Breeding and Raising True Percula Clownfish

Do you mean that you tried breeding clowns, or that you tried to do a harem? Raising them is definitely a lot of work! If you were trying to breed/raise them, what part was most difficult for you?

If you meant that you tried to do a harem, I'm definitely interested in hearing about that too, because I have no experience with that at all.

I have tried breeding clowns and tried a harem.

Part most difficult for me was keeping the water quality and having to maintain the rotifers.

With the harem, the thing I kept running into was that it was kinda like survival of the fittest. The groups kept getting smaller and smaller. I tried to keep them fed but eventually they would dwindle. I had to have a lot of hiding places and a great skimmer

Id like to try and willing to purchase in the future.

Sorry for the late response, I don't visit the forums awesome as I am at the hospital often (RN).

I have tried breeding clowns and tried a harem.

Part most difficult for me was keeping the water quality and having to maintain the rotifers.

With the harem, the thing I kept running into was that it was kinda like survival of the fittest. The groups kept getting smaller and smaller. I tried to keep them fed but eventually they would dwindle. I had to have a lot of hiding places and a great skimmer

Id like to try and willing to purchase in the future.

Sorry for the late response, I don't visit the forums awesome as I am at the hospital often (RN).
I totally get u! Keeping the frys' water quality good is pretty crazy. It's pretty much daily water changes! And i wish that I could just suck up the detritus with a hose and be done with it, but nope, had to use airline tubing bc the babies are so tiny! Sucking up 1 to 2 gallons of detritus with airline tubing takes a lot of time! Lol

That, in addition to keeping the rotifer culture clean so it doesn't crash....more water changes :)

How many clowns did you try for your group? Were there plenty of nems provided? I remember Mobert's thread back in the early 2000's had 28 in a 210. And I believe the BRS tank also had about 25 to 30 if I remember correctly.

I've checked out other threads on the OTHER forum as well as videos and instagram posts, but there are so many that keep about a dozen for a year, claim success, than tear down. But how do they know their clowns are mature after only a year? Real problems begin with mature clowns. I like Mobert and the BRS examples bc both setups have the tanks up for a few years .

Thanks for the feedback on your experience! Really appreciate it!

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

I upgraded (downgraded? Haha) the big Mama and Papa's home to magnifica anemones from their gigs.

Before
2913af33861ca2e80b0fa9507f5f38e4.jpg

After!
d9a08f53d5ea602c66687fa6b31fb2a1.jpg

What happened to all of my carpets you ask?

New fts of my main DT....no carpet in sight!

79427553c256ef2625ef597621c65ca1.jpg

They're actually all in the new tank, waiting to host the baby true percs! I took a risk and dumped them in last week. Tank has been running for only 3 months, but so far so good. They're still acclimating. Pics to come soon.

I totally get u! Keeping the frys' water quality good is pretty crazy. It's pretty much daily water changes! And i wish that I could just suck up the detritus with a hose and be done with it, but nope, had to use airline tubing bc the babies are so tiny! Sucking up 1 to 2 gallons of detritus with airline tubing takes a lot of time! Lol

That, in addition to keeping the rotifer culture clean so it doesn't crash....more water changes :)

How many clowns did you try for your group? Were there plenty of nems provided? I remember Mobert's thread back in the early 2000's had 28 in a 210. And I believe the BRS tank also had about 25 to 30 if I remember correctly.

I've checked out other threads on the OTHER forum as well as videos and instagram posts, but there are so many that keep about a dozen for a year, claim success, than tear down. But how do they know their clowns are mature after only a year? Real problems begin with mature clowns. I like Mobert and the BRS examples bc both setups have the tanks up for a few years .

Thanks for the feedback on your experience! Really appreciate it!

Great to see you have success breeding and raising clownfish. I also started adventuring into this late last year since we now spend so much more time at home. I have attempted raising frys from my breeding pair several times, but I have not had much success. Most didn't make it past day 2.

