Aquastyleonline.com LED questions.

I just ordered the 90 LED kit with the 3 UV and 3 Red LEDs. I plan to use 72 LEDs over my 120 build and retrofit the remaining 18 LEDs into my Solana's disco ball fixture.

The site lists the LED driver as running up to 20 LEDs, so I'll try to retrofit 20 into the discoball fixture.

I'll post updates as I build

I just ordered the 90 LED kit with the 3 UV and 3 Red LEDs. I plan to use 72 LEDs over my 120 build and retrofit the remaining 18 LEDs into my Solana's disco ball fixture.

The site lists the LED driver as running up to 20 LEDs, so I'll try to retrofit 20 into the discoball fixture.

I'll post updates as I build

what heatsinks did you go with? are you planning on drilling and screwing the leds in or glueing them?

what ratio of white to blue did you go with.

cant wait to see updates

I just ordered the 72kit for my 75gal. I upgraded the drivers to meanwells and are running them parallel. I ordered 44royal blues, 4 reds, 12-10000k whites and 12-6500k whites, all with 80* optics. Each drivers are running 24leds, which the meanwells seem to have enough Power for at least 26 of them . I have one driver wired and tested it out last night, I had to turn the sv2 (inside the meanwell) down quite a bit in order to drive each string around 650ma. Does anyone know if these LEDs can be safely ran higher than 650ma? I was under the impression that 700 was the max? Anyway this is what I have done as of now.
01-15-12_1743.jpg

any rhyme or reason to why some have optic covers on them and some dont?

i have a question ive been running 2 60w cree fixtures i upgraded my tank so i needed 1 more fixture so i orderd the 24 led kit from aquastyle 12 white and 12 blue but the blue looks more purple or pink to me i like the look alot more so im going to order 2 more kits to replace the crees i just dont know if he mixed up the order and sent me something other than royal blue they were marked blue but look nothing like the royal blue crees do your blues well look blue :hmm4: thanks for any info

I don't have not done any first hand side by side comparisons yet but plan to at some point. From what I've read many of the ready made CREE fixtures particular the older ones from china or that type anyway, they tended to use 460-470nm cool blue rather than the 445-455nm royal blue range. which fixtures do you have?

I just got my 24LED kit in yesterday and to me, not haveing anything to compare to the Royal blues other than the violets, they look rather blue. Ive got some cool blue on the way though so we'll see :) and I might have to order a Cree or two just for comparsion sake. If I do a side by side I'll post pictures but that's going to be a ways off right now. My first goal is to get the fixture up and running and then I'll start to play with the left over leds.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I still have to finish the front of the assembly. I just couldn't wait to get it on the tank so it will probably be this weekend's project. It's just getting a front and 2 sides so that you don't see the heatsinks/drivers.

The frame is .020 square aluminum that was tig welded so you don't see any hardware underneath at all. I haven't removed the plastic off the lexan as I'm already scared of burning corals with how much par that thing put out even at like 50% power. I'll probably wait 2-3 weeks to remove the plastic, and then slowly bump it up from there.

what heatsinks did you go with? are you planning on drilling and screwing the leds in or glueing them?

what ratio of white to blue did you go with.

cant wait to see updates

I plan to mount the LEDs to 4 strips of u channel using the paste. I prefer the 14k look so I'm going roughly with a 50/50 ratio of 10k CW and RB. I say roughly because I'll be incorporating some red and uv LEDs as well.

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

I still have to finish the front of the assembly. I just couldn't wait to get it on the tank so it will probably be this weekend's project. It's just getting a front and 2 sides so that you don't see the heatsinks/drivers.

The frame is .020 square aluminum that was tig welded so you don't see any hardware underneath at all. I haven't removed the plastic off the lexan as I'm already scared of burning corals with how much par that thing put out even at like 50% power. I'll probably wait 2-3 weeks to remove the plastic, and then slowly bump it up from there.

Very nice work!! How long did it take to solder all that? What's the secret to soldering? Any chance you could show some full tank shots please?

progress

progress

Here is where I am at so far. The dimensions are 72" x 12" total of 108 leds

This is a picture with where I am at now.. all the Leds are mounted and the first series of 18 rb are wired up.

The ammount of light these bridgelux leds put out is making me think that 8" about the water at 100% might not be an option for some time since I'm comming from 3x 175watt mh

Attachments

• led.jpg
    led.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 3
looking really good guys, gammer 100, can you explain your rig, it looks like all the blues clustered together, do you have groups of blue, then white then blue etc?
i would think with the way it looks in the pic, you are not going to get a good color mix, you will have a blue and white area's in your tank, am i just seeing wrong?

Phishguy, Sweat looking setup.

I have 60 rb and 48 10k whites... I have them evenly spaced.. the center channel actually has 8 leds per opening in the tank while the outside 4 have 7. I did this because that is where a majority of my corals are located. I will try to get the remaining blues and whites in that section wired up tonight and put an updated pic up tomorrow. I have 80 deg lens's for the whites to help space them out as there are a few number of them.

