Canopy Lift System or Rail System - Need Suggestions

Fish&Corgis

Premium Member
I built a very heavy canopy for my 175G Bowfront. It is to the point I need two people to remove it and place it on horses to work in the tank. I was thinking about building a rail system on my ceiling and mounting the canopy to it via chains. When I needed to move it, I could raise the canopy 1" and slide it away from the tank.

Does anyone of any ideas in regards to rail systems?

Working with about 75 pounds of weight.

Links and Photos appreciated.

Thanks.

I was thinking about doing this at one time... then I built a light canopy.

As far as a moving system, contemplated using tracks for a sliding door (like on a barn) mounted on the ceiling. The canopy would have been hung from stainless cables that would have allowed the whole thing to move sideways.

I have also seen where someone here butchered a Rascal Scooter and reused the motor and drive line to raise and lower their canopy via a couple long threaded rods. They mounted all the crap in the ceiling and with the press of a button the mechanicals turned the screws, raising the canopy. Any one have that link? it is pretty cool!

I lift the canopy on my 240 gallon reef (8 x 2 x 2) with a linear actuator and four gas shocks that are mounted on the wall behind the tank. The entire canopy lifts 24" vertically for total access. This is the way to go!

I put a 24" door on my canopy, 2 of them actually, 48" long each. lifted and held by a blum spring loaded hinge.

the canopy is built into the wall, so removing was impossible, needed full easy access.

Back