Chemistry of water during shipping

Dave & Monica

Posting this in chemistry forum because I feel it's related

O2 consumption by coral. I did some research since shipping is kind of like a power outage, but I didn't find anything helpful.

"œCooler water with a lower specific gravity holds oxygen better than warmer water with a higher specific gravity."

"œOriginally Posted by galleon

OK, addressing the decent amount of water and corals using little O2 points:

Using an Acropora respiration rate of 0.2 gO2 m^-2 hr^-1 (derived from A. palmata), and an O2 solubility of 6.6 mg/L at 25C and 35 psu salinity in water, if we place a 5 cm x 5 cm piece of coral in 1 L of oxygen saturated seawater, after only 13 hours, less than 2% of the original mass of O2 in the water will remain! That's 100 millionths of a gram of O2. In an entire liter! Proper gas headspace and sufficient oxygenation of that headspace is a MAJOR factor!"œ

Question is 02 needed in the bag when shipping, I've seen plenty of examples where no air was in the bag, I would think this isn't ideal.

Ship FexEx overnight, but what if"¦ what's the best short term, and long term practices to ensure the chemistry of the water is the best so coral survive shipping inter USA shipping. Not talking transatlantic or anything.

Ammonia, build up for fish, but do coal give off ammonia, I don't think so.

Carbon to absorb the slime? Slime will be limited as I plan to pack in a cup and not have the coral touch the sides of the cup or bag"¦ issue could be if there is air in the bag, and box is tipped on its side, would air touch the coral. Floating a disc needs big bags and lots of space, I want to use the impact sealer and keep packaging size to a minimum.

I'm not a business but a hobbyist that wants to start shipping coral and feel shipping techniques are a coveted secret and not readily explored in the hobby. Any take always will be posted here in the propagation forum to be shared with all. Thanks for reading.

//Dave

Some bags are permeable to oxygen, although I think that rate of oxygen consumption probably is far too high for a coral in shipment. Even corals with photosynthetic might release some ammonia if kept in the dark long enough, since the symbionts will stop consuming it, at least after a while, but the amount should be very small. A drop of Amquel wouldn't hurt, though. I wouldn't worry about the rest.

Back