big problems...

acpoweradapter

New member
Ok, so first I have a ton of microbubbles from nothing... I have nothing that would make the bubbles. I have a skimmer with an airstone but I took it out for two days and nothing happened. Now since I took out the skimmer my fish are all laying on the sand.. My shrimp looks fine but the clown is down, I cant even find my other clown and my wrasse either. everything is fine as for the parameters.
 

wiscsaltwater

New member
I have nothing that would make the bubbles. I have a skimmer with an airstone but I took it out for two days and nothing happened. Now since I took out the skimmer my fish are all laying on the sand

just a thought but do you have a powerhead thats breaking the surface of the water at all? turn back on your skimmer fish need oxygen and if u shut everything off theres nothing putting O2 into the water. turning off your airstone and your skimmer might not have been a very good thing to do if you have nothing aiding gas exchange, specifically oxygen.
 

seanb1

New member
i would first look for either chloramines/chlorine/ammonia

just to be safe i would dose the whole tank for those chemicals as soon as possible.
 

acpoweradapter

New member
Ok, what should I dose? Chemi Pure? I have it on Carbon and phosban. Btw the tank has been up for two months and the cycle has been done for a while. These fish have been in the tank for a month with no problems. I thought they were suffocating also but the skimmer has been on for about 6 hours now and nothing has changed.
 

seanb1

New member
i would use prime to detoxify ammonia, it does work really well and supposedly doesnt mess up skimming action.

if you cant find prime use amquel. use anything that detoxifies ammonia.

some types of solution used to treat new water have ability to break the chloramine bond, thats a molecule of ammonia and a molecule of chlorine, it splits them then detoxifies both, thats why i like prime it does it all.


my suggestion of looking for ammonia/chlorine/chloramines is my best guess as to why your fish are laying on the bottom and by just making sure and dosing for those chemicals is a easy/safe way to rule them out. they are deadly to fish and its just to easy not to take away that threat to them.

if indeed that is the problem they will be up and swimming in minutes.

go ahead and dose for those chemicals to be sure as soon as possible.

are they breathing hard? heavy breathing is a sure sign of ammonia/ chlorine/ chloramine toxicity.
 
Last edited:

acpoweradapter

New member
yea they are breathing hard.. I don't understand how it got in the tank though. I use ro/di from the lfs. I never use anything else. I have this stuff called aquasafe it says its good for chlorine and metals, i dont have anything for ammonia so I will have to go to the store tommoror wif this does not work
 

Aquarist007

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12262885#post12262885 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by acpoweradapter
Ok, what should I dose? Chemi Pure? I have it on Carbon and phosban. Btw the tank has been up for two months and the cycle has been done for a while. These fish have been in the tank for a month with no problems. I thought they were suffocating also but the skimmer has been on for about 6 hours now and nothing has changed.

I would not dose with anything---do a 30 per cent water change asap
what are your current readings for ammonia,nitrates and salinity
 

seanb1

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12264648#post12264648 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I would not dose with anything---do a 30 per cent water change asap
what are your current readings for ammonia,nitrates and salinity
what if the water he is using is the problem?

i suspect his ro/di's carbon block has expired and he is getting either chloramines or chlorine from using it.
to use his water for a water change would be foolhardy at best if this is the case.
if chloramines are present i dont think ammonia test kits will pick it up till the bond is broken between the ammonia/chlorine molecule.
i might be wrong on that, not sure, nor am i a chemist.

it will hurt nothing to dose his tank for ammonia/ chlorine, i dont know where you came up with not dosing for it, its harmless.

either way to kill two birds with one stone would be to eliminate the threat of the possibility of ammonia/chlorine and then go from there.

the symptoms are classic ammonia/chlorine poisoning, seen it a thousand times.

good luck:)
 
Last edited:

Victor1046

New member
Don't dose check your water. Are you using RO water to make the saltwater? What are your parameters in your water now?
 

JCR's Reef

New member
AC- I would ask the LFS to check their water with a TDS meter. If its going to be a fish only tank then dose with what you want to hide the problem. I would just do a water change with your fish acting like that. Use prime in the RO water in case they gave you just plain tap water.
 

Aquarist007

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12264987#post12264987 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seanndenise1
what if the water he is using is the problem?

i suspect his ro/di's carbon block has expired and he is getting either chloramines or chlorine from using it.
to use his water for a water change would be foolhardy at best if this is the case.
if chloramines are present i dont think ammonia test kits will pick it up till the bond is broken between the ammonia/chlorine molecule.
i might be wrong on that, not sure, nor am i a chemist.

it will hurt nothing to dose his tank for ammonia/ chlorine, i dont know where you came up with not dosing for it, its harmless.

either way to kill two birds with one stone would be to eliminate the threat of the possibility of ammonia/chlorine and then go from there.

the symptoms are classic ammonia/chlorine poisoning, seen it a thousand times.

good luck:)

I agree but he stated he is using ro/di water from the LFS--it might be a good idea to check that--Last time I used 5 gal from a LFS store--it tested 14 on my TDS---that's not even distilled:eek2:

If you have to rely on LFS water, I would test it first at the store, and if you are using plastic pails ect, boil them out and clean them up before reusing.
 

seanb1

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12266324#post12266324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capn_hylinur
I agree but he stated he is using ro/di water from the LFS--it might be a good idea to check that--Last time I used 5 gal from a LFS store--it tested 14 on my TDS---that's not even distilled:eek2:

If you have to rely on LFS water, I would test it first at the store, and if you are using plastic pails ect, boil them out and clean them up before reusing.
cool

i just see his fish are in what sounds like the last stages of ammonia poisoning , and i just looked for the fastest way to get them out of that.

since i was the only person to give him a solution for some hours i got a little worried LOL, i didnt want to see his fish croak.

i would never make it as a physician, i would need daily pshyciatric sessions.
 

tmz

ReefKeeping Mag staff
Premium Member
What about the bubbles? Have we solved that?I've never seen nitrogen release occur in a quantity that would fill a tank with microbubbles.
 

Aquarist007

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12266371#post12266371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seanndenise1
cool

i just see his fish are in what sounds like the last stages of ammonia poisoning , and i just looked for the fastest way to get them out of that.

since i was the only person to give him a solution for some hours i got a little worried LOL, i didnt want to see his fish croak.

i would never make it as a physician, i would need daily pshyciatric sessions.

I agree--in that case I think we all missed the boat by not recommending he immediately quarantine the fish and then work on the tank.
 

Aquarist007

New member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12266391#post12266391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tmz
What about the bubbles? Have we solved that?I've never seen nitrogen release occur in a quantity that would fill a tank with microbubbles.

could be the live rock--don't know the history of that--and its getting more and more difficult to find that out with LFS's
(the exception being your guy ;)
 

acpoweradapter

New member
The bubbles are still completely covering all the rock and all in the water. One of this clowns is back up but the wrasse and the other clown are still on the bottom. The parameters are cal 450 alk 8.3 ph 7.8 (low I know but it won't go up) temp 80.4 sg 1.025 nitrates 0 nitrites 0 ammonia 0
 

tmz

ReefKeeping Mag staff
Premium Member
You could have a pinhole leak in one of your plumbing connections which would suck in air like a venturi.
 
Top