Behind the scenes of a large wholesaler

What is the difference between an ornamental fish and a food fish?

100% of food fish end up dead -- who is crying for the pollack?

Just trying to be realistic here. Yeah, we shouldn't waste fish but I eat way, way more fish in a year than I am responsible for killing via my participation in the aquarium hobby.

I'm basically saying the same thing in another post...TOUCHE'
...mother nature could give a dang about "intent" ...

So I kinda shrug a lil when the cyber beatings continue for some poor soul who purchased a Morish Idol and kills it, yet 1/2 those same people buy Chilean Sea Bass or drive a SUV or do any number of "politically incorrect/ecologically insensitive things"

In my 20 years in the military, I have travelled (on missions) to a lot of third world countries. These people live day to day. They are barely surviving. To tell them that if you bag some fish and send it out and your family will eat another day, they will do that in a heartbeat. They are not educated nor have the internet. They don't understand global ramifications of their actions. For these people, profit is not the motive. It broke my heart and many of my men broke down at times seeing how these people live. Some even offered their children to us to take back to the US.

Sorry to go off tangent that way guys. I just wanted to give a different perspective. I do agree on most of what you guys are saying about the profit motive and some of us being a little careless.

My little additon, I guess. I was at the still LFS yesterday and asked about a bangaii cardinal. The salesperson was welll aware they are en endangered species. I asked if they were endangered why they carried the wild ones, when tank bred were availible. Her respose was the Goverment of Idonesia just not care. While great that they can be tank bread and therefor saved, I could not in good concious buy the wild version.

I asked if they were endangered why they carried the wild ones, when tank bred were availible. Her respose was the Goverment of Idonesia just not care.

lol, so did the government of Indonesia force them into buying those instead of tank raised ones? Some people pick the most retarded excuses they can come up with to not have to take personal responsibility for anything, great LFS you've got there...

One issue with wild caught versus aquacultured is that wild caught are often significantly cheaper. Another is that, especially with Bangaii, aquacultured are still not widely available, or plentiful.

Jeff

Text mangled by iPhone spell check...

My little addition, I guess. I was at the still LFS yesterday and asked about a Bangaii cardinal. The salesperson was well aware they are en endangered species. I asked if they were endangered why they carried the wild ones, when tank bred were available. Her response was the Government of Indonesia just not care. While great that they can be tank bread and therefor saved, I could not in good conscious buy the wild version.

The USA was one of the dissenting voices when BC was put up for CITES Article II classification. The USA voted no :(

I raised clownfish for several months, I wasn't very good at it but in the end probably successfully raised about 50 of them from egg to lfs sellable sized.

Some of them are still alive and well among my club members. Others were probably dead within a week (people didn't tell me what happened - i just knew).

So long story short - captive breeding is the way to go. Support the folks who go thru the effort - it's not easy (in my opinion) but I felt truly rewarded in knowing (or really hoping) that possibly 50 wild clownfish were not required to be taken. The clowns are still breeding so when time permits - perhaps more will be raised.

how much cheaper are corals and fish when fish store buy them from wholesalers and is it possible for a hobbiest to buy from them if the facility is near?

how much cheaper are corals and fish when fish store buy them from wholesalers and is it possible for a hobbiest to buy from them if the facility is near?

How much cheaper all depends on how much of a margin the LFS is trying to make on the livestock. As for hobbyiest buying from a wholesaler...most legit wholesalers will require a business license, sales tax certificate, and some require proof of a store front. Add to that, the requirement for a minimum purchase amount that is typically a lot. The wholesalers do not want to be selling to hobbyist, if they did, their primary customers (the LFS) would stop using them and they would go out of business ;)

Bill is correct- when I bought my shop- I had to take all of the paperwork and fotos- They even called the former owner of the store to be sure. There were some wiseguys that worked for another store that would sneak to the wholsaler for themselves. When they were caught, the wholsaler contacted the state and federal taxing bodies- as well as the dept of agriculture. Lets just say the fines and having- Everything in aquarium related siezed, was much more of a loss than their savings and the fish and coral.

WHo cries for the pollack -great line. When people quite putting values on life- A tang is more valuble than a cod- then maybe there can be a real discussion- but the fact remains- all fish removed from the ocean are considered dead by the ocean. ANd the fact that if only 10% live- it higher than food fish. Concious does not imply dominion-and only makes being hypocritical easier.

first for give my spelling an my . , but i must must say .My best friend (like a brother)is an importer does about 50 to 60 boxes a week fish an coral .An if that iz what is going on where that are geting there fish from is apoling !!!!!! nothing like that comes from his shippers NOTHING that is wrong there sites permit should be revoked. an would love to know who there shipper is .I have helped him deliver an accliimate tens of thousands of fish an never ever do thay come in light on water this is my cell 631394 8187 I can set thing motion to get them another shipper an drop the doa rate to about 10 % or less WHAT THAY ARE DOING IS JUST WRONG

Your logic taken further says that an arsonist burning down a forest is ok, because trees were killed in the making of your home.

That's ridiculous, homes are a necessity, fish are not. Nobody hires arsonists to burn down forests to make room for homes, even still this analogy was not even close to saying what you think it did. Lastly, Paco was on point with his post. In the end, they are fish, not human lives, also pets and food are two different issues. You are being unreasonable about the whole situation, if you were really concerned, you would not have fish as pets, or food, just by buying products to keep the fish alive you are doing harm to the fish's environment, and you are giving more money to corporations who will use some of it to lobby for collection laws to be less harsh. In the end, you are in no position to preach to anybody about the practices used in this hobby, you are part of the problem.

I think that removing fish from the wild- no matter how you look at it- is bad. If you remove a fish from the wild, it is just as good to the ocean as killing it. The fish will be out of the breeding population, and that is what counts...

I admit to not following my morals very cleanly, but I think that tank bread and aquacultured is the ONLY way to go if you wish to preserve this hobby for future generations. You can say "who cares" or "aren't reefs dying already," but ultimately you may choose what you want to do... and hopefully you aren't gonna further aggravate a situation.

In terms of the first post on this thread- yes I agree that if fish are to be taken out of the wild they might as well be kept alive, and that sort of wasteful killing is saddening. Perhaps if more conservative and conscious collection techniques were employed, then they could only take a smaller margin of fish collected without having to worry about them dying.

Do not get me wrong- I have broken every one of my own rules- I have killed fish(wild ones), and I have made poor decisions. This thread just now has made me more dedicated and motivated to abstain from buying non captive bread or "used" fish.

I applaud the members here for their concern with the sustainability of this hobby and the responsibility each and every one of us must take.

Keep it up!

Back