Breeding and Raising True Percula Clownfish

Over the weekend, the babies got an upgrade: out of the restroom and into larger grow out tanks. Now they're taking up the fireplace.

d3f2e26b6dcdefbdc21c6d7d0bee4a86.jpg

I was so nervous about netting them that I ended up chasing them into drinking cups. Took over an hour just to catch them all!

The Novembers are back to living in their pink anemone

8ae0758f5cfa6921197aea16a0252193.jpg

And the Decembers are still uncountable. I attempted to count while moving them but then just gave up entirely!

d40eb08a338725ce480759e8c44f9539.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Do you culture your own live phytoplanktons for the rotifers? I wonder if you could get away using liquid or powdered phytoplanktons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, thankfully, I am not culturing phytoplankton. There are a lot of different pastes made with mainly nanochloropsis that are on the market these days. Reed mariculture sells a wide selection--Rotigrow Plus, etc.

Here's an update on them. The pics aren't the clearest--they swim too fast!

The November batch are about the size of a jellybean now. Some have their 2nd stripe coming in but I noticed the 2nd stripe comes in a lot slower.
0565ba4dd60e5209f0f7db490cf8d2a4.jpg

a95019c72c861150a7c9857cc39bac0b.jpg

Here's the Dec batch. They already recognize humans as the food source. It's quite amazing to see dozens of tiny clowns come up for food when they see me!
fcdc6f2eb11de8a3d85ce9a6d4936e73.jpg

92627d17fea89e1816def8d04239c243.jpg

Awsome pics Jamie. After our discussion I decided to glue a large flat disk next to my nems to see if my pair will start laying eggs on it over other areas. If they do for a few cycles I'll start thinking about starting a breeding tank.

Awsome pics Jamie. After our discussion I decided to glue a large flat disk next to my nems to see if my pair will start laying eggs on it over other areas. If they do for a few cycles I'll start thinking about starting a breeding tank.
Do it! :)

I got a little crazy with the tile bc for awhile, my clowns would refuse to lay their eggs on the tile. So every time the eggs hatched i would glue a new tile over that area. I think I had 3 tiles surrounding my anemone at one point until they gave up!

Larvae traps work well too. I tried it on Tri's clowns' clutch of eggs and they do catch larvae rather efficiently. I didn't use it on mine bc I heard that the gigs would eat the larvae shortly after hatching .

Oh, it's not just plecos now. I can't believe I broke down my laundry room reef to make room for THIS
313d977a66a85ba5b26136b28d40d53d.jpg

Newest addition...sigh....

lol what is that... I had to take a double look.. maybe a triple

My pair spawned but not on tile on a rock nearby. You know what that means...when the eggs hatch going to glue a nice large tile on the same spot!

Great way to use the extra COVID time! Can't believe I read "Reefhotspot" HAHA. Fun thread to follow, keep us updated on how they are doing and share pictures.

Are you planning on hatching more and selling any?

Great way to use the extra COVID time! Can't believe I read "Reefhotspot" HAHA. Fun thread to follow, keep us updated on how they are doing and share pictures.

Are you planning on hatching more and selling any?
Reefhotspot was so early 2000's , huh? Lol! The project was initially to fill a tank that I set up, but looks like I'm going to have a bunch of babies left. The interest seems to be there so I'll likely sell the ones left to local reefers (keep an eye out for a FS thread soon!) and then trade in the rest at the lfs for store credit.

But hey, if there's anyone else interested in setting up a group of true percs and needs a large clutch of clowns to get started, LMK! :)

Awesome - I got a 4ft tank with no fish so I’ll take a large clutch. Let me know when they are ready and how much?

Back