone else using their iPhone to take photos, I can't get the white balance right and it does the lights no justice
B55E5D70-0055-4E18-9063-9AD91C4ABF26.JPG

This is just too much fun... I'll post again when I finish the lights for the 35.

How many of these leds would I need for a 75g tank. I am planning to upgrade from 4x54 t5s.

it all depends on your scaping and what you plan too keep. at a minium i would say 48, maximum 72, if you have a canopy and want to build it your self, i would go the c-channel route. very light material and easy to hang.
if you are not big on diy, i would buy the kits with heatsinks and have them put it together for you, it's only 10bucks extra. just send them an email and you are good.

I do have a canopy and dont mind doing it myself as long as it isnt over complicated. My aquascaping is 2 islands kind of thing but maybe changing that. Is there a prefered aquascape for them.

no, get the 72 led kit and channels from
http://www.speedymetals.com/pc-2531-8348-1-14-x-1-14-x-18-channel-6063-t52-aluminum-extruded.aspx

I would get 3ft on a 4ft tank and put 18 leds on each channel.
that's 4 channels of 18, i would do 36 white 10k and 32 royal blue
with 2 red and 2 uv. put the uv on the white strings and the reds on the blue strings. i have not tried this combo myself, but i believe it wil be a great color combo, you can also go with 50/50 10k W and royal blue. some have replaced the 10k white for 4500k white or 6500k white. i really like the 10k whites.

Thank you nemo. I will ask one more question Could I get the 36 kit and continue to run 2 t5s and then do another 36 kit later. I only ask because household six is gonna resrict me spending lol. Also could I run it on just under 4 ft channel so that I dont have any dark spots. Thank you again for all your help.

I guess after reading all day I better ask couple more questions. Since it is in a canopy do I need 80 degree optics because it is only 6 or so inches off the water. Also would a digital aquatics lite control work to set up light cycles on these lie sunrise sunset and maybe even a storm here and there. I just know if I spend more money it better do just about everything lol. thanks again

I guess after reading all day I better ask couple more questions. Since it is in a canopy do I need 80 degree optics because it is only 6 or so inches off the water. Also would a digital aquatics lite control work to set up light cycles on these lie sunrise sunset and maybe even a storm here and there. I just know if I spend more money it better do just about everything lol. thanks again
you can put 80's on the outside leds and 60 in the middle, and yes you can run t-5's with them, you just have to get the right bulb combo, also if you want to use these with a controller, you will have to get meanwell drivers instead of the the maxwellen drivers, this will also add to your cost, because the maxwellen can run up to 20 leds on one driver where as the meanwells will not do more than 14 i believe. with 36 leds, that's 3-4 meanwells vs 2 maxwellen.so if you go with meanwells, i suggest 48 leds, this way you can run 12 leds on each driver for total control.

In a canopy that close to the water you may find that you don't need the optics, so try it both ways. My concernt with them that close to the water is that even with 80 degree optics you may notice some spotlighing on the areas of your aquascate that are higher up. Possibly you would not use optics on the areas that are above you hightest rock work and then use some 80s and 60s at the perimeter as nemo suggests. Play around with it a bit, that's half the fun of DIY :)

you can put 80's on the outside leds and 60 in the middle, and yes you can run t-5's with them, you just have to get the right bulb combo, also if you want to use these with a controller, you will have to get meanwell drivers instead of the the maxwellen drivers, this will also add to your cost, because the maxwellen can run up to 20 leds on one driver where as the meanwells will not do more than 14 i believe. with 36 leds, that's 3-4 meanwells vs 2 maxwellen.so if you go with meanwells, i suggest 48 leds, this way you can run 12 leds on each driver for total control.

keep an eye on this thread for the ability to controll the maxwellen drivers, there have been a couple workable solutions posted, but not develeoped yet. The meanwells would be simpler as they work with most off the shelf controllers. you will need the 'D' version that uses 0-10volt for dimming, these can also be dimmed using a wall wort and pots if you don't have a controller right away. Aquastyleonline is happy to make substitutions just email them, you would just pay a little more for the meanwell drivers. You can also substitute LED combinations beyond their standard selection as well as get a combination of optics with the kits.

