ASM Skimmer Club!

can anyone give me the footprint of a g3 after the recir mod has been done? i am upgrading to a bigger tank and wont be able to do the mod till the transfer and i am working on putting the baffles in the new sump now. i just need the longest point(from end of pump to other side of skimmer. thanks, jamie

Hey guys,

What is the actual purpose or benefit of doing the Gate Valve mod? I'm in the process of doing it to my G2 right now, but I can't really understand the logic of it. Especially since the gate valve is attached to the output of the skimmer. How does it tune the skimmer if its on the output? Just by allowing less water out of the skimmer, thus forcing more water to stay in?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12394945#post12394945 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bladeruner143
Hey guys,

What is the actual purpose or benefit of doing the Gate Valve mod? I'm in the process of doing it to my G2 right now, but I can't really understand the logic of it. Especially since the gate valve is attached to the output of the skimmer. How does it tune the skimmer if its on the output? Just by allowing less water out of the skimmer, thus forcing more water to stay in?

It doesn't improve the performance of the skimmer per se but it makes it easier to keep the water line inside the skimmer exactly where you want it and it reduces exterior splashing. It's really helpful if you have the skimmer in a sump chamber that has a constant water level and isn't affected by evaporation.

Morty is right. It is also very helpful if the skimmer goes wild. It makes it very easy to drop the height of the bubbles. If yours is in a sump, it is handy to have the top of the cone below the top of the sump. You can then take the cup off, have it spill down the sides, not out of the sump, and don't change the setting of your gate valve. A gate valve is much easier to make a fine adjustment than a ball valve. I labeled the four wings on my valve (I-IIII) so could remember how much change I made from time to time.
I also would like to know the footprint on a recirc mod with a sedra (G-3)??? I haven't gotten an answer to this question on about 4 forums! Come on Reef Central - you know the answer! Am moving from a 55 gal display to a 90 gal and would like to plumb it up before I make the move.
Thanks,
Bob

Break in

Break in

I have a new G3 that is being broken in a tub curen some rock. Currently there are no micro bubbles, just large (1/8 -1/4 diameter) bubbles. When will this thing start producing micro bubbles?
Thanks,

Hmmm that doesn't sound quite right. You should be seeing micro bubles from the moment you turn it on. Do you have a valve on the air inlet?

You might want to check and see if you have a needlewheel.You might have a regular impellar.I know you said its new,but it may be used and just new to you.Anyway just trying to help.

I am going to do the mesh mod on a G3 but I had a few questions.

1. Does the mesh mod make the pump any louder?
2. Is there any alternate material that can be used besides the enkamat? I've seen someone use a scrub pad instead, are their any other options?

Appreciate your help

The mesh mod didn't make any more noise on my pump. Reefers have tried a variety of materials. All of them are some form of "mesh" material that chops the bubbles. It doesn't take much so try something besides the enkamat if you have something on hand. Let us know if you do.

i want to do a mesh mod, but I am worried about screwing it up. Where can I buy an extra impeller for backup? I just want to buy the disc, if possible, the entire impeller seems expensive on the site I have found.

Recirc mod

Recirc mod

I am doing a Chemi Clean cycle so I pulled my ASM G3. I did the recirc mod and replaced my mesh mod with new enkamat.
Bottomholedrilled.jpg

BottomholewithUniseal.jpg

Cuttingvolute.jpg

Venturiinserted.jpg

Pumpwithruler.jpg

I will post some more pics later.

I am running my g3 in about 4-5 inches of water. It has a sedra 5000 for a supply and a 5000 for a recirc. I had troubles flooding the skimmer and Rob (who use to market and sell asm through marine solutions) told me that the 4 to 5 inch range would work the best. For what its worth.
Jeff

Hey guys
Here's my g4 skimmer cup after 3 days of collection.
Yes, it stunk to high heaven.
Skimmer on a 120G reef.

IMG_0646.jpg

I think I've read this whole thread looking for the exact height of the g2 and the g3 but all I've seen is the the basic factory measurements. I've seen three different heights for both skimmers on different websites that are selling these. I've read the g2 is 21.75" high and another place said it's 25" high. Will someone measure their g2 and also the g3 please? I've only got 23" clearance here so you see it's pretty important for me...I need a skimmer!

Back