Besides daily water changes, do you add any chemical, like Seachem Prime, to control ammonia?

Great to see you have success breeding and raising clownfish. I also started adventuring into this late last year since we now spend so much more time at home. I have attempted raising frys from my breeding pair several times, but I have not had much success. Most didn't make it past day 2.

Besides daily water changes, do you add any chemical, like Seachem Prime, to control ammonia?
Hmm...a lot of factors could be at play here. Larvae are really sensitive. What was your temperature? What was your setup like? Did u do the tile + airstone method? If so, did you turn down the bubbles after the fish hatched? What kind of water were you using? I pretty much experimented with all of these factors before I finally got the hang of it!

And no, I did not use any ammonia neutralizers.

Just wondering what would the price for two of them once you start selling?

Good question! Not too sure of it myself yet. All I know is, man, it was (and still is!) a lot of work! lol

Will let you guys know when the FS thread comes up :)

Before I give an update on the babies, must show off the parents' magnifica anemones! These anemones will never have that in-your-face color like, say, a CSB or a carpet would, but IMO, they are just as gorgeous!
01630d5eb3514d83bc7ea6895259d72f.jpg

And onto the babies!

My Nov. Batch has GROWN! For ref, check out the size of their "host" anemone now and a few weeks ago. Plus, they are now able to ear NLS pellets for small fish :)

They sure love their "anemone"
6ebd35fe01dd27899e4f596c34a78c10.jpg

And here are their younger siblings, the Dec batch.

Half of them acting normal

b3d587caebaabf775edc85d457816c08.jpg

The other half love balling up together, which I read is actually normal too!
5ed190c9e318aceb7024d4179dbfae5a.jpg

You are doing a fantastic job! They look like they're a half inch already. I tried my hand and breeding many MANY years ago, maybe it was 2001? Challenging is an understatement. Only a fraction of the eggs would hatch into larvae, and feeding them, oi!

Thanks for sharing and keep us updated. Very cool following along.

Hmm...a lot of factors could be at play here. Larvae are really sensitive. What was your temperature? What was your setup like? Did u do the tile + airstone method? If so, did you turn down the bubbles after the fish hatched? What kind of water were you using? I pretty much experimented with all of these factors before I finally got the hang of it!

And no, I did not use any ammonia neutralizers.

I used Vossen Larval Trap, and it worked well for me. I was able to capture majority of the hatchlings and transfer them over to the breeding tank. I have not tried putting in a tile yet. In-tank hatching is the better way to do it, but I figure it would be harder to get my pair to switch to a new spot to lay their eggs. I don't have a lot of room in my tank.

On the hatch night, I would transfer about 3 gallons of my main tank water to the breeding tank with matching temperature at 77F. After capturing and transferring the fry, I typically started slow-dripping about 1.5 gallon of fresh saltwater mixed with Roti Green Omega and rotifers. My thinking is that it's better to slowly tint the water and introduce rotifers to the breeding tank. The nitrate level in my main tank is on the high side (20ppm) so I don't have great water to start out with, but I tried to compensate it by slowly mixing in fresh saltwater after the transfer.

In my first couple tries, I had my air pump way too strong. I dialed it way down for my last batch, and that seemed to help some, but most still didn't make it after day 2. I had rotifer production issue last time also, so it might be insufficient rotifers. It's challenging, like you said, there are many different factors in play. It's hard to get everything aligned.

Good question! Not too sure of it myself yet. All I know is, man, it was (and still is!) a lot of work! lol

Will let you guys know when the FS thread comes up :)

How about using the price you paid for the parents and add a percentage for the hard work? Just a thought though!! When you got yours did the female had the white spot on her or it developed over time? Dibs on 2 with the white spot on them!!😂😂😂😒

I've been following and would be interested in a few clowns as well when the time comes. Really enjoyed following the journey so far. I really admire the patience and commitment.

