blue tangs in very small tanks... what compells people to do so...

I thought the point of the censor was to censor? Ive allowed the censor to do its job, ive never worked around it on here in 2000+ posts....where is the harm in allowing imagination to fill in the blank the censor creates?

Not looking to fight here, i read the first post, saw 10+ pages of replies. Put 1+1 together and figured it was a crap storm of drama going on in here. Was i wrong? I really didn't read all of this, so i don't know.

Really i have that tang, in that tank. If i got an infraction for that....i dont know what to say. Just wow......:rolleye1:

You received an infraction for using profanity, as was clearly noted when you received it. Your "thoughts" on the censor are incorrect, and now you know better.

You know when you assume....

See above boss.

First, my name is not "boss".

Secondly, based on the lack of any information in your initial post, all a person could do is "assume" your intentions. I, like most, saw it as nothing more than someone waiving their hands to say "Ha Ha I have a hepatus in a 27 gallon tank".

Just wanted to add my comments/ thoughts on this subject

I have kept salt water tanks in 2 different countries with a 12 year gap in between

1 thing I have noticed this time around is the sizes that you can now purchase blue tangs at
1st time round in UK , I never saw any under 2 inches or at least I dont recall seeing any at that size

2nd time around and in the PRC I see tanks full of them at around 1/2 inch give or take

Im sure that many end up in tanks that are unsuitable due to this reason alone
people without any knowledge on the potential size attainable, make the purchase based on how tiny that fish is when they see it

Steve

althoug this has come up, you still have a great point

so we maybe we can get a few poepl to see some fo this thread, and maybe save a few folks from doing so... and yes, to me, one fish that doesnt go into one small tank, is considered a good thing to me :)

Actually the tank size requirement is larger for a Hippo (Regal, or Pacific Blue) than an Atlantic (or Caribbean) Blue, although the Atlantic is the potentially larger fish. It has to do with habit, among other things.

Note too, that if a tank starts to crash, the first fatality will be the tangs. Oxygen requirement. Next will be the angels. This is how, when somebody in the Newbie forum posts about suddenly dying, but apparently well fish--- and they list tangs as the first death---my first thought is: oxygenation problem.

That's another danger of big tangs in little tanks. A tang sucks oxygen like a ramjet as it swims, oxygenating its body, doing all the things that the respiration process does for physiology---hyping up kidney action, metabolism, etc. But it's also using up the available oxygen in the tank, faster than it accumulates in a smaller tank. Cheato moss in a fuge can help, a skimmer helps, etc, but then the power goes out. The tang keeps breathing until it can't get enough oxygen. By then---nobody else can. Other species begin to go, in sequence. And of course waste products pile up. Really bad news. If you're at work---or worse---on vacation---its really, really bad.

For me when I had a system crash or really a fish crash several years ago and my hippo tangs were one of the only few fish that lived. I felt it was the fact at night they stop swimming and rest at night. The first fish to go in my tank were the ones that were always moving and never had a rest. So not always is it the tangs that go first.
My one hippo tang is 15 years old and l have done several bad things to the tank and he is still going strong. I now have two other Hippo Tangs (Purchased in 05 and 08) with him. I also have other tangs as well.
I do agree that tangs need alot of swimming room, the bigger the better.

Hey MarineLife, how big is your tank and how big has the Tang gotten? I grew up in Dayton, Huber Heights to be exact, Go Warriors.

Currently a 375, the tang started out in a 75 then moved to a 220, then to a 180 for 7 years then to the current 375.
He is about 10-11" I would say.

Cool Huber is not that far I grew up and still live around the Englewood/Union Area

althoug this has come up, you still have a great point

so we maybe we can get a few poepl to see some fo this thread, and maybe save a few folks from doing so... and yes, to me, one fish that doesnt go into one small tank, is considered a good thing to me :)

its a fair point and I agree with it

many people will have purchased a fish, before joining a forum (I know I did)

my opinion is that what happens when they realise is the most important thing

so Id like to hope that this thread and others like it, will help some people to look at the reasoning being given and then do the right thing for the fish in question

Steve

You know when you assume....

See above boss.

You're not actually contributing anything to this thread, as your only presence here has been:

1) Announcing to the world that you're keeping a tang in a 27g tank, without any explanation of what causes you to believe this is OK.

2) Trying to disrespect the mod.

You, sir, are being a :mtool:

I have a question that I need to get answered and I think this thread can do it. So I have a 2.5" blue tang in a 55 gallon. Was a noob and listened to LFS. Well I have a 90 gallon sps prop system that I was thinking about moving it to. The tank is 72"x24"x12". I'm concerned about the height of the tank. How inhumane is it to keep it in that shallow of water? I'm sure it would love the room to stretch but don't want to be any more cruel than I already have by keeping it in a 55. Also if I should transfer it to the frag tank would it stress it out, because of the new surroundings? Thanks in advance for the help

Currently a 375, the tang started out in a 75 then moved to a 220, then to a 180 for 7 years then to the current 375.
He is about 10-11" I would say.

