Build almost complete!!

Your build looks great! Just a thought on the cabinet fan on the back. Will you be able to get it off of there and replace it when it quits without having to drain the tank and move it away from the wall?

I would do one island with a high point on the left or right, tapering down across the tank. Whatever you do , make it asymmetrical if you want it to look more natural.

Your build looks great! Just a thought on the cabinet fan on the back. Will you be able to get it off of there and replace it when it quits without having to drain the tank and move it away from the wall?

Prey for me that it doesn't quit. lol..

I can unscrew it from the front but either way it's still a project and would be a definite pain in the you know.

I see the splashguard mentioned. With your woodworking skills, I'd consider just making a little "roof" over it and running a bead of silicone in the seam to keep water from getting in.

I'm sure you know what circuit breaker is for your tank. Consider clearly marking it so that a tank-sitter could easily find it.

Looks awesome. Are you going to put a finish on the stand? A stain would make the grain pop!!! Also a poly finish would help keep water from penetrating the wood.

I see the splashguard mentioned. With your woodworking skills, I'd consider just making a little "roof" over it and running a bead of silicone in the seam to keep water from getting in.

I'm sure you know what circuit breaker is for your tank. Consider clearly marking it so that a tank-sitter could easily find it.

Me?? Woodworking skills??? LOL.. NAHHH.

2 great ideas that I will steal from you, thanks!!

Looks awesome. Are you going to put a finish on the stand? A stain would make the grain pop!!! Also a poly finish would help keep water from penetrating the wood.

Yes, that's the plan. I have been lazy, plus have not decided on the color of the stain.

The nice thing about the skin is that It call easily be removed. Which I will bring outside to sand and paint..

Take the rocks out, shuffle them on the floor, touch one to the other on each side until it hits you and you see it.

Done and Done.. Gotta to love the quick easy fixes.

Can you show how you remove the skin? Screws?

There's nothing holding it as of now. It's just sitting in front of the frame. I did not screw it in because I know I have to take it off for sanding and staining.

pic..

This is the skin before I attached the doors and some molding.

Slides into place

I few purchases over the weeknd..

I bought the materials to stain the stand. I have been pushing it to the side for a while now. Here is what I am going with.

Bought the tunze care long to clean the glass. This thing is awesome, I used it on my 40breeder. Can't believe I went so long with out it. lol..

Some live stock!! Picked up a cleaning crew.. I am only doing trochus snails in this system. Best snail by far IMO and the only ones worth having in a reef... Bought 15 to start off with.

Getting closer to putting water in the tank..

I added the sand today. Again I went with Tropic Eden 60lbs of ReefFlakes and 30lbs of Miniflakes. This stuff is absolutely amazing best substrate I have used thus far as far as aesthetics, no wonder people go crazy over this stuff.

I am doing a light sand bed 1-2 inches and ended up only using 60 lbs (1 and 1). So I will shortly be putting up the other 30 lbs bag of reef flakes for sale.

Some pics.

As far as the aqua scape I was absolutely in love with the left island and knew if I took it down I will not be able to reconstruct it. It's hollow in the center and gets a ton of light through it. I think that I can have corals growing out of the inside of the rocks up towards the light which I think would be really cool.

The right island has a ton of surface are on top great SPS real estate. Just tons of room for corals to grow. I am overall happy with it and decided to keep it for now.

What did you use to paint the inside of the cabinet and where did you get it?

To be honest I picked up some exterior house paint on the clearance rack from home depot. One of those cans that some one has mixed for them and they don't end up purchasing. It was $5 bucks.

I didn't want to spend $20 on a can of paint. It was between red and pink... Went with the red. lol.

For some reason i thought it was some type of liquid fiberglass or epoxy.... Lol.. I guess is the particle board that makes it look like that.

I was about to recommend you for the outside the general finishes java gel stain. Awesome color and product, i just finished restoring a stand for a 120g and it looks amazing.

Did u buy tank local?

I did. The tank is a DSA 105 non drilled. I bought it from Marine Warehouse for around $630. I drilled and painted the back panel myself.

+1 on the trochus snails they are the best

Yes! These snails are awesome. Dropped them in my 40 gallon for now, they immediately went to work. Woke up the next morning back panel of glass was spotless.

My first water test today. I Teed off my RODI unit and ran the line to my ATO reservoir, took about 50 feet of 1/4 inch tubing. I tested all the fittings for leaks and also the container and made sure the float valve in the container was working as well. Started fine tuning the ATO system as well. I'm exited to finally get some water in the tank even though it's just a little water in the sump. LOL..

Should have water in the tank this week..

Back