Chinese LED Lights

I don't have a canopy and really haven't came up with a good way to mount them. I'm not real keen on hanging them but if its the best option then I will. As far as SPS I'd like to keep them but don't have any yet

You will want to hang them if you the best out of them. The ability to control the power is great but the height plus control will be much more beneficial. Youll get less of a disco effect the higher you go.

I had to raise my lights up from 10.5" to 12.5" because some of my corals bleached at 40/25%. Raising it those two inches helped a ton and i will be raising the power when they regain all their color

I'm looking to buy one of the Reef Breeders 120watt Bridgelux units, but I'm not sure if I can go with the 120 degree or if I need the 90 degree. It would be hung over my 29 gallon Biocube. I want to be able to keep SPS corals. Any thoughts?

I'm looking to buy one of the Reef Breeders 120watt Bridgelux units, but I'm not sure if I can go with the 120 degree or if I need the 90 degree. It would be hung over my 29 gallon Biocube. I want to be able to keep SPS corals. Any thoughts?

120s would work, 90s would reduce light spill.

90s will be too much concentrated light for that many LEDS and such a shallow tank. I am running a similar light, but no optics over my 30G cube. The light is 8" over the water line and the lights are running at 30% white/40% blues. I prefer the spread to put less light intensive corals on the sides of my tank but it is still bright enough to keep SPS along the edges.

FWIW I have the 120 watt on a 24 gal nano cube frag tank with 90 degree optics 3" off the water running at 60%.

So whatever one you decide will be fine as long as you have coverage. Just start lower than you think is bright enough and work your way SLOWLY up to whatever your coral will take. If I go above where I am my Slimer and other acros bleach.. Birdsnest have to be totally on the sides of the tank or else they bleach at this level. I will prob drop it back to 50% but the growth at the higher levels is more I feel.

I would say 90's so you are just lighting the tank not everything around it.

Finally have pics (not great) of my d120's:

toptank2.jpg

bottomtank.jpg

Absolutely love my IT2040. I've had t5's, halides, Kessil, and now this fixture. Surprised by the solid build on it and the easy programming. Some of these US companies need to start to take a look at the prices they are charging for their LED fixtures. We all know they are gouging us like most top name US companies do. Of course the Chinese do have the labor factor on their side, but come on, to charge 1000 bucks for a fixture that in essence is the same thing these do is quite ridiculous. I also purchased the Odysea halide t5 combo before this and it worked stellar until this switch to LED. None of the horror stories I heard around about them. Of course the bulbs were cheap but I switched them out and it worked great.

Here's a shot of my new AJM light over my 180; 120-watt, 55 LED multicolor with greens replaced with 395nm UV and 630nm reds replaced with 660nm.
IMAGE_8A1F3224-7AEB-48F6-8CB0-58C28FB1644C.JPG

This replaced a 250w SE Hamilton 14k in a Hamilton fixture.

Getting a representative pic is a challenge- my iPhone's camera was over-exposed by the blues so I turned the blue channel off for this pic For comparison this picture looks almost exactly like the tank when the blues are at around 25%.

Currently running 50% white, 75% blue at about 16-inches from the water's surface to acclimate the corals.

Does any one using these have and SPS dominated tank? If so what model are you using and what is your feedback.

Thanks,

My tank is half sps and half lps. I have all 3 fixtures (D120, IT2040 & IT2080) over 4 different tanks. My 180g DT has 2 of the IT2080 and after 2 months I can tell you with 100% certainty that all my corals are growing as least as well, probably better than they were under 1050 watts of MH. At this point I can hardly imagine what the led industry could come out with for a next generation that would get me to change.

BTW, I like these so much that I sold my Eco Tech Radion (1 year old) because these make more light, a bit better PAR, are far easier to adjust and the sale of the Radion paid for 25% of my 6 fixture EG buy!

hey guys,
sorry i haven't been active in a while. i finally put my IT2080 up in a custom canopy. check out the pics. i have it mounted about a foot off the water (i will get exact when i find my tape measure). i get no shadowing on my 75 gallon on the sides or middle. i will say that its not as bright as i imagined unless i crank it up to 100%. i think it may be too high up. i have no coral to test in this tank but i am concerned about PAR.

Attachments

• 2013-02-19 21.10.30.jpg
    2013-02-19 21.10.30.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2013-02-19 21.10.35.jpg
    2013-02-19 21.10.35.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I purchased the D120 (or something similar to it) one year ago. I now see the IT 120 has all these extra programmable features!! Does anyone have experience going from the D120 to IT120. Does the IT full spectrum look appreciably better? I love the programmability and moonlights.

I have the 32 inch programable fixture from reefbreeders with the standard layout with no optics and it's been on my tank now for almost 3 months and I absolutely love it! The programming is really easy, and the blue effects make everything really pop! I have several sps corals toward the top and there has been some good growth. At mid day I have the LEDs at 60% and slowly raising it every few weeks.and the fixture is sitting on top of my custom canopy that has a hole cut in the top of it so the LEDs can shine into the tank. And the height is around 12 inches of the water.I am very pleased with this fixture and will add a second one if I upgraded tank to a 125 gallon down the road.

Back