Tank looks great! Btw, how'd the filefish (unicorn) work out?

I used Vossen Larval Trap, and it worked well for me. I was able to capture majority of the hatchlings and transfer them over to the breeding tank. I have not tried putting in a tile yet. In-tank hatching is the better way to do it, but I figure it would be harder to get my pair to switch to a new spot to lay their eggs. I don't have a lot of room in my tank.

On the hatch night, I would transfer about 3 gallons of my main tank water to the breeding tank with matching temperature at 77F. After capturing and transferring the fry, I typically started slow-dripping about 1.5 gallon of fresh saltwater mixed with Roti Green Omega and rotifers. My thinking is that it's better to slowly tint the water and introduce rotifers to the breeding tank. The nitrate level in my main tank is on the high side (20ppm) so I don't have great water to start out with, but I tried to compensate it by slowly mixing in fresh saltwater after the transfer.

In my first couple tries, I had my air pump way too strong. I dialed it way down for my last batch, and that seemed to help some, but most still didn't make it after day 2. I had rotifer production issue last time also, so it might be insufficient rotifers. It's challenging, like you said, there are many different factors in play. It's hard to get everything aligned.

The Vossen Larval trap worked really well for me capturing larvae. (I tried it on my husband's tank when his clowns hatched over the summer). Yes, I tinted the water as well. If there were rotifer problems, you would usually get die off at around Day 3-4, when the larvae pretty much starve. (I've had that happen to me too!) Casualties after 2 days, I'm thinking, shouldn't be a rotifer problem yet. If you ever try hatching clowns again, I would suggest sticking on an ammonia badge. Sometimes, it just sneaks up on you.

How about using the price you paid for the parents and add a percentage for the hard work? Just a thought though!! When you got yours did the female had the white spot on her or it developed over time? Dibs on 2 with the white spot on them!!😂😂😂😒

I remember paying I think 200 for them. At the time, it was so much money for clownfish! I saw the pair on the Reef Hot Spot website, and I bought them without a second's hesitation. Then I remember being so excited to pick them up that I drove during rush hour from the San Gabriel Valley to west LA, hoping to make it by 6 before they closed. Oh, the memories ... lol.

The mama clown naturally had that white spot. It's funny because there's all sorts of picassos out there, but one with just a perfect circle? I've never seen one before.

wow good job Jamie! they are looking good

Thanks, Juan!

I've been following and would be interested in a few clowns as well when the time comes. Really enjoyed following the journey so far. I really admire the patience and commitment.

Tank looks great! Btw, how'd the filefish (unicorn) work out?

Unicorn the Aiptasia eating Filefish did a GREAT job tearing up the aiptasia in my tank. He took down about 50% of them Then, I suspect he developed a taste for my LPS. Although I have yet to actually catch him in the act, it would be too strange of a coincidence, right? I actually caught him last time and banished him to my sump as a time out. I want him to at least finish the job!

Jamie, I had an aiptasia eating filefish that started with aiptasia and moved on to my acans. I definitely caught it in the act!

I remember paying I think 200 for them. At the time, it was so much money for clownfish! I saw the pair on the Reef Hot Spot website, and I bought them without a second's hesitation. Then I remember being so excited to pick them up that I drove during rush hour from the San Gabriel Valley to west LA, hoping to make it by 6 before they closed. Oh, the memories ... lol.

The mama clown naturally had that white spot. It's funny because there's all sorts of picassos out there, but one with just a perfect circle? I've never seen one before.

I don’t know how long ago you got them, but yeah back then when I was in the hobby(I’m getting back after a 10 year break) they were like $40 a piece and never got around to get me a pair so I settled for a pair of ocellaris. I’m waiting for your sale thread to get my first pair of true perculas.

You’re right, because during my research on percs. I have noticed and seen that particular circle on them, hopefully the pair I get from you ;( at least one of them gets it!!!! Cant wait for your sale thread. Hopefully I’m already on your list!!

Back