I want to get a meter and check the par w/out optics because I feel it is enough light to keep the par up and prevent blind spots underneath the black center braces on the tank.

The actual layout of the leds per opening are

RB--W--RB--W--RB--W--RB
W--RB--W--RB--W--RB--W
RB-RB-W-RB-RB-W-RB-RB
W--RB--W--RB--W--RB--W
RB--W--RB--W--RB--W--RB

Between each c-channel is roughly 1.5"

Last edited:
thanks for the reply zachts my cree fixtures are the 60w from ocreef the same ones stark and swc sells now they both say the royal blue is between 445-455nm so i dont know i guess ill order 2 more from aquastyle i wasted money on the crees fixtures after seeing aquastyles :headwally: owell thanks again

Round one of color comparison side by sides.
The Whites from Left to right: 4500k, 6500k, 10000k. (aquastyle Bridgelux)

I have a 3100k on the way from some where else to see if it's any warmer than the 4500, just for fun :)

tomorrow night If the other blues I ordered arrive I'll do a side by side of the violet, Royal blue, and a cool blue.

I have them runing at ~330ma with a sure electronics driver for the tests, If I can find a one of my 24volt power supplies I'll get the whole line up in a shot if I can.........

Signing off, need to get at least a little sleep before work tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_7661.jpg
    IMG_7661.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 5
Here's pics of the final product.. less the acrylic shield I will be putting in fron of the led's.

LEDWIREDUP.jpg

LEDPOWER.jpg

LEDBRAIN.jpg

LEDCORAL.jpg

As you can see.. my "un"smart phones camera doesn't like the blue spectrum.. but I promise you color pop off the corols is pretty intense.

+1 for bridgelux!!!!!!!!

Round one of color comparison side by sides.
The Whites from Left to right: 4500k, 6500k, 10000k. (aquastyle Bridgelux)

I have a 3100k on the way from some where else to see if it's any warmer than the 4500, just for fun :)

tomorrow night If the other blues I ordered arrive I'll do a side by side of the violet, Royal blue, and a cool blue.

I have them runing at ~330ma with a sure electronics driver for the tests, If I can find a one of my 24volt power supplies I'll get the whole line up in a shot if I can.........

Signing off, need to get at least a little sleep before work tomorrow.

update on my comparison.

left to right, Aquasyle 4500k, Aquasyle 6500k, SatisLed 3500, (satisled is off of EBay but it seems this is a nice warm white LED. just for comparison.....

I'm still waiting on the rest of the blues but I will post thos pic when I have them.

When I find my 24v power supply I'll post all the whites and blues in one pic for reference...........

Attachments

• IMG_7720.jpg
    IMG_7720.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I took some better measured Numbers of the LED's
IMG_20111207_234644.jpg

40LED's Bridgelux all running at 650ma LED's are 2" off center(length wise) and 1.5" off center(width)

Light is suspended approximately 12" from the water surface
@LED(1LED millimeters off) Maxed out the Meter or something would not go higher or lower 2899 or so.
@6" from Fixture - +1000
@12" from fixture - 700ish
-----------------------------------------------
Below water:
+6" - 460
+10" - 400
+14" - 350
+16" - 280
+20" - 230
+26" - 180

The sand bad was about the same did not fluctuate much surprisingly.... this is as center of the fixture as i could be, i may have gone off on some of the picture but i use a measure to get as accurate as i could on the depths.

Pretty impressive at near 38" from the light I am still able to get enough light to grow SPS. This is again at about center soon as i taper off too much the numbers go down.... this is unfortunately due to the 60* optics. I don't know if i should change the optics to 80* or if i should just change the fixture to run all the way across with 5 total C channels with 60* optics. If i do the c channel i feel as if i am going to need more LED's to compensate for what i fear will be par loss. I need to return the PAR meter(rented from local club) and unfortunately i don't have my T5 bulbs yet so i wont be able to tell how much of a difference the T5's would have made.

I Been losing sleep thinking about these LEDs. I was at a local reefers house and saw these... Amazing.Those numbers you posted Madtanks sealed the deal for me, i will be buying the 36 unit for my tank. The Violets are curently out of stock so i will be waiting for those.

I was hoping someone could give me a suggestion for drivers.

I am going to run 108 leds with 54 white and 54 blue and i want to be able to control it with my reef keeper.
I was thinking of using the meanwell HLG-185-42B with 6 strings of 9 leds on each string.

Any other suggestions would be great
thanks

if you will be using them on a 20 Gal. you will have way more PAR than i at the sandbed!! I would certainly make sure you went either no optics, or 80* or you will burn some Coral, I did at about 6"(frag tank) killed some of my babies :( so be very careful.

Thanks for the warning. I'll either run them with no optics only for a few hrs a day for awhile to see what happens and also raise them If i need to.

if you will be using them on a 20 Gal. you will have way more PAR than i at the sandbed!! I would certainly make sure you went either no optics, or 80* or you will burn some Coral, I did at about 6"(frag tank) killed some of my babies :( so be very careful.

Back