Breeding and Raising True Percula Clownfish

nice....i tried this in the past and it was so difficult. I'd be interested in a pair and can prepay for some future.

Can you share how and what you are growing as far as foods for them, and more about the process? I'd really like to do this someday, but just don't have the space for this sort of endeavor.

Cody, jamie thinks if you have a restroom, then you have a place for this.:hmm5:

There was a guy named Johnny from back in the days that tried the percula tank idea. He bought like 20 perculas from PTF and added to a 60 gallon cube along with a few rbtas. Eventually the number dwindled down to just a handful. I'm sure there are more efficient ways to keep the school alive so very interested in how this goes.

Uh oh, that's exactly what I'm afraid of--that they start picking on each other until only a pair is left! It's crazy because you can see bickering amongst themselves right after they've metamorphosed. My Dec. batch isn't quite 3 weeks old yet and they're fighting already!

I don't think I've met anyone named Johnny who kept 20 perculas, but do you know if the clowns that he got were older, from the same clutch, etc?

My inspiration was, and still is, RC member Mobert's tank thread from back in the day. You seem like an old-school reefer who's into clowns, so I'm sure you know who I'm talking about! :) She got them as babies, if I recall correctly, and she had them in a grow out tank before she added them into her DT.

Oh, and that red torch? Man, you should see it GLOW under blue lights! :lmao:

nice....i tried this in the past and it was so difficult. I'd be interested in a pair and can prepay for some future.

Do you mean that you tried breeding clowns, or that you tried to do a harem? Raising them is definitely a lot of work! If you were trying to breed/raise them, what part was most difficult for you?

If you meant that you tried to do a harem, I'm definitely interested in hearing about that too, because I have no experience with that at all.

Hahaha not sure my wife would go for that hahaha is methane good for clownfish breeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey, if there's a will there's a way!

6VeR1n7h.jpg

For Cody's Information:

After hatching, I wait until the next morning to add rotifers. Their yolk sac can feed them for 24 hours, so I figured, why start polluting the tank so soon, right?

Here are my rotifer buckets. I have 1 for backup and 1 for normal use.
LiQveyTh.jpg

Did you know that not all rotifers are created equal? There's an L-type and an S-type, and the differences in how you keep them are HUGE! For starters, the Stype thrives in SUPER warm water, as in high 80's, and the L-type is fine with heater-less, chilly-in-the-winter room temperature water (think low 70's).

I feel like this where so much of the work gets put into: maintaining healthy rotifer cultures. I'm so scared of cross contamination that I actually just mix up water for them, instead of using filtered tank water. So many sources recommend using filtered tank water to save on salt and water. I also don't use live phytoplankton. Instead, the rotifers are fed with Rotigrow Plus which is also from Reed Mariculture.

I bought the TDO Breeder Pack from Reef Nutrition (dry food!), which makes raising clowns so much easier. No longer need to hatch baby brine shrimp like we did 10 years ago. The foods are all different sizes from "A" to "Large"

r2vhaGSh.jpg
(and yes, as you can see, that is definitely still our restroom! LOL)

So after about 2-3 days of exclusively rotifers, I add TDO A, in addition to the rotifers. Then about a week later, I start adding in the next size up: TDO B1. At around 10 days is when I stop feeding rotifers (but that culture still needs to be maintained!). And you just keep on going up the food size scale.

Anyways, hope that helps a bit. I think you should definitely give it a try, especially when your kids are older. Ours are fascinated by the whole process :)

Jamie

Did you have to strain the water from the rotifers before introducing them to your hatchlings?

Danny

Jamie

Did you have to strain the water from the rotifers before introducing them to your hatchlings?

Danny

Yep. The rotifers get strained through a sieve first before feeding the larvae. I actually have to harvest them dailybecause they grow so fast. So right now, I don't have any larvae; my Nov. and Dec. batches have all metamorphosed and outgrown rotifers. It's a pain bc I've STILL gotta keep the culture going in case I want to raise anymore in the future.

And after straining them, you can see the rotifers.

My sieve without rotifers
40d797c875793796c143f442caff4197.jpg

My sieve with a few cups of rotifer water filtered through
6b1b2689319ad5351db83e8e67de6c02.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Oh, and speaking of the Dec batch that metamorphosed, here they are!

IMG_20210107_203829639.jpg

Not sure exactly how many there are, but definitely in need of moving them to a grow out tank this weekend!

Jaime

Just for curiosity, do you use a skimmer for the tank from hatchling stage to fry stage? Or do you perform water changes every few days?

Jaime

Just for curiosity, do you use a skimmer for the tank from hatchling stage to fry stage? Or do you perform water changes every few days?

I wish there was some kind of skimmer to use to make things simpler, but no. (At least none that I am aware of). The larvae are so tiny and delicate that it's just an airstone in there pretty much until meta. And yep, it's daily water changes! After meta, then I get to relax a bit bc I add in their (preseasoned) sponge filter and I get to cut down on water changes.

I hear that you're allowed to get away with using DT tank water to do those water changes but I always make it fresh.

Back