Building a conduit Light mount. Need input/help

JohannesFTL

Could use some input from people that know what they are doing (since I have no clue) on if this setup would work.

This is what I came up with for hanging my 3 Chinese full spectrum LEDs.

b9cd86564b4a679d5d117de049714f31.jpg

Would this work? Should I make any tweaks to the design? Most importantly, is this strong enough to hold 3 x 165w black box LEDs?

it would be better if you do it from the behind instead of the side so it can support the weight and it look better. just my 2cent

Here is mine. Back mounted like dorky suggested. If your using 1/2 inch conduit a 6ft run may flex in the middle. Not sure how much those 3 fixtures would weigh.

Attachments

• IMG_5111.jpg
    IMG_5111.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
it would be better if you do it from the behind instead of the side so it can support the weight and it look better. just my 2cent

Do you think that the 1' piece at the bottom would not be able to support it? Only way for me to mount to rear is draining the tank and then sliding it out. Would rather avoid this, hence the extra bend at the bottom as a "support."

The 3 fixtures together only weigh about 27-30lbs max.

Here is what i did on my moms old tank.Still using the same conduit setup with her new tank but i do not have a very good picture of it.

Bracketed to the sides of the stands at the base of the stand and at the top of the stand.

Attachments

• IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 0
Picture of her new tank.

Can see the light rigging a little bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1136.jpg
    IMG_1136.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
Here is what i did on my moms old tank.Still using the same conduit setup with her new tank but i do not have a very good picture of it.

Bracketed to the sides of the stands at the base of the stand and at the top of the stand.

Thanks. That is kind of what I was wanting to do. But I want the vertical pieces near the back and then a horizontal bend towards the front so lights are centered by another pipe going left to right.

Any reason you can't mounth them on the wall behind the tank? Here's a couple shots of mine.

hth

I would remove the bend at the bottom. Also, when you bend the pipe make sure the horizontal portion is longer than you need/want. With those two changes its possible to trim the uprights to both the height you want by cutting the bottom and the reach you want by trimming the horizontal portion. I used the same idea on my 40B and am glad I could trim them as they ended up slightly different.

Something to consider is to mount the horizontal bar with short lengths of chain so you can adjust the bar front to back. I placed eye bolts in the horizontal portion of my risers so my chains can only move so far. It is nice to be able to move the fixture out of the way when working in the tank.

I would recommend using wood. You could mount the light back to acanopy or build it so that it fits perfectly on tank. I have a PVC light rack but it is mounted from the back and also has a brace/leg that sits on the other side of the tank. 5 things those lights are too heavy and the weight would cause them to sag

get rid of the bend on the bottom. The clamps on the top and bottom will hold it just fine. . 1/2 should be fine for the uprights but the cross bar should be made of at least 3/4 or something else so it doesn't sag in the center

Just figured I'd update this thread. Decided to go with a couple of shepards hooks I picked up locally ($12) and I just mounted them to the side of the tank then used a closet rod across. Looks decent and works great and was under $40 total.

f805242ee663f7353df91782137d132c.jpg

e65205b3b7716a2d154a8527be325cfe.jpg

9046635b6e5e2e6cd06c449509418544.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the first time I've seen someone use a iron gardening shepards hook.
It's not too bad IMO. I like when people think of different ways to make things work.

I might have continued with the metal look and used a painted galvanized pipe for the cross piece, maybe with caps on the ends.

But all in all, not bad. :)

Might take the last two comments and combine them. Go with a metal pipe and put an elbow or tee on the end so in the event it does get bumped, it won't fall out as easily. Looks like the wood is already sagging as well. It will probably hold, but is it worth the risk?

Those lights looks like it's sagging. Can't you get aluminum or steel square piping to make it look nicer?

Back