Big news for angelfish fans of RCT

please explain...thank you...:beachbum:

I don't like the way the head & the overbite look. I'm just making an observation.

I said nothing about price being too high or anything else................if you don't agree that's fine.

I don't get why you guys get so defensive or fired up.......relax.

A RCT Hybrid!!!

oh man, so i just got some really disturbing news. my lfs was at quality today and said they still had 5 in their back room. they brought them each out one by one, but they all looked pretty bad - there was stuff on their bodies and they looked really skinny. she said one looked ok, but the eye was cloudy and it looked pretty skinny.

i'm so bummed; i wanted one so badly. i'm sure quality has a bunch of qualified people there, but i wonder if anything can be done to save these five? maybe send them back to frank? or maybe donate them the to the Aquarium of the Pacific and have their marine biologists try to treat them. i dunno...it's such a shame.

oh man, so i just got some really disturbing news. my lfs was at quality today and said they still had 5 in their back room. they brought them each out one by one, but they all looked pretty bad - there was stuff on their bodies and they looked really skinny. she said one looked ok, but the eye was cloudy and it looked pretty skinny.

i'm so bummed; i wanted one so badly. i'm sure quality has a bunch of qualified people there, but i wonder if anything can be done to save these five? maybe send them back to frank? or maybe donate them the to the Aquarium of the Pacific and have their marine biologists try to treat them. i dunno...it's such a shame.

Yikes. Sucks to hear this. I hope they can turn them around. Shipping them to anyone else would most likely doom them if they are already struggling. So it's up to qm to get me healthy and make some money for frank.

Oh man.....this is terrible news. I was hoping he would sell them direct, but I'm sure there is good reason for going through the process as he has with QM. Hopefully someone can turn them around. The way that I've learned Frank's fish to be, I would have thought they should be handled and housed separate from any other fish to prevent infecting them with any sort of disease.

Oh man.....this is terrible news. I was hoping he would sell them direct, but I'm sure there is good reason for going through the process as he has with QM. Hopefully someone can turn them around. The way that I've learned Frank's fish to be, I would have thought they should be handled and housed separate from any other fish to prevent infecting them with any sort of disease.

You would think they would be in a separate system. My LFS gets high quality fish from sustainable aquatics and dumps them into their ich infested system. Kinda defeats the purpose. I am not thrilled about having to treat what should be problem free specimens. So I bought my clowns directly from SA. :)

Like Wayne said they do have a smaller system in the back room and that is where they are and where they usually keep rare or expensive fish. If this is really the case that is pretty sad.

Greetings RCT Hybrid Centropyge enthusiasts.

Wow, lots of unfortunate misinformation, and some purely speculative and rather disparaging remarks being made here in regards to the health and condition of the current batch of these special little fish in our care.

These fish do have an elongated body shape and unique head shape common to this specific hybridization, and are therefore not everyone's cup of tea... While we are not sure exactly what information was relayed to the aquarist who hoped to purchase these from a local store here in Southern California, we were assured there was no mention of the fish being sick or diseased, which none of them are. As an aside, the fishes in our larger systems under the care of our team of marine biologists are not infected or diseased either. Sadly, some third party remarks seem to have been taken at face value and all manner of speculation and commentary has ensued.

We have posted a new video, taken this afternoon, of two of these little guys on our site for everyone to critique. We think they look fantastic, and will make welcome additions to any true rare Centropyge enthusiasts tank.

http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Company-News/more-rct-angels-%2803/16/12%29

425832_10151404852955433_346965760432_23437139_663522041_n.jpg

Let me be first to apologize if I am the relayer of misinformation. I was just relaying what was told to me the by the owner of a lfs who said they were there yesterday. I have no reason and mean no harm to Frank, RCT, or Quality Marine. I appreciate and applaud your efforts in giving back most of the proceeds to Frank's research.

This really perplexes me because I told my lfs I wanted one and if they looked that good, why wouldn't have they picked it up for me?

Excellent! They certainly look good in the video! I assume they're still only available wholesale, not to retail buyers?

Those two look great in the video and look like they eat greedily. The earlier poster claimed that there were 5 of them. I hope the other 3 are in the same good condition.

Wayne- no hard feelings at all on our part. Misunderstandings happen. We'd like to help you get one of these beauties if you're still interested. Email us at outreach@qualitymarine.com.