Cool Huber is not that far I grew up and still live around the Englewood/Union Area

Did a lot of partyin' in Englewood in the 70's. There used to be a bar just North of I-70 in a small strip mall that always had really good live bands. I'd like to have the money I dropped there now. That tang must be good lookin. I can't say I've ever seen one that big in a private tank. Says good things about its owner.

As long as the LFS isn't saying that a fish will be fine in a tank that its not going to be fine in then there is no misleading.
I find my LFS (big box store) has lots of knowledgable staff, and will be more then willing to give there opinion on how fish will interact or do in a tank or find someone that will have a better answer.

But if they are not asked they do not ask. And why should they? They are not the fish tank police, should you have to go to a store with a water sample the start date of your tank, its exact contents, the last time it had a problem, what that problem was, etc etc etc?
Nope, they assume the customer knows what they are buying and what they have if they do not ask questions.

I know the assume saying, but in this case the only *** is the customer.

Just today when I was buying a tube anemone there was a couple in there buying a lion fish, a queen angle and a manderin goby, they asked a couple questions, like how big, what they eat and if these fish will do ok with a couple of clowns that are territorial about their anemone, sounds like they know what they are doing. As the guy was catching the fish he asked me about my tank, I mentioned I wanted the tube but my tank has only been up for 5 months and I am crossing my fingers. His answer, "it'll be fine, we set up our 35 gallon tall last sunday and got our anemone wednesday and its doing great, better then it looked here in the store". (its friday, so not even a week).

As soon as the staff grabbing the fish heard he said (before I could) "everything in your tank is going to die, and if for some maricle they dont everything will be far too large for your tank"
Customer said the fish will fine and he will make it work. He paid just before I did, 340 and change after the red brittle star and some other inverts.

I don't know why I shared that but its long and I already typed it. And its kind of on topic.
It sounds like your story is a rendition of a customer who is warned that what they are purchasing is inappropriate but decides to ignore the warning because they like the fish.

I have a question that I need to get answered and I think this thread can do it. So I have a 2.5" blue tang in a 55 gallon. Was a noob and listened to LFS. Well I have a 90 gallon sps prop system that I was thinking about moving it to. The tank is 72"x24"x12". I'm concerned about the height of the tank. How inhumane is it to keep it in that shallow of water? I'm sure it would love the room to stretch but don't want to be any more cruel than I already have by keeping it in a 55. Also if I should transfer it to the frag tank would it stress it out, because of the new surroundings? Thanks in advance for the help

the length and width, in this case, with what you have a vailable to u, is much much better for the tang... imo

Honestly, these type of threads irritate me to no end. If tangs cover several miles in a relatively short time, what makes anyone think they are "happy" in a 6', 8' or even 10' tank? By way of comparison very few organisms should be kept in a tank the average hobbyist can fit in their home. Lucky for us, fish are reflexive in nature and lack the ability to contemplate happiness, sadness, etc. Therefore, if they have sufficient room to move, adequate food and clean water, suffice to say, they are content. FWIW, I kept a few tangs for over a decade in a 75g, and not one of them lodged a formal complaint.

Does that mean we shouldn't offer them the biggest tanks we can...absolutely not. However, I wouldn't condemn anyone for keeping them in a smaller tank. If the fish is healthy, then so be it.

I'm going to let Brian or Todd answer that one ---better than I can. But as a guess I'd say the longer run might benefit it, IF it's protected against jumping. You might put 3 chromis in with it---they're silly creatures, but they love to race, too, and many fish take their presence as a reassurance that there are no predators, because this species also hides fast if threatened. Just a suggestion.

i will be the first to admit... i was a "noob" for quite some time... and i myself beleived alot of the hogwash my first couple LFS's told me jus to make sales... i am actually kind of hoping this thread could help steer some clear of doing this

Although I agree with your facts, imo, your post comes off accusatory & condescending. It's your delivery - instead of making this an educational discussion, your almost baiting the uneducated noobs to come forward so you or the others on this thread can rip 'em a new one. Just my opinion of course ...

Although I agree with your facts, imo, your post comes off accusatory & condescending. It's your delivery - instead of making this an educational discussion, your almost baiting the uneducated noobs to come forward so you or the others on this thread can rip 'em a new one. Just my opinion of course ...

Could not resist. I have to break my promise not to post again in this thread.

+1 on the above statement. Although I would say that it was not his initial intention. I learned my lesson now, 5 points infractions and a locked account, and being labeled as the "bad guy". However I would pointed out that if not for me and my postings, this thread will not reach the 300+ post counts.

This is a good thread and drives the message to newcomers that lfs can lead you in the wrong direction and research is key before stepping foot in there. Impulse decisions are usually where people end up with problems. From what I see, this guy is trying to help others out. We all make mistakes from time to time and can learn from them and help out one another. Keep doing what your doing! :wave:

not once have i ripped anyone a "new one" as you put it... jus sayin... i am sorry if you feel my "delivery" has been inappriate... was never my intention...

Back