Build almost complete!!

Just a thought for your rockscape, if you are planning SPS. The tops of your rocks look really close to the water surface. WHEN (gotta stay optimistic) you get good SPS growth, any stag or branching acro mounted high will reach the surface quickly.

Just a suggestion; Build your "rockscape" with the finished "reefscape" in mind. What will it look like when it grows out? Hope that makes sence.

Beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail! Well done.

Just a thought for your rockscape, if you are planning SPS. The tops of your rocks look really close to the water surface. WHEN (gotta stay optimistic) you get good SPS growth, any stag or branching acro mounted high will reach the surface quickly.

Just a suggestion; Build your "rockscape" with the finished "reefscape" in mind. What will it look like when it grows out? Hope that makes sence.

Beautiful craftsmanship and attention to detail! Well done.

Thanks!

Appreciated the input. Agreed, in my mind I'm already placing corals where I want them to be and how I want to set it up.

I have at least 8 inches from rock to the surface of the water. If I can get corals to grow 8 inches tall I am a happy camper.. Plus I think it would be cool to actually have to corals growing out of the water. Let's see what happens.. LOL.

THEN THERE WAS WATER!!!

A lot of time and energy has gone into this. Friends and family think I am crazy for putting so much time and effort into a "fish tank". They just don't understand. LOL..

Filling the tank

Finally full took about 24 hours to fill with RODI water..

Of course after filling the tank up, darn thing started leaking everywhere. I drained 30 gallons out. Took plumbing apart to fix what needed to get fix. Yes, very frustrating to say the least, but finally 100% leak free.

It's just fresh water at this point. Water is a little cloudy, started running Carbon to clear it up.. Will check my PO4 tomorrow. If high will run GFO. Shouldn't be that high from what I read the rock and sand I chose is very clean.

Going to place a small order with Tampa Bay Salt Water to seed my tank.

Also took the skin off a started prepping for stain.

I know these Iphone 4S pictures suck!! I need an upgrade bad, but all my money for that went to reefing. SMH.

You're making good progress. It's always nice to see water in the tank for the first time. Did you put anything under the rock like egg crate or starboard? Or is the rock just sitting on the bottom glass?

Very nice man can't wait to see it stocked with fish! Have any idea what you're going to put in it?

Yes, it's going to be a mixed reef. Mostly SPS and Wrasses.

Always appreciate the lit sump area.

Thanks! Definitely cool look.

If you go by my schedule, you'll be ready to host in two weeks! :lmao:

At this pace I'll be ready for fish next winter.. LOL.

You're making good progress. It's always nice to see water in the tank for the first time. Did you put anything under the rock like egg crate or starboard? Or is the rock just sitting on the bottom glass?

Agreed. Got a feel of accomplishment once I finally got the water in and fixed the leaks..

Nice rockwork.

The dual island look seems to be really popular lately.

Thanks! I am very pleased with the look.

How are you liking that overflow from ebay? Any noise?

This was a mayor concern for me, because the tank is in the living room. Lady of the house would not be happy with a loud tank in her living room.

I was able to fine tune the overflow, to take all the air out of the pipes and create a full siphon. Result is dead silence.

well done

Thanks!

Today the plan is to add salt to the tank and get some work done on the skin, possibly start with wood conditioner.

Placed an order with Tampa Bay Saltwater for rock and sand to seed the system.

I used rock and sand from TBS in my 29 gal tank. After the mini cycle finished up I put a pair of clowns in the tank and had to deal with the attack of the parasitic Isopods. They would come out at night after lights out and attack the fish. After three days of pulling the fish out to remove the Isopods the fish went back into QT to be treated. While they were in there I treated the tank with two rounds of prazipro and then waited six weeks before putting the clowns back in the DT. The CC survived during that time and the clowns are still in there after a year plus. There is some risk with putting stuff straight from the gulf into your tank. The rocks and sand looks good in the tank. Just keep an eye on things if you put fish in right after the cycle. Of course YMMV.

Back