The other three fish are also doing well. All five are available through QM retailers.

Have a great weekend all.

Greetings,
I am proud to say that one of the three RCT hybrids we have been quarantining and conditioning in our Rhinelander Wisconsin Facility where we maintain all of the animals we offer in the Divers Den section of LiveAquaria.com, shipped out today. It's fantastic to see the fish going to a seasoned veteran who will truly appreciate one of these iconic fishes!

I was very surprised by the post earlier today in regards to these hybrid fishes at Quality Marine's facility. Quality Marine is hands down the best importer/wholesaler in the entire world. Their team of expert staff, combined with their superior husbandry skills and infrastructure is extraordinary. Its pretty amazing what QM has accomplished and built, as every time I have the opportunity to visit I am blown away, and I have been in this business for almost 30 years.

I was fortunate enough to travel to California just a few weeks back and had the pleasure of seeing Frank's fish in person. These cute little guys are extremely healthy and are in top condition. Furthermore, the three fish that we received weeks ago, when they were initially auctioned to all of QM's customers arrived flawlessly and ate almost immediately after acclimation into one of our quarantine systems.

We are looking forward to posting another RCT hybrid to the Divers Den early next week so stay tuned! Let's all show our support to try and help Frank move forward with future projects. Quality Marine is donating the proceeds from the sales of these fishes back to RCT, and Drs. Foster and Smith LiveAquaria is as well!

Happy Fishkeeping,

Kevin Kohen

I had the most amazing, best day of my reefing life today. I was invited to go to Quality Marine through my lfs to view and pick out my RCT Hybrid Resplendent.

The moons must have aligned correctly today or this day was foretold by the Mayan calendar, because FRANK from RCT happened to be visiting Quality for the first time today too. Frank actually hand picked out my angel for me! What an honor and privilege!!! I was seriously star-struck. I mean living on the west side of Los Angeles, my kids are classmates with several big name stars' kids and my eldest son is in the same soccer team with David Beckham's sons and I never bat an eye when we have events with them. However I was speechless"¦dumbfounded"¦star struck when I met Frank "“ as you can see by this picture of Frank, goofy looking me, and my new angel:

Me-and-Frank.jpg

Lonnie of Quality Marine also gave me a tour of their entire facility. I was truly impressed by their entire operation. Everything from making their own saltwater from Tropic Marin, having I think at least 4 marine biologists on staff, to their acclimation and holding process. The fact that they make their own seawater with Tropic Marin for a fish only system, while most other wholesalers use cheaper local filtered seawater, speaks volumes about QM not cutting corners. They have a specific dark room with red lights in their acclimation room to reduce the stress on newly imported fish. They also use individual circulation systems for each individual fish bin so that none of their fish have to be subjected to the same used water like other systems which cascades water down the line. They feed all their new fish a special medicated formulated fish food which makes me feel a lot better about the Feminius Wrasse that I just bought which originated at QM. I could go on forever, but QM really impressed me with the extent they have invested in their systems, processes, husbandry, equipment and even future plans with coral propagation and captive breeding.

I was even given a tour of their infamous back room. I saw this oddball fish there that's new to the hobby. They call it a Black Widow and it's reef safe. One of the Marine biologist told me that this fish is actually a cleaner fish and it cleans the teeth of green moray eels.

Black-Widow-1.jpg

Black-Widow-2.jpg

Here's a picture of a M/F pair of True Hawaiian Flame Angels.

Hawiian-Flame-Angel-pair.jpg

Anyway, my new angel is acclimating right now. I'll be posting pics shortly.

Last edited:
that is truly an amazing story congrats on the new angel! wow what an amazing oppertunity you have been afforded! truly a 1 of a kind expierence

Well, here it is in my tank. I've got him in my ghetto acclimation box just so it's tank mates can get used to him.

I've name him Wallace as in William. I don't know why the blue on him reminds me of Braveheart.

Hybrid-1.jpg

Hybrid-3.jpg

Here's my Interrupta, Hero, checking out his new playmate:

Hybrid-4.jpg

Hybrid-2.jpg

So far Hero hasn't shown any aggressive or territorial behaviors like fin flashing. Hero seems more inquisitive than anything. Man do I hope they're cool with each other. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed Copps!) I'll let Wallace out of lockdown in a couple of days.

Back