Babies

downhillbiker

Just took the male bangai and put him in a breeding net and an hour later he is popping out babies. 2 right now, we will see how many more come out. I dont know if he did this from stress, but the babies have already eaten cyclopeze so hopefully they make it. He has already had about 10 clutches that I let go in the tank, but this time I decided to catch them. Built a nice fake urchin for the babies to hang out in, they seem to like it ok.

bangaiibabies001.jpg

bangaiibabies004.jpg

bangaiibabies003.jpg

bangaiibabies002.jpg

Wow! That is awesome. I've been looking for some banggais for a long time, but can't find them anywhere. It doesn't help either that they are endangered.

Thanks everyone. I have seen the male with a mouth full of babies about 10 times now. I think they will continue to breed and I will continue to raise babies. The male and female usually only wait about 2 days after babies are released before laying eggs again. I really like to try and decrease the dependency on wild caught, both for corals and fish, it really hurts the reef.

Congratulations on the babies and I hope they make. I just had a quick question for you. Is their any noticeable difference you can see between the male and female banghaii's?

The banggai cardinal offspring rearing model is extraordinary. The whole process is so unique to the fishes that normally populate our tanks. One of those moments that, every time you witness it, reminds you how marvelous the animals that we maintain are.

to answer the sex id question, no, i dont know of any noticable differences. i just watched the tank of bangai's at the LFS and saw 2 that were hanging out together pretty much non stop. that is the first step to id a pair is they never leave eachother. even now my female is hanging out up by the breeder, where she NEVER has been seen before.

plyr58 you are so right, the way life works in general is amazing, animals, plants, ect. just amazing.

Back