Copperband Butterfly

rdnyva

I’ve had a Copperband for almost 6 months now. He’s a great fish and a good eater, however he doesn’t get enough food because he’s slow and the other fish get to it first. I’ve also noticed that even if he’s able to get to food he will miss it. It’s almost like he can’t see it or his beak gets in the way. If the food is moving he will lung for it but most times he will miss it. Is this usual for Copperbands or is something wrong? Not sure how to handle this.

The outcome was he shortly gave up trying to eat because he got tired of trying and he died. He was about 10 years old and I am not sure if this is a copperband problem or if any fish can get it. But now I see another one has the same condition it may be specific to them. Seems like some sort of neurological thing and if it is, there is nothing that can be done.

He used to eat like this and was the biggest eater in the tank. Big difference.

If the fish is still eating at all I would try to vary it's diet as much as possible. B vitamin deficiency can cause neurological symptoms though this is most often seen in predatory fish.

A number of years ago i had a CBB that did this.. Was an awesome eater. Then one day he got picky and wasn’t really eating. He would graze the pods in the tank but ultimately he didn’t make it either. I had him for about 3 years. Hoping to get another with the new set up I’m putting together.

Many years ago. I had one that wasn't eating well. I found that live clams (from the supermarket) with the shell smashed with a hammer were eagerly devoured.

I have a CBB a nasotang and a sailfin tang that get along great - want to add a raccoon butterfly and yellow tang - thoughts

Back