Cool Fish on Diver's Den

Not at all. When you're the only one who "conditions" fish for a minimum of 2 weeks before selling, you can charge whatever you want. Their guarantee is next to none which also helps tremendously.

I didn't know about that guarantee. Then again I typically do not mail order fish (but that is going to change after seeing this post). Thanks.

Unrelated maybe but I don't understand the pricing. Not so much vs. captive bred but just in general. I am building a wish list for my 240 gallon and trying to find some Angel's that are reef save but maybe something I've seen while diving in Hawaii or Japan. I came across a Masked Swallowtail Angelfish which I believe is reef safe and they are offering it for around 200 dollars (Philippians) but another source is 55 to 66 dollars (female/male) but indo pacific.

So a bit confused what the difference is outside of location. Is that handled better, caught, shipped, color, or?

No, it's insane at that price. Yes, it's captive bred which supposedly makes them hardier, but holy crap, that's a lot

I think part of the premium for captive bred/raised is novelty and 'conscience easing'. I don't doubt that the cost is higher versus somebody going out with a net. Never been much of a borbonius fan ...... fortunately

Wow, autocorrect does not like the word borbonius .... Had to fix it three times

I didn't know about that guarantee. Then again I typically do not mail order fish (but that is going to change after seeing this post). Thanks.

Unrelated maybe but I don't understand the pricing. Not so much vs. captive bred but just in general. I am building a wish list for my 240 gallon and trying to find some Angel's that are reef save but maybe something I've seen while diving in Hawaii or Japan. I came across a Masked Swallowtail Angelfish which I believe is reef safe and they are offering it for around 200 dollars (Philippians) but another source is 55 to 66 dollars (female/male) but indo pacific.

So a bit confused what the difference is outside of location. Is that handled better, caught, shipped, color, or?

Where it originates from, what wholesaler get the fish (there are plenty of them but only a few are good just like everything else in life) Quality Marine is among the best as far as quality goes and Liveaquaria stocklist is tied to theirs. I have been buying fish for the past 17 years from them and always prefer online saltwater fish sources to LFS.

I wish they would get more red bandtail waspfish, they had a lot last year but none so far this year, been wanting one for a while now

I think part of the premium for captive bred/raised is novelty and 'conscience easing'. I don't doubt that the cost is higher versus somebody going out with a net. Never been much of a borbonius fan ...... fortunately

Wow, autocorrect does not like the word borbonius .... Had to fix it three times

I think you are right on the novelty aspect. Of course I expect them to be more but some things are just outside the amount of being reasonable. Somehow they manage to captive breed damsels and sell them for $10. I can't imagine it's all that much more costly to raise the other fish that are captive bred. Part of the crazy high price is probably the DD upcharge too. But it seems to be working because it already sold. No point lowering the prices when they sell in less than a day.

I recently had a chance to buy a couple captive bred blue line angels. I think it was the first time they were offered. I really wanted to grab captive bred ones but I couldn't make myself pay the $500 each they were going to cost. And even then, $500 for a blue line angel is much more reasonable than $550 for a blotched anthias IMO.

There are 2 different species of swallowtail angels being sold as masked swallowtail angels these days. Typically the more expensive Philippines ones are the "proper" Genicanthus semifasciatus. Lately in Indonesian shipments they have started labelling Genicanthus caudovittatus as masked swallowtails too.

Check carefully before you purchase.

Back