ASM Skimmer Club!

Anyone know where I can buy uniseals for my g2 body? I have 2 holes I need to plug up. I don't want the recirculation mod on it anymore.

-Thanks

Awesome! I found them too. Now I need to figure out what size these holes are...

Anyone know of anything more clever on covering up drilled holes on a skimmer? Some type of pvc plug? Help guys.

Thanks

The uniseals are pretty simple. Put them in place and insert some PVC piping with a cap glued on. Because the skimmer plastic is so thin, they will probably not completely seal. The price for uniseals really varies so google and look at a few sources. Good luck.

Hey Safedad I'm confused about the modification. How is fresh sump water getting into the skimmer chamber if your sedra input is pulling from the skimmer chamber itself and then pumping back into the chamber? Wouldn't you just be recirculating the same water forever. There must be more to this modification no? I think there's something that I missed.

Thanks for clearing up things on this for me. :)

Trojan

When you do a recirc mod,you have to drill an extra hole in the skimmer body so that you can feed the skimmer water.He just didnt show the pic of it.

3 days of muck from an unmodded G3

3 days of muck from an unmodded G3

This is 3 days worth of muck from an un-modded ASM G3. I have played with this skimmer since owning it and found that the depth of the water that it sits in DOES make a difference on foam production. The water level in my sump is in the middle of the return line on the skimmer, at this level this skimmer is working better than it ever has....

52330Skimmer_Muck-med.jpg

:beer:

Looks yummy. Can you describe where is the middle of the return line a little more? Is that the middle of the body of the skimmer?

Attachments

• asm.pdf
    9 KB · Views: 1
Uniseals can be bought from many different sources. For the "good" ones I like to get them from savko plastics. Custom aquatics has the asm uniseals that are a little easier to work with when using them on the asm skimmers. Use silicone grease (get mine from aubuchon hardware) or some type of lubricant (like veg oil, thanks luke) to make insertion much easier then just wipe it off from the inside part of the pump fittings. Believe me it makes a difference lol. As far as sealing up those holes I have wondered the same. I have a few ideas and of course the best is the hardest lol I'll get back to you all another time on that one.

Re: Ozone and ASM

Re: Ozone and ASM

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12676658#post12676658 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fazgood
Anyone know if ASM skimmers are ozone safe?

Thanks,

Faz

Yes they are.

Does the ASM Mini G skim as good as the other ASM's? I've noticed that its the only one in the ASM line up that uses a different pump. Thinking about getting one for my Nano tank.
Any thoughts on the Mini G?
Thanks.....

Sorry, to take so long to reply -hard drive crashed. Yes, You have to make two holes. One is below the original hole. It serves as the supply for the pump. The original hole is the recirculated water returning to the skimmer. You have to drill another hole above the original hole for a supply. Mine was about three inches below the top joint. I have two returns coming from my CPR overflow and put one in there. I drilled a 1 3/4" hole and used a uniseal for both new holes. I put a 45 on the end of the supply so it would swirl down rather than just blast across. I also reduced it from 1" down to 1/2" pvc so it would fit. When I pull it to start my new 90, I am going to put a T with 45's on each side. I will have to cut them down so they will fit inside the cylinder.
Good luck

I have a few questions about the ASM G3:

Will an ASM G3 accommodate a 180 gallon SPS tank that's moderately stocked?

How does the G3 respond to tank feeding and nearby cooking i.e. will the skimmer flatline/stop working for hours, minutes? etc

Does the skimmer require regular tinkering/adjustment?

Thanks in advance

Rick

I own an asm G4+,and I can say the pumps on these skimmers suck.The sedras are not very good pumps for skimmer use.A lot of peopl have there own opinion,but a lot of them dont even know how much air the pump is pulling.For a 900gph pump mine only pulls 15 scfh with the stock needle wheel.I have the mesh to mod it with,but the mesh will not help the pump to pull in more air,it only aids in chopping up the bubbles better then the needlewheel.

Personally if your looking into asm,I would go with an msx instead.My friend just recently bought an msx 200 for his system and it performs very well straight out the box.With a little tweaking it can perform even better.No matter what you do to the sedra pumps they will not perform much better.Well this has been my experience with several of sedra 9000's that I have toyed with.

Alpine, having clicked on your "little red house," I can say your tank looks pretty damn good. What skimmer are you running on the tank in the picture

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12808969#post12808969 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rick55555
Alpine, having clicked on your "little red house," I can say your tank looks pretty damn good. What skimmer are you running on the tank in the picture

To be honest I need to update my webpage.Thats my old 75 gallon that we had setup before we moved from Chicago down here to Florida.That tank had an etss 800 skimmer on it.I sold it right before we moved in fear of losing all the livestock during the move.We drove down here in a uhaul truck that decided to break down in Indianapolis,leaveing us stuck there for the night.If I had tried to move the system with us,I would of lost everything.

Right now I am running a impact skimmer 400 on my new 75 and it is performing way better then my asm ever did.In the next few months I plan to upgrade to a msx 250 or 300 if I dont end up building a diy skimmer.

By the way thanks for the comment on my old setup.

Back