Cool Fish on Diver's Den

Please explain this 5:00pm thing... is it just for fish that may go on sale? I'm fairly certain that it would not have mattered for the fish I purchased but I'm curious to understand this fully. Thanks.
5:00 PM is the time that they post the new fish on the website each weekday.

Please explain this 5:00pm thing... is it just for fish that may go on sale? I'm fairly certain that it would not have mattered for the fish I purchased but I'm curious to understand this fully. Thanks.

At 5:00 central time they update the the divers den list. If you want there really in demand stuff you have to be on the site and ready to pay right as it updates.

As far as conspiracy I'm not sure. I just know that last Tuesday QM had 2. And one went to my buddy. Now, that left one still there although my rep told me it was not available. So now I don't know if it's the same one from last weeks DD or a new one, but either way it was not QTd fully. I never trust DD for their QT process. QM does acclimate well, and have massive UV systems in place. Their facility is amazing but we all know that thousands of fish coming in and out of the systems every day cannot be properly QTd.
That being said, I fully believe these fish are not QTd by any real means and their procedures are not correct anymore.

I have been to Liveaquaria in Wi lots of times and that is where Divers Den is but I am sure you know that.

They quarantine everything, fish and coral. At least that is what they say. I have seen all the quarantine systems so I have no reason to doubt them.

The other Liveaquarias I would bet do not but WI does.

As far as conspiracy I'm not sure. I just know that last Tuesday QM had 2. And one went to my buddy. Now, that left one still there although my rep told me it was not available. So now I don't know if it's the same one from last weeks DD or a new one, but either way it was not QTd fully. I never trust DD for their QT process. QM does acclimate well, and have massive UV systems in place. Their facility is amazing but we all know that thousands of fish coming in and out of the systems every day cannot be properly QTd.
That being said, I fully believe these fish are not QTd by any real means and their procedures are not correct anymore.

Unless the past 2 Clarions were in their system from weeks ago, it seems like DD has some explaining to do!

Good morning,
Just want to chime in to dispel a few myths and assumptions regarding the two Clarion Angelfish. We frequently place pre-orders for special fishes with our valued vendor partners, and were lucky enough to procure two Bali Aquarich Captive Bred Clarion Angelfish.

These two fishes arrived to our Rhinelander Wisconsin Coral Farm & Aquatic Life Facility, home of the Divers Den Store, on Wednesday September 5th. Both fishes are incredible, each with different markings on their sides, and were housed in separate 45 gallon aquariums by themselves.

The first Clarion was posted on Friday Sept. 21st, and sold immediately. I am happy to report the fish now resides in a seasoned hobbyists aquarium, happy and health. The second Clarion with slightly different markings where the second and third vertical blue bar connects to form a 'U' was posted on Monday Sept. 24th, and is still listed for sale as of this morning.

For anyone interested we have two short video clip of each of the Clarions with different markings on our LiveAquaria Instagram channel.

Hope this helps!

At 5:00 central time they update the the divers den list. If you want there really in demand stuff you have to be on the site and ready to pay right as it updates.
Some quick tips regarding Divers Den and how to expedite the purchasing process:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=500

Happy Fishkeeping!
Cheers,
Kevin Kohen

Last edited:
I can't afford either one of the Clarion angelfish, but my Chrysurus is doing great in acclimation here at work today, and then going home into my QT Tank later today. I hope I have broken my addiction to impulse buying. I always look at it as I guess it was not meant to be?

Attachments

• Chrysurus 9-26-18.jpg
    Chrysurus 9-26-18.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 0
So DD only QTs for 2 weeks? 9/5-9/21 before they post the fish?

My understanding has always been that DD only "œconditions" their fishes and their customers are still encouraged to QT fish.
I personally know people who buy very expensive fishes from DD and still put them through formalin baths and TTM. No reliance on DD protocol, whatever it may be.

So DD only QTs for 2 weeks? 9/5-9/21 before they post the fish?

In the case of tank bred fish from a supplier like Bali Aquarich I would not worry at all. I have visited Bali Aquarich a few weeks ago and I would place any of their fish in my reef immediately without any doubt.

My understanding has always been that DD only "œconditions" their fishes and their customers are still encouraged to QT fish.
I personally know people who buy very expensive fishes from DD and still put them through formalin baths and TTM. No reliance on DD protocol, whatever it may be.

This is the information you receive when receiving a DD fish. They do put the fish through a protocol but it's not a full QT by definition. They urge you to do a full QT yourself upon receipt of the fish. Even the tiny captive bred annularis I received from DD (from Bali aquarich) had to be treated for flukes which was no big deal... just points out that it can happen to any fish, captive bred or wild caught. Despite being super tiny, it was very hardy and has grown to over 7" in 10 months. I have always had great success with DD fish and will continue to buy from them... and to QT all fish I receive.

This is what they say on their website.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

I never had a issue with anything coming out of their Wi facility.
I have lost pretty much every fish from their others. That is mainly because they do not pack right and so many times they arrive with the ice pack on the bags and the water is in the 60's.
I really do not order many fish from them because of this. They always take care of the situation though so it never really feels like a risk. I just do not like dead fish. I am lucky to have a lfs store that get pretty much anything..

...The first Clarion was posted on Friday Sept. 21st, and sold immediately. I am happy to report the fish now resides in a seasoned hobbyists aquarium, happy and health....

Wow, I can't imagine spending that amount on a fish and then not QTing it.

DD is very overrated IMO. That 14 or 30 day guarantee isn't really worth a 300+% markup. People just feel comfortable with it because it basically removes all liability and accountability on the customer. You can find some rare fish on there which is a plus, but they get their stuff from wherever everyone else does. There's 1000s of vendors, you don't know them all. Shop around.

$400 for a golden angel? FOH. I’ll buy you 3 for that price or less, and i bet one’ll make it past the DD version. but it’s ok because they’ll give you your money back no questions asked. Is that worth the extra $250-$300?

I can't afford either one of the Clarion angelfish, but my Chrysurus is doing great in acclimation here at work today, and then going home into my QT Tank later today. I hope I have broken my addiction to impulse buying. I always look at it as I guess it was not meant to be?
Are Chrysurus that beautiful? Never seen one in person but picture of them leave a lot to be desire.

They are in the class of the Chevron Tang? For me I miss the one I had in the late 90's? One of my LFS just opened up and had a display tank with a large Chrysurus and a Conspicuous angel in the same tank. At that time Chrysurus were $800, Conspics $1400? Well The Marine Center in Dallas received a juvenile Chrysurus and it was mine for $150. Okay lets see Dallas to San Antonio max I hour flight, except when Fedex loses it. Well after an argument ensued on a Saturday two days after it was to be delivered they found my package the little guy was happy go lucky and was placed in a 29 gallon with rock all by himself. Well guess what for the next three weeks I could not get him to eat anything from pellets to flakes to frozen. Finally the 4th week he started eating pellets. Never did eat frozen, just pellets, he ended up in my office in a 75 which I sold fish and tank to a friend. The first picture was when I had him, the second was a year after he was sold.

Attachments

• 75-3-7-1 baby chrsurus.jpg
    75-3-7-1 baby chrsurus.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Chrysurus.jpg
    Chrysurus.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 0
Back