Best filter option, QUICK!

rayn

I'm setting up a 55 gal FOWLR but hoping to get to corals and all down the line. Currently I have/had a canitster that I hoped would get me through the basics and two powerheads that are still running. The canister went kapoot, so I'm looking for my best option. Another canister, reverse osmosis, protein skimmer with or without the sump. I just want to know the best way to go so I don't throw away money on something not needed.

You will without a doubt need a RODI water purifier to make new salt water with and for evaporation water replacement.

As far as filter material, you will need live rock. Dont bother with another canister filter. They are not worth it. MANY reef and fish tanks (if not almost all) are run withOUT canister filters of any kind.

Thanks Henry. So the canister is out. I have almost 60 lbs of LR in there now, so do I just need to break down and get my skimmer and build my sump for it? If that is the answer, I'll start tomorrow on it. Now there are no fish yet, so will the live rock be okay for say about a week or so with just the powerheads moving water?

I believe you are on the right track. Get the best skimmer you can. Keep researching and make sure you get it the way you want it the first time around.

Yes the rock will be fine in the tank with no other real activity. Make sure the SG (salinity) is good 1.025 - 1.026, the temp is right and good flow. Should be fine.

Thanks. I checked is all and it is good for now. I'll just keep tabs on it till I get my sump and skimmer running.

imho, a good hang on the back skimmer will work fine and the live rock will be all the filtration you need, yes, having a sump is nice, but its not necessary, ive seen plenty of AWESOME looking tanks that just run a GOOD hob skimmer, and the owners keep up a strict maintenance program, if youve got the money and time, or the diy skills to do your own sump then go for it. but henry hit the nail on the head when he said you WILL need an ro/di and that you should get the best skimmer, do not skimp on the skimmer.

The RODI would replace my need to buy distilled or purified water right? As far as the skimmer I would rather have one in the sump then have a bunch of stuff hanging on the back being seen. Besides, I think I'll have to drain and move my tank to have enough room between it and the wall.

You will need a overflow box or build one. Glasscages has a kit I believe, and Lifereef builds a good overflow box get the nano.

Sorry for the teaser I forgot about the 50 post rule. Maybe if you know somebody in the area and he is a member he can buy it for you.

Canisters are a PITA in my opinion- they need to be cleaned often so as not to become nitrate factories. you could get a relatively small HOB filter and not even run it all the time if you want to pull out some of the larger particulate stuff.

Also a lot of good HOB skimmers out there- currently I use a Remora on my 46G. works quite well and no worry about poss. sump probs.

I just went today and got a HOB filter just to keep the bigger stuff out and help clean the water. Going to do a water change and hook it up. If I go with a HOB skimmer, then I have to drain and move my tank, to close to the wall. Really hoping a overflow and sump solves that problem.

Back