Coral Purchase online issues

vai6921

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is not the correct area to post this.

I purchased a bunch of coral and shrimp from AquariumDepot earlier during the black friday week. They had all coral 50% off so I purchased close $400 and with the discount it was about 200. They sent out the coral only as shrimp have not been sent out just yet. There was a delay during transport and I tried to do a local pickup as UPS would not ship it until Monday. I went to UPS and waited in line for 2hrs but they said the package was still in the truck and there is no way they can get it off the truck. This would mean that I needed to wait until Monday for them to deliver it. So now the coral were in transport since Nov 30th and they arrived late evening on Monday 5th (6days).
I sent them email updates as the shipment progressed and what steps I took in order to receive the package early.

They told me Monday that they have had packages in transite for 20+ days and the corals are still alive. I'm not an expert, however I don't think that is correct. I opened the box and it smelled rotten and all the corals were completely white and no sign of life. I had also ordered 4 feather dusters and the color of the water was black for all 4 feather duster bags. They had clearly died and the worms were outside of the tube with no sign of life.

I still listened to the rep that told me they would be alive and I needed to do the temp acclimation along with the drip...I do this no matter what for all my coral/fish I get. I acclimated the coral and dusters separately for 4hrs just to be safe. Its been a few days now and the worms are clearly rotting in one tank. The corals are dead and no polyps at all. I sent them an email Monday evening and again on Tuesday but I've not received a response.

The return/exchange basically states that I need to take pictures of each item and they will give me credit. They will not do a replacement of each item. This would mean that I would loose out of the discount I received and still have to pay for shipping again.

With this long winded backstory, have you guys had any experience with AquariumDepot and do you any recommendations as to what I should do now?

I'm at a loss right now because I spent so much money for the first time in an online coral purchase and nothing to show for it.

Thanks,
VP

Don't buy from them again? I only use Unique Coral. Heard great things about Battle Corals as well. Austin Aqua Farms is another good place to buy from.

I will keep my comments to myself about this vendor and it's not good. They use to be call Reefs2Go, I think. To answer your question, yes I have had bad experiences. I have had great success with vividaquariums with corals and fish, for that matter.

Thank you guys. They emailed me back and asked that I submit the pictures and they will give me a credit on reefs2go. Since I can't get the money back, guess I will be placing another order to at least make the money I put in count towards something.

Sigh, it sucks when you have a bad experience like this and companies should keep this in mind. They loose good customers due to the lack of customer care they provide.

I recently bought from Unique Corals and because of a weather delay and Thanksgiving I did not receive the corals, shipped on Tuesday for Wednesday arrival, until Friday. I emailed Uniqfue Corals when I first learned the shipment was delayed and they responded don't worry anything dead will be replaced.

When the pacage was opened the smell was terrible. I did a temp acclimation in the rare event anything might be salvagable. Nope all were dead. I send them pictures and two days later all coral replaced.

Bravo Unique Corals!!!!!!!

I have also never had a problem with Live Aquaria for DOA merchandise of death during guarantee period.

shame on them, did you call and state that you wanted to replace everything you ordered?
Also, can you or they file a claim for the shipping delay?

Do your homework before making online purchases. I had a good experience with my first online purchase recently. Frags were packaged well and the package arrived on time. WWC did a fine outstanding job :)

I've ordered from Cultivated Reef and WWC, both companies packaged the corals very well, everything was alive and matched the pictures, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from either of them again.
I'm at the point were I'd much rather buy an aquacultured piece online, from a reputable dealer, than a wild/maricultured piece from a LFS.

1st. Don't mail order live creatures in December. Not only are you fighting Christmas shipping but weather.

2nd. If ordering in winter months or during hurricane season make sure you check the route the package will take and not just sending/receiving areas.

3rd. Acts of god (weather/storms) are typically not covered. I've lost hundreds in livestock from AOG and never received a penny back as the shipping companies do not pay insurance claims for livestock during these things.

Sucks you got dead stuff but I wouldn't be so harsh on them. You're getting credit back. Not only did they sell you $400 worth of livestock for $200 but they are giving you the $200 back as a credit while they lost the $400 in livestock.

