Copper removal desperatoin. Help please.

Dirt4dinner

Home Growin' SUSHI!
I come to you all in desperation. I made a horrific beginner mistake with my 80 gallon tank. I used brass fittings rather than plastic fittings on some equipment. Once I realized what I had done, I began the LONG process of removing the copper from my tank, rocks, and sand.

This is what I have done so far. I removed all my rocks and placed them in rubbermaid tubs with fresh saltwater, powerheads, poly filters, toxic metal sponges, and activated carbon. I then did the same thing in my main tank (with the filters and carbon). It has been 2 months now, and I still have copper that is toxic to any soft fleshed critters.

I am getting desperate to fix this problem. This is what I am thinking now. I am thinking about throwing out all my sand, and taking my rocks and tank down and bleaching them. I could also take the rocks to the car wash and blast them off with the power sprayer. Then I would only have to replace the sand with new stuff.

I would like your opinions. And please don't tell me to throw out my $500 worth of rock because if I do that I will be out of the hobby for a long time, because I can't afford to buy more LR.

Thanks so much for the advice. I hope to be back up and running within a resonable amout of time....especially since I am going to have to re-cure my rocks some how. Geez.

I assume you've tested for copper? If not, I'll mail you my copper test kit. I'm not going to use it anymore. No charge.

IF there is copper present, powerwashing won't do much, and bleach won't do anything. It would be in the pores.

I have a copper test and it is showing small amounts. but I threw some Xenia in there last night and it shrivled up and started to peel within about 8 hours. So you think the rock is just garabge?

Scratch the whole process. I am going to take the tank down and sell it. If anyone wants some VERY nice looking baserock and wants to try and get rid of the copper...or would like to make a killer swim tank, I have the stuff.

My tank should be fine, it is a nice 80 gallon with stand and sump and overflow. it too will be for sale.

I am going to keep the powerheads, and protein skimmer.

I need to sell the bigger tank to afford a smaller one and LR.

Do a copper test, what does it read now? If just trace, it could be the kit. I don't think the brass is your problem, unless it was the new cheap stuff that is mostly copper. Could be all the actions after thinking CU poisoning, upset the balance of your tank. Maybe a Chemistry Major will jump in here, but I don't think brass is that bad. I use brass check valves and have never had a problem with my SPS.

i think with those poly filters you need to change them out for new one to keep pulling the copper out not for sure though ABT would know for sure
that sucks keep the large tank sell the rock to evolust he is a good guy and then watch for others selling live rock of post for wanting some and rebuy some for about what you sold that for

as for the tank i know this is a huge hasle but take a razor blade cut out the grout in the corners of the tank go to petsmart or a LFS and buy some tank silicone and take your finger and cover over the corner that is what i was told to do with mine as long as the tank is glass

I beleive that I've heard of someone in this group who has gone through this experience before. I believe that he kept up with the routine water changes and after something like six months to a year, he was able to keep inverts again. You might want to wait a little bit to allow who ever it was to post a reply.

Dirt, I would post this in the chemistry forum and get some help from Randy-Holmes Farley. You can also try wetwebmedia.com. I think you'll want more expert advice before you spend too much time and money trying to fix it.

Good luck man! I hope the softies are doing well.
Clint

Back