Corals headed south...

jdjeff58

I have an outer orbit fixture with 4 T5's and 2 150w HQI MH's. For the past 12 months I've been running Phoenix 14k's. My coral growth/health has been good both SPS and LPS. I have no soft corals. At the 12 month mark I figured it was necessary to replace my MH's. Looking for something a little different, and thinking it would solve a lobphora problem, I switched brands. I looked around to see what was the 'hot' bulb. Reeflux 12k's looked like the answer. I purchased them from an ebay dealer they appear to be authentic. The colors look great. The whole tank looks great and better than before. I like the bulbs but it looks like my corals despise them.

I raised my fixture 4" when I replaced the bulbs. I can't go any higher. I didn't reduce the photo period which now it looks like I should have. My photo period has always been 9 hours on the T5's and 8 hours on the mh's. I start the T5's one hour before the MH's and they run together for the remaining 8 hours. I tried shutting off the T5's though and the problem is continuing to worsen.

The problem is after two weeks of the new bulbs, ALL my corals are suffering. My orange cap looks like it's on it's last legs....bleaching and no polyps. I had that from a little frag and it's gotten beautiful. I don't have alot of corals as my tank is fairly young at 1 year. But ever since this bulb change (which I thought would do the corals justice), I'm slowly losing them.

I checked all my parameters. And noticed a couple of things out of the ordinary.

I noticed a ph drop on July 4 which started me on a chase to find out why. Then I noticed the corals suffering. I am accustomed to ph of 8.2 to 8.4 I checked my probe. I had seen a drop that is now giving me 8.0 to 8.1. I'm wondering if the corals being 'shut down' is causing this. So I did a bit of buffering with plain old kent buffer. I've seen measurable nitrates of 2.5. I have also been running rowaphos for the past 4 weeks (because I read that it was a 'good idea') with no prior measurable phosphate using salifert. I stopped that when I noticed the ailing orange cap.

Other parameters:

Alk/dkh - 4.34/12.2 after buffering. It's normally ~2.97/8.3
Calcium - 420
Phosphate - 0
Salinty - 1.025
Temp - 80
Phosphate - 0
Nitrate - 2.5

I also checked for stray voltage during this time and found a whopping 24 VAC through/across my grounding probe. I replaced my heater. And my corals conntinue to get worse.

I set up an automatic water exchange several months ago where I'm replacing 2.5 gallons per day on my 120 gal with ~30gal sump/fuge. I just did a 15% water change 2 days ago. And things continue to get worse. My source water is from a spectrapure ro/di. My salt has always been Red Sea CoralPro.

All my fish seem happy except for a newly added 6 line wrasse. I have a 4" Yellow tang, a 3" Powder brown, a CB (not a nipper), 2 small clowns, a neon dottyback and the 6 line....who seems to be somewhat depressed.

My corals:

orange cap 4" from a nickel sized frag
brown acropora - formerly purple
5 polyp green blasto
15 polyp red blasto
softball size favia - most recent coral
small blue digitata
20 polyp sun coral (avatar) looks like hell now with lobophora consuming it
cactus coral 6"
torch 4 heads - he actually looks unaffected right now.

I'm thoroughly confused. Can anyone make any sense out of this??

Last edited:
hmm, confusing indeed - you did what you were supposed to. The only thing i can think of is that maybe you bought bogus bulbs from sleaze bay? Are you dosing by hand or do you have a reactor?

When increasing strength of bulbs I'd recommend taking photo period down to 4 hrs mh, working up to 8h day over about 4 weeks, actinic on for full 8 hours during acclimation. I'd immediately reduce photo period and hope to salvage them. Run carbon. Try to limit other changes.

Mike - I just added cupfuls of buffer mix measured for .1 increase in ph each day. I only dosed 2 days and stopped.

Sk8r - I'll give that try. I can use my TLF phosphate reactor for carbon. What amount and for how long would I run that. I'm assuming you are suggesting this for coral toxins?

Last edited:
Think it was both the increased lighting and the big jump in Alk that is causing your issues. I personally don't like using buffer since it raises the Alk too fast.

Well...I set up the new photo period and fired up the carbon. Let's see what happens. It ain't lookin' so good for my orange cap. There's some traces of algae growth and it's bleaching worse. Just another question....is it the fast increase in alk or the actual number (12.2) that's an issue? Do I need to get it back down? If so, is it water changes that bring it back down?

I think it is mainly the fast increase of the Alk. Though I personally keep mine lower --- Right around 3, compared to your 4.34.

Back