blue tangs in very small tanks... what compells people to do so...

you are not, and i am sorry, but i missed your previously stated question... and at no time did i call anyone dumb...

we are simply having a discussion on what is right for the animal...

i really need you guys to keep it polite here, i would never get on anyone else's thread and make scene...

i also want to thank all staff and mods for their patience...

please guys, relax, lets discuss, not slander

Technically.. Wouldn't the "right" thing be to just leave it in the ocean? Wouldn't the same be true for all our "pets"? I'm not a doctor.. Juss saying.. lol I have learned a lot on this forum and read many educational posts here, but this one is more like kids on the play ground throwing rocks at each other.. Give it up all ready... No body knows it all.. Live and learn.. Respect your neighbors.. blah bla blah you get it..

I am one (( after learning the hard way )) that believes in stocking your tank for the tank that you have right now, not the one that you plan on having in the future -- things will change. So, if you watched Brain's video you should be able to see how big they get and how active they are -- and it should become clear how a 45 gallon tank is just way too small.

this is all we are saying here... particular my view on it...

the blue tang will grow far to quick and get far too big to stay here... it IS unhealthy for the fish once a certain point is reached... therefore needing a new home...

the only conflict i see in this thread is the one's who do actually do this, are getting defensive... this is an open forum, you do not have to post if you dont care for the topic... a few of us are trying to educate through PERSONAL EXPERIENCE... which a great example is shown in the vid of brians tank...

simply passing along our opinions based on our own gained knowledge, and if we can help even a few people out of the thousands that come to RC... then we have done some good on this forum... not becuz we "imposed our will or opinion" as some may say, but becuz we where able to help a fellow hobbyist make a more informed and educated decision on what he should happen to choose to do with his own aquarium(s)... i could only wish i had this advantage when i started out, i would have not killed so many animals through my own unknowing care...

What then am I supposed to stock my 4" tank with?.... I meant 4', obviously

I have a fully grown, very healthy looking, regal tang in my 120g. 4x2x2. However, My aquascaping is done in the middle of my tank leaving my tank quite open along the back, and wide open in the front. So he can swim all around my tank. Got him when he was about 1.5" long. Grew HUGE in a crazy amount of time. I have 8 fish, all of which are small excluding my beastly blue tang.

i have a 75 and really want a tang... im scared to go the bristle tooth route... what are peoples thoughts on a 75g with lots of open tank room for swimmin? Obviously cant have a powder blue but what about some of the small bristle tooths or even a cole?

though this thread is about blue tangs... i would personally say a kole would do jus fine for quite some time, given your tank is not overcrowded with rock or fish... and you can feed him well... they are another beautiful tang in a very subtle way :)

Since you asked---my guess is you can pretty well duplicate the natural world range of blennies and gobies in a 55, and more fish in their size, like dartfish, grammas, etc in a 75. In a 6' tank, you've probably covered most of the range of a damsel or dwarf angel---
Definitely I've seen beneficial changes in fish motion by aiming two jets AT each other: chaotic water flow breaks up fish 'pacing'. I think we can learn from zoos, that went from animals in big bare square cages, to 'folded space,' created by plantings, pillars, pathways, that changed, say, a cat's route from back and forth near the bars, to a wending path of up and down and around. Much better mental health. Let's take the tack, among other things, of "What can we do to 'fold space' in a tank?" How can we improve the environment for all the fishes. And I would suggest that one neglected thing is water-as-furniture, water-as-walls, water-as-barriers, or 'sculpted water.' What can we do to make it better, how can we hyper-oxygenate the water (cheato helps), and make conditions better. Even a 6' tank can improve in this department, from a straight run to a 'folded' run.