1st. Don't mail order live creatures in December. Not only are you fighting Christmas shipping but weather.

2nd. If ordering in winter months or during hurricane season make sure you check the route the package will take and not just sending/receiving areas.

3rd. Acts of god (weather/storms) are typically not covered. I've lost hundreds in livestock from AOG and never received a penny back as the shipping companies do not pay insurance claims for livestock during these things.

Sucks you got dead stuff but I wouldn't be so harsh on them. You're getting credit back. Not only did they sell you $400 worth of livestock for $200 but they are giving you the $200 back as a credit while they lost the $400 in livestock.

While that vendor does have a bad rep from what I've seen, this post brings up very valid points...

Hi All,

I purchased a bunch of coral and shrimp from AquariumDepot earlier during the black friday week. They had all coral 50% off so I purchased close $400 and with the discount it was about 200. They sent out the coral only as shrimp have not been sent out just yet. There was a delay during transport and I tried to do a local pickup as UPS would not ship it until Monday. I went to UPS and waited in line for 2hrs but they said the package was still in the truck and there is no way they can get it off the truck. This would mean that I needed to wait until Monday for them to deliver it. So now the coral were in transport since Nov 30th and they arrived late evening on Monday 5th (6days).
I sent them email updates as the shipment progressed and what steps I took in order to receive the package early.

They told me Monday that they have had packages in transite for 20+ days and the corals are still alive. I'm not an expert, however I don't think that is correct. I opened the box and it smelled rotten and all the corals were completely white and no sign of life. I had also ordered 4 feather dusters and the color of the water was black for all 4 feather duster bags. They had clearly died and the worms were outside of the tube with no sign of life.

I still listened to the rep that told me they would be alive and I needed to do the temp acclimation along with the drip...I do this no matter what for all my coral/fish I get. I acclimated the coral and dusters separately for 4hrs just to be safe. Its been a few days now and the worms are clearly rotting in one tank. The corals are dead and no polyps at all. I sent them an email Monday evening and again on Tuesday but I've not received a response.

The return/exchange basically states that I need to take pictures of each item and they will give me credit. They will not do a replacement of each item. This would mean that I would loose out of the discount I received and still have to pay for shipping again.

With this long winded backstory, have you guys had any experience with AquariumDepot and do you any recommendations as to what I should do now?

I'm at a loss right now because I spent so much money for the first time in an online coral purchase and nothing to show for it.

Thanks,
VP

Dispute the charges with your CC company. They have a lot more leverage than you, and always win these battles.

I've ordered a lot form this vendor and what you describe is an outlier. I once had a 4 day shipment but that was the fault of my local post office (they held the box two days before delivering it)

Every time I've had an animal DOA from any vendor they've given me what AD offered you -- credit for the price I paid minus shipping.

USPS is garbage... you might try having it delivered to the post office instead of your home and pick it up, if thats practical for you.

I've heard nothing but bad things about that company. I'd absolutely dispute the charges with your CC.

Had some fish die on me a few days after receiving them, Vivid credited my money back, not store credit. So not all store vendors only do store credit.

Hi All,

I purchased a bunch of coral and shrimp from AquariumDepot earlier during the black friday week. T

Thanks,
VP

I would not buy from them if they are the last people on earth. If you bought through paypal then you have hopes in getting your money back.

I also bought stuff from them for Black Friday. The "dendros" I bought turned out to be half dead tubastrea and the "blue legged" hermit crabs ( 2 were DOA) are just regular hermit crabs. Customer service wouldn't refund my money because the coral wasn't a completely white skeleton yet. So i responded about how the stuff they shipped wasn't even what i ordered, and i haven't heard back from them since.

Luckily, i only spent about $40 total. They are pretty much running a scam. Looks like they got an "F" from the Better Business Bureau as well.

I know, as someone who lives where it is 0 today, that LA monitors the weather and will delay shipment until conditions allow. I have had them do that for me on one occasion. Now I also monitor for when to order, but nice to know that provide a backup for when I screw up.

I got a shipment from Carolina Clownfish yesterday, and the corals and anemone arrived in great condition, but the clownfish have velvet and one is already dead.

Back