Best Battery Back up option for Tunze...GO!

NaClH2O Getaway

Looking for recommendations for the best Battery back-up option to run a couple Tunze controllable powerheads (1 Turbelle Nano 6055 and 1 Turbelle 6105). I'd like to be prepared for a 2-3 day power outage. Anyone have one they have actually had to use or just know all the technical stuff to make a solid recommendation?

Tunze 6055 energy consumption ~18w max
Tunze 6105 energy consumption ~52w max

THANKS!!

I'm trying to figure out the same thing, as I just picked up a couple of new 6095s from BRS for my new build. I think an issue is that the Tunze safety connectior will continue to run at 100% of whatever you have the powerhead programmed to once primary AC power is lost. The Ecotech battery back up that I had for my MP10s on the other hand, would only run at 10% of full power, thereby lasting longer in a power loss situation. Unless I'm missing something, the only solution would be more or bigger batteries in longer power loss situations.

My thought was that I'd have to go with a standard type Backup like the ones used for PCs but I don't know what the runtime would be considering a PC is going to pull considerably more power than a couple Powerheads

Last edited:
Probably better to only put your 6055 on battery backup. With the safety connector your gonna need a pretty big battery to get 2-3 days runtime. An 12V 18Ah sealed lead acid battery would probably go nearly a day, so I would guess around 50Ah battery would get the job done for a single powerhead.

I had mine set up with 2 12v deep cycle Marine batteries configured at 24v. They were on a 24v battery tender and it will last for days like this. The batteries were in their own cabinet that sat on the left side of the tank. I never had any issues and it always kicked in when the power went out.

The problem with most battery backups meant for a pc is that they are designed to provide high current for a short time whereas we need low current for a long time. I'd follow scoots and cyncyjim's advice.

I had mine set up with 2 12v deep cycle Marine batteries configured at 24v. They were on a 24v battery tender and it will last for days like this. The batteries were in their own cabinet that sat on the left side of the tank. I never had any issues and it always kicked in when the power went out.

That's awesome thank you, I will definitely consider this. Thanks for the info!

I just picked up a couple of 6105s. Tunze has it's own 6105.50 Safety Connector. It will switch to a 12v source if it detects power is out. Super cheap too.

Thanks everyone! I picked up the Tunze 6105.500 safety connector today for the Turbelle 6105. I'll be getting a 12v 100 AH deep cycle AGM Battery for a test run next week. If it doesn't make close to 2 days I can always wire in a second Battery. I'll keep the battery on a tender so it'll be charged up when needed. Once I finish the test run I'll report back in case anyone needs the info later on down the road. Thanks Again. I'm happy to be getting this thing dialed in and worry free.

Keep us posted and thanks for the testing. There really isn't much info on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lower the voltage the higher the amperage needed to maintain the same power.

Ohms law P/I.V If something draws 1 amp at 24 volts it will draw 2 amps at 12 volts.

Mark

So I actually finished testing a couple days ago but haven't had a chance to report back yet.

I picked up the Tunze Safety Connector to use on the 6105 since I have a 100gal cube and in the case of an outage I wanted to keep as much water moving as I could. I am running it at 12v through a Multicontroller 7096 alternating between 50% and 100% ( because on a normal day it is set up to alternate currents with my 6055). I opted to go with a 100ah 12v deep cycle Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) battery because it wasn't much bigger than a standard 12v battery and I'd rather have the extra and not need it than need it and come up short. It was a little on the pricey side ($175 on amazon with Prime) but if it saves $1000s in fish and corals later on down the road I'd call it reasonable insurance. I also picked up a Battery Tender to make sure the Battery is always ready to go. Got everything hooked up last Sunday, turned it all on and let the tender do it's thing. Once it indicated that I had a full charge I shut every thing down and crossed my fingers. Charger was off, Tunze 6055 stopped running and click* the 6105 was running like nothing ever happened. It was still alternating between 50% and 100% which probably gave me a little more time than if it was at 100% all the time but it kept plenty of water moving. The multicontrollers moonlight LED was still on opposite my photo period but I doubt it made much difference in power consumption. 3 days later it was still running strong. On the 4th day no change, I actually had to double check to make sure it wasn't somehow drawing power from somewhere else lol. Pretty much exactly 5 days from when I shut it down I did see some slowing of the water flow although it was still moving water I could see that the impeller was running slower. At that point I decided to call it. If I'm without power for 5 days I'm going to have other issues. So although I don't have specific numbers I can tell you that for right around $300 (considering you already have the powerhead) this setup will buy you some serious time and it really doesn't look bad or take up much space.

Attachments

• Battery Backup.jpg
    Battery Backup.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 2
The 6055 draws 18 watts at full load, at 12 volts watts is 1.5 amps however I suspect that at 12v it only pulls 1/2 the wattage of 24 volts so .75 amps in which case a standard 7AH alarm panel battery should get you just over 9 hrs.

https://www.amazon.com/Volt-Amp-Hour-Alarm-Battery/dp/B0010XNC06

This is correct, on a 6055, I generally recommend about this size battery, 9.5 Amp hour is a common size and not much more expensive and should give you about 10-12 hours, for a few days, you could run both pumps from an Optima deep cycle battery, whichever way you go, you need a safety connector for each pump and a trickle charger to maintain the battery, .5 or 1 amp is all you need. Also, keep in mind you could do the smaller 9.5 AH gel cell and use disposable lantern batteries (roughly 2 hours pump run) if that dies or use a solar panel charger so the battery life is much longer if you are on an exterior wall so the solar panel outside can keep the battery charged even in a power outage.

Looking for recommendations for the best Battery back-up option to run a couple Tunze controllable powerheads (1 Turbelle Nano 6055 and 1 Turbelle 6105). I'd like to be prepared for a 2-3 day power outage. Anyone have one they have actually had to use or just know all the technical stuff to make a solid recommendation?

Tunze 6055 energy consumption ~18w max
Tunze 6105 energy consumption ~52w max

THANKS!!

6105 is 32W max

The lower the voltage the higher the amperage needed to maintain the same power.

Ohms law P/I.V If something draws 1 amp at 24 volts it will draw 2 amps at 12 volts.

Mark

This is true but with these pumps the lower voltage lowers the speed and power of the pump so the amperage drops as well.

Back