Technically.. Wouldn't the "right" thing be to just leave it in the ocean? Wouldn't the same be true for all our "pets"? I'm not a doctor.. Juss saying.. lol I have learned a lot on this forum and read many educational posts here, but this one is more like kids on the play ground throwing rocks at each other.. Give it up all ready... No body knows it all.. Live and learn.. Respect your neighbors.. blah bla blah you get it..

you are absolutley correct in the animals should have never been taken from the ocean in the first place... however, i also feel at this point there is no turning back, so if i can and choose to keep any of these animals, then i would like to feel i would give it an attempt to give them the most i could and would steer clear of the species i knew i couldnt... whether from experience, or education through one's with...

i would never go on a thread you made and felt passionate about, especially if i knew you liked open discussion with other adults about a hobby you love, and tell them to "give it up" in the sense of giving up on my thread...

again, i am here to help educate based on my own knowledge, and help others... i am an emergency medical tech, and a great person and friend, its in my nature to help anyone i can on many topics...

Last edited:
I have a fully grown, very healthy looking, regal tang in my 120g. 4x2x2. However, My aquascaping is done in the middle of my tank leaving my tank quite open along the back, and wide open in the front. So he can swim all around my tank. Got him when he was about 1.5" long. Grew HUGE in a crazy amount of time. I have 8 fish, all of which are small excluding my beastly blue tang.

full grown blue tangs are 11 to 14" (to the best of my knowledge), i will not slam you whatsoever, jus curious, but how long would you say yours is exactly?

This is turning into a name calling thread and not intelligent discussion. I don't know about the other posters but I am sure I am smart than the guy calling me dumb. I have a MS in Electrical Engineer graduating at the top of my class. I think it is fair that I am smarter than the average person. If you are smarter, please answer my questions instead of calling me dumb.

Sorry if u took it as I was calling u dumb. I stated I can't dumb down an explanation anymore. Its been stressed over and over again about this topic. Again I apologize for the confusion.

But on another note, stating what u have as an eduation background and then stating ur smarter than I was not a good way to come across as civil or non-name calling. You might have a degree and such, but at least I wont put a blue tang in a tiny tank and then try to defend myself when ppl try to give advice on what it would be like living in those conditions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

full grown blue tangs are 11 to 14" (to the best of my knowledge), i will not slam you whatsoever, jus curious, but how long would you say yours is exactly?

Definitely not that big, or else I'd have given it away to someone with a far larger tank. Every book I've read indicates it won't get bigger then 5-7". Within 6 months, it was a good 5". I believe a lot of the literature out there should be partially to blame for their TERRIBLE undersized tank requirements they suggest. Mine right now is about 6", perhaps still growing, but doesn't seem to be getting bigger. I personally would never recommend them in a small tank when they're young, because of how they grow so fast.

I can't believe this thread has taken off to 9 pages in one day, pretty impressive! I own a blue tang myself in my 4ft 80g. He's about 3" and doing well. I am upgrading though to a 210 in less then a month, just waiting for my new house to close :)

*edited*
[violation]

Really though, im all for a large enough tank for your fish. But... u know that whoever chimes in here and admits to having a tang in too small of a "rated" tank, will try to justify it somehow. Otherwise they wouldnt of admitted it. Its always the future upgrade, or i took it so it wouldnt die. Keep this thread open long enough and someone will say it came out of a piece of rock they got or somethin

Last edited by a moderator:
please stop advocating the closing of my thread... the mods and staff would have done it if they had felt it warranted... if you have some info to share, please do... my hope here is not too change how people think, but to perhaps educate someone who may like some opinions and personal experiences

Tozzi said:
*edited*

Really though, im all for a large enough tank for your fish. But... u know that whoever chimes in here and admits to having a tang in too small of a "rated" tank, will try to justify it somehow. Otherwise they wouldnt of admitted it. Its always the future upgrade, or i took it so it wouldnt die. Keep this thread open long enough and someone will say it came out of a piece of rock they got or somethin

Please stop. This kind of posting is exactly why threads such as this get out of hand. It is unnecessary and it would be appreciated by many if it could please not happen again. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone not look at the video of Brian's tank with the fareakin huge blue tang in it? What makes any of you all that have them in a 100g tank or less think that a blue tang is incapable of getting that big?

Wait I forgot your going to get rid of it when it outgrows your tank which if its in your tank and your tank is smaller than 120g its already outgrown it! We don't question the literature that says mandarin's need tons of pods to live. We don't question the literature that says sps need an extremely clean environment to thrive. Then why do we question what size tank a blue tang in this case needs to thrive in?

Back