Back up power?

rjmurd

I would like to get a generator for a backup power supply for my tank but dont have the money right now.

Does anyone use the computer backup systems (I think they are called ups)?

I think this would be more in my price range. If you do use one, what brand, how long does it last and roughly how much money do they cost? Basically, any info on them would be great. Thanks

The UPS are basically good for powering low wattage powerheads such as the Tunzes or Koralias. They won't give you much time on anything else especially return pumps or heaters.
Your better off researching invertor switches hooked up to marine batteries that can give you 800 to 1000 amps of power if you want a tank to keep running for say 10 hours.

You have to decide what is critical for you to keep running. Realistically you need a power head and an air pump connected to an air stone.

you can find decent prices on refurbished APC's at the following link.

http://www.refurbups.com/

I have an APC 1200 UPS hooked up to my Koralia's, some basic lights and a pump too. It lasts long enough for short power outages and I have a generator for anything extended.

I also use an APC, except mine is an APC 1000 and allows 670w at 1000va. I'm not sure how to figure out how long it should last, but assuming I am connecting roughly 330w to the UPS, how long should it last? I have disconnected power to the tank to test it and make sure it kicked on and off when it should, but have not left it running longer than say 10 minutes. It was still working fine when I turned the power back on, so I am guessing it would last for maybe 30 minutes?

I found a similiar UPS in the link that Froman provided that is larger than both of ours for less than $150 (http://www.refurbups.com/APC-BP1400-Back-UPS-Pro-1400). If you can get an hour out of it, that would work for most power outages. If the power is out longer or anticipated to be out longer, reduce the power consumption into the UPS to allow for lower wattage and longer power output. It is a cheaper alternative if money is an issue or if a generator is overkill for the size of the tank.

If power is going to be out for extended periods of time (many hours or even days), then a gas powered generator is the only way to go to protect our costly livestock.

you can always get the battery back up on vortecs

This is actually a good option too. The battery back up on my vortech came in handy a few weeks ago. Power was out at my house for ~ 6 hours about a month ago.

Vortech back up kept things going with no issues.

This could actually be a good topic for an upcoming meeting.... :thumbsup:

Murdy Bird,

Consider a hurricane quick fix, A La' Louisianna""" a New boat bilge pump (all sizes 450-1500) with a bilge type. and some deep cycles marine/car batteries , I keep these as a last resort . run 450s for days with 3 batts 2 from my boat and one stand by,I have generators and a trailblazzer welder to power house; but you never know.

Back