Also the Meanwell drivers are easily capable of running 24 LEDs if you run paralell stings. It just getts a little more complicated to wire everything up. (do a search, there are lots of threads on the subject of paralell strings and how to use them) If not using paralell strings you have to be sure to properly adjust the meanwell drivers for you LEDs or you could risk burning them up really fast!

Oh, and I thought I should meantion that you will want to have some kind of splash gaurd with the LEDs that close to the water.

Thanks Zach. So if I go with the better drivers and wire them not parallel do I just run more drivers. I like diy stuff but other than car stereo and home audio I am an electrical idiot. So if I just use what they send will it still be controlable. My rock only goes just over halfway high in the tank. I will be getting a controler probably right away. Does it matter if I get a neptune lite or da lite. Thank you everyone once again. I know I keep saying one more question but its like one answer leads to another question lol. I just want to do it right.... As for mounting I was thanking about getting a piece Of aluminum and hand polishing it then use piece of very thin plexi or lexan over the lights

Thanks Zach. So if I go with the better drivers and wire them not parallel do I just run more drivers. I like diy stuff but other than car stereo and home audio I am an electrical idiot.

You are correct, you would just need more drivers just as nemo pointed out. generally people use 12 leds per meanwell driver though many have done 14 or more, it just depends on the LED and alot of other factors. 12 is a safe bet when using the bridgelux leds as they have a bit higher forward voltage than other LEDs. If you can handle home and car audio and are up for a LED build you could probably handle the parralell string concept as well. I'ts just more research and a bit more work. but everyone around here is really pretty helpful when it comes to figuring all that out. Kcress has a lot of good threads that get into the parralell string technical stuff that are rather interesting and informative.

So if I just use what they send will it still be controlable.

if you order the dimmable kit it will allow you to controll the relative brightness of each driver via the included potentiometers. I think this is discussed in the first couple of pages of the thread. You could then have the drivers turn on and off with timers like you would with t5 flouescent. dimming though is manully controlled. So far the maxwellen drivers don't seem to be compatible with conventional controllers that are on the market. back earlier in this thread some diy options were suggested but they havent' been figured out completely yet. stay tuned......

If you have them substitute dimmable meanwell drivers then yes they will be conttollable but it will cost a bit more. You might email them and ask what the charge would be to do that, they have been quick to reply to my inquires about substitutions on the order I placed a week or so ago.

My rock only goes just over halfway high in the tank.

you could probably get away with just using the 80degree optics maybe using 60s around the front and sides. Nice thing is you can get some of each, and as I understand their optics kind of snap in place over the led star so they will stay in place with out glue while you figure out where you want to use which optics. and if you like the look with no optics better they can be easily removed.

I will be getting a controler probably right away. Does it matter if I get a neptune lite or da lite. Thank you everyone once again. I know I keep saying one more question but its like one answer leads to another question lol. I just want to do it right.... As for mounting I was thanking about getting a piece Of aluminum and hand polishing it then use piece of very thin plexi or lexan over the lights

I'm not that familiar with either controller so maybe others can make a recommendation. as far as how they controll the lights I beleive the both use a 0-10volt signal to controll dimmable Meanwell type drivers. so either would work the same. If you plan on using all the other controller functions of these things (temp, wave timers, heaters, ph probes, ATO, etc) then these are probably a good solution.

But if you only need to controll the lights and don't need the other features then there are other less expensive DIY type options many of which out there that work better as a light controller IMHO. many of them are more or less off the shelf ready to go, just need to find something to enclose them in and provide a power supply.

as for mounting what do you mean about the polished piece of aluminum? LEDs need to be mounted to heat sinks like the C channel that nemo posted alink to. a flat piece of aluminum might not work very well.

the lexan's a good choice and is a must to keep the salt water from splashing on them.

Basically the aluminum will go to the C-channel It was a trick we used to make car amp racks look nice and keep it a little cooler. It kind of makes fins that way

_V_V_V_V_ Kinda would look like this.The v would be c channel and underlines are polished aluminum sheet. Plus the pollished aluminum would reflect come light back down into the tank. as well as painting inside of canopy white. Thank you for all your help I think I will order the 36 to start then add another 36 in short while and udgrade drivers when ordering. I love this place everyone is so helpful

Back