Back after 15 years ,tank issues!!

reefer51

I started my 10 gal aio im nuvo about a month and a half ago.its already crashed once due to my failure to properly cycle the tank.anyway i still have some nitrite and nitrate showing.i also I'm not sure about my flow how do you know if you have enough or if you need a powerhead/ wavemaker?i also have a radion xr30 pro gen 4 so i have to really dial it down.i am wondering if theres anything i can do to get past this stage.i dont want to lose any more corals or cleanup crew.i just keep wondering if i should get a bigger tank because this 10 gal is seemingly difficult.i realize after all these years i am a newbie again everything has changed.

I started my 10 gal aio im nuvo about a month and a half ago.its already crashed once due to my failure to properly cycle the tank.anyway i still have some nitrite and nitrate showing.i also I'm not sure about my flow how do you know if you have enough or if you need a powerhead/ wavemaker?i also have a radion xr30 pro gen 4 so i have to really dial it down.i am wondering if theres anything i can do to get past this stage.i dont want to lose any more corals or cleanup crew.i just keep wondering if i should get a bigger tank because this 10 gal is seemingly difficult.i realize after all these years i am a newbie again everything has changed.
10 gallon + radion xr30 = wow, lol. At least you're set for a bigger tank. Did you measure PAR or just winging it? Could be tricky.

Maybe you could provide a picture and more complete description of what you have for inhabitants, filtration and what you have done/are doing so far? If you are down to nitrite and nitrate, you are almost there ( note that nitrite fools most nitrate tests though). Please list anything else you are testing for.

The easiest solve for a tank that size is a large water change. You can do a 50% with one bucket which is nice. Since it's so small you'll need to temp match the water.

10 gallon + radion xr30 = wow, lol. At least you're set for a bigger tank. Did you measure PAR or just winging it? Could be tricky.

Maybe you could provide a picture and more complete description of what you have for inhabitants, filtration and what you have done/are doing so far? If you are down to nitrite and nitrate, you are almost there ( note that nitrite fools most nitrate tests though). Please list anything else you are testing for.

The easiest solve for a tank that size is a large water change. You can do a 50% with one bucket which is nice. Since it's so small you'll need to temp match the water.
Yep, more detail and even pictures will help us help you. Agree on the water change as well.

20230710_085032.jpg

Thats the radion and I'm still at .25 nitrite and 2.3 nitrates salinity .025 ,alk 9.3,it's still having issues with clear slime.i am hoping that it goes away.the good part is my corals seem to b happy everything is open and looks good.i am going to try adding some fritz 9 to get the nitrite gone.ive turned off the skimmer and will wait the 4 days to turn skimmer back on and post the results

Did you do the 50% water change?

Anyway, as long as the corals are looking good, I wouldn’t panic. Adding the Fritz should help.

I am assuming its been set up with dead rock?

Tank is only a month and a half old. With dead rock it takes along time and patience is needed.

I still feel my lagoon that was set up with dead rock is still not 100 percent stable.

Honestly not much has changed other than more people use more led now and dead rock. Leds can be daunting because of all the settings most are not plug and play. I usually recommend Kessil for people new to leds because they are easier to adjust with less settings.

As far as dead rock it just takes longer, they have no bacteria. Usually bad things show up first to colonize the dead rock. Usually cyano is first and sometime dinos. It also can be chocked full of nutrients since it in mined rock if you use stuff like Marco rocks. Allot of people will pre-cycle them in buckets or something else.

One of the latest tanks I set up is for Sandy and it only had fish for the first 6 months and actually the first few months it had no lighting and nothing in it other than water and bacteria.. I didn't feel comfortable putting corals in it till 6 months. Now it is a beautiful tank. The Key is patients. This is a small 10 gallon all in one which actually is the easiest tank I have ever done. I have lots of aquariums too. Mostly easier corals but I have never had a tank look this good. Colors are spectacular.

20230722_180226 small.jpg
20230722_180245 small.jpg

I did do a few 50% water changes but I think I may have stalled the process by doing that.i called fritz and asked why I still have nitrite after using the turbo start and the woman I spoke to had a idea that I kind of agree with.i have been using chemipure elite and am removing too much phosfate for the nitrite to convert to nitrates.so im going to remove the chemipure.Also I used about 5 pounds of true live rock from a lfs with some dry rock i also used aragalive sand.i hope I will be soon cycled.im trying to just leave the tank alone I tend to mess with it too often

Back