Calistyle's 120G Peninsula Build

I have an ARID reactor as well and have been running it for a year.

THe ARID is just a nutrient export factory. The chaeto uses NO3 and PO4 to grow, just like nuisance algae.

If you have a refugium with chaeto in it, you're already taking up NO3 and PO4. The only difference is that I've got better and fast growth of Chaeto with the ARID than I did with just a normal fuge.

Why are you taking Pacific Sun off line, what are you replacing it with, ATI?

I was going to replace it, but was scammed. Going to stick with this light.

Jorden how are your phosphate and nitrate levels with the PAX compared to what they were with the rector? And how is the coral growth? I've been looking into grabbing one, but my fear is I may strip my tank of all nutrients that some of my SPS and Zoas may like having.

By the way, looks like you've come a long way since the "Hornet's Nest"!

Previously i had high po4, but very low no3. This reactor is amazing and my po4 is in check now. I also grow chaeto in my sump for pods and to help with exporting nutrients but it wasn't enough.

PAX units are pricey, which is why I went with the smaller version. I have to change it out every few weeks, but with the quick release I can do it very easily.

I was going to replace it, but was scammed. Going to stick with this light.

Previously i had high po4, but very low no3. This reactor is amazing and my po4 is in check now. I also grow chaeto in my sump for pods and to help with exporting nutrients but it wasn't enough.

PAX units are pricey, which is why I went with the smaller version. I have to change it out every few weeks, but with the quick release I can do it very easily.

why were you thinking about replacing the Pacific Sun, why did you not like about it, besides the fan issues, if you were to start over would you rather have a ATI T5/LED hybrid instead.

Are you able to maintain ULNS with PAX ARID, currently I am running zeovit which couldn't be cheaper than PAX with all the blue bottles.

I was going to try the Aurora unit. If I started over it'd be PacSun or Aurora, or maybe the Matrixx w/ LED supplements added.

The ATI unit is just too ugly for my wife to approve it, so I have to pretend I wouldn't want that light away.

For me, running Triton method, the PAX made a ton of sense. I was just doing Chaeto and GFO, but po4 would still creep. Now I use PAX, no GFO. I still grow Chaeto in sump to keep pods for my madarin goby.

I also run some matrix carbon to keep water clear, and have a small bag of Siporax in sump.

Hey party people!

It's time for an update.

ARID Reactor - Love this thing. I clean it out once a month, same as carbon replacement.
6A36j0N.jpg

NO3 Dosing - I use 1 tablespoon in just over 4 cups of water and dose 10ml daily.
nbD6oyo.jpg

Siporax - 1000 ml medium in sump
TVF1p4f.jpg

Sump Nest - Added Apex, leak detection, and WAV pumps.
aem4lmn.jpg

Tank - Just taking out sand slowly. Being on Triton, I don't do many water changes. When I do, I pull out as much sand as possible. Almost there.
0gppSdz.jpg

thanks rik!! I'm not looking forward this tank move, but it's going to be worth it. I've learned a lot going from nano to 120, and i'm going to get this one right.

I may have missed it but did you ever make the switch to Giesemann light or decided to stick with Pandora?

I stuck with Pandora. The cost was just too high to switch to same style of light. I'll be needing a 48" fixture soon, and debating on hybrid, or going all T5 and saving some $$.

I stuck with Pandora. The cost was just too high to switch to same style of light. I'll be needing a 48" fixture soon, and debating on hybrid, or going all T5 and saving some $$.

I will probably be selling my 48" Gieseman fixture in a month or two if you can wait.

RIP tank.

tumblr_inline_n9by865vQT1qz65iu.gif

Broke this down over the weekend. Moved to something a little smaller. Will be selling this once I get it cleaned up.

Back