Aquastyleonline.com LED questions.

Just thought i would share a pic of my 120 kit i just got wired up 60rb 57 10k and 3 pinks, 60 degree optics on blues and whites pinks have no optics. I drilled two holes next to each led to hide most of the wiring behind the "heatsink", the last pic shows one wired up with the optic on. I am pretty stoked to get it over the tank which is a standard 120g 48"x24"x24"
2012-03-06113343.jpg

2012-03-09112112.jpg

2012-03-07092800.jpg

cant you use their code for individual input start at 1 and 16 and 32 and increment one every 10 min ? and at 1 16 32 have a array and driver dimming wire till you increment to 16 then stop then in x hrs reverse may not be as flexible OR not? just finding i still like tinkering :) got to stay away from these places HHEE

I'd have to do a bit of reading on how they work. Quite honestly from what I had seen previously was that you had to cycle through all of them and couldn't command a single pin to do one thing or another. if you can then it's not a huge deal to turn one pin off and then turn the second one on in the very next line of code. Would probably happen so fast your eye couldn't even notice it.

I guess I'll order one of them too on my next purchase. I'm still waiting for my .1 ohm resistors to come in so I can actually have a fully functioning dimmer circuit on the breadboard to videotape :p

I'd have to do a bit of reading on how they work. Quite honestly from what I had seen previously was that you had to cycle through all of them and couldn't command a single pin to do one thing or another. if you can then it's not a huge deal to turn one pin off and then turn the second one on in the very next line of code. Would probably happen so fast your eye couldn't even notice it.

I guess I'll order one of them too on my next purchase. I'm still waiting for my .1 ohm resistors to come in so I can actually have a fully functioning dimmer circuit on the breadboard to videotape :p

See edit; I'm not 100% sure that chip will handle the current we need it to.

That IC has a control pin for every switch, so I'm assuming you can control them independently.

Sort of off topic, I may have acquired a $1500 4pst teledyne TTL controlled RF switch from work. The fourth port sticks, but since I wouldn't be using it for RF, return loss and attenuation don't really matter so I might crack it open and see if I can free it up.

I played around with it briefly and there is no DC blocking, so I might be able to find a use for it. Just gotta give it some time to see if the powers that be want to send it back or anything.

That looks great what did you use for the heat sink? it will light the bottom of your tank for sure.

I actually used some crap alluminum that i had in the garage here are a couple pics. Note the second pic is just laying there and the mounting surface appears to be "staggered" but after i mounted it to the angle it is perfectly level.
CIMG0076.jpg

CIMG0081.jpg

2012-03-06113328.jpg

CorbetJackson50
I never have things like that just old computers and stacks of wood but then i build cabinets and hobby computers now Salt Water . That is a very cool Light what are you going to use for a splash shield? Is it in a canopy?

blesk

I may do that but i have a Apex controller already i just like to DIY and maybe save some money maybe That is a very a nice controller if your handy i believe that the Typhon is a DIY project that is here on Reef Central you can get the plans for it.

dread240 is talking about a Arduino controller build out and a redundant backup of critical things sounds like a good idea and fun too.

Last edited:
You caught onto the transformers and bridge rectifier didn't you :p

It's not just backup... think of the effects of a varying frequency DC square wave and how that would work once put through a transformer :evil: .... not just fun for ecotech owners

CorbetJackson50
I never have things like that just old computers and stacks of wood but then i build cabinets and hobby computers now Salt Water . That is a very cool Light what are you going to use for a splash shield? Is it in a canopy?

In the pic with it all lit up it has an acrylic splash guard. i am also going to put an outer frame on it also aluminum trim pieces i had laying around. It will be in a canopy.

have you picked out the pump you are going to use? that sounds like it will be a big money saver and make you popular here :) water proof?

Last edited:
I've already got 3 hydor koralia's which will be put to use. It's still a ways off on that though considering I haven't even finished the dimmer setup first. Just been really busy.

I can't take full credit for that idea though, when I was training at our factory the training engineer showed me that working as that's how they build their variable rpm inverter generators :p

All I'm building is a lightweight tiny VFD (Variable Frequency Drive), so you'd just plug an existing pump into it and vary anywhere from 15-60hz instead of the fixed 60hz from the utility company. Could possibly go past 60hz depending on the pump for more output and higher rotational speeds too :)

Last edited:
now i know what my next purchase will be. programmable for random flow?
how about a bigger version for a closed loop with reef flow or next gen? same thing right how much power does it use to vary? efficiency ? You make me think to hard now i have to google more and get out 30 year old school books and read.

Back