Dawn's seahorse garden!

All that sounds great, Dawn! Smart. Glad to hear there were no surprises! I like how you weighed the test results, with your inverts' health, and then decided your course. That sounds to me that you are experienced and intuitive enough to 'make the call'. Testing confirms it.

That's interesting, your magnesium consumption. I've dosed it in the past, but never noticed its effect. Not like iron, which I often do see its effect. I'll have to make more of an effort to see it. Good to know!

I suspect that in some cases, macro will utilize calcium & magnesium in the ratios that they are in the water, but I am just guessing. Yes to iron having most obvious change in macro apereance like darker green or red color. I think that Dawn has a "œgreen thumb, when it comes to seaweeds.

Michael, I am happy to see your build thread in motion. Keep it coming.

Dawn, as always, have a blessed day. Better, "œSeize the Day".

Wow, Dawn, your tank amazes me with each update. What a cool video. Your fish coexist so peacefully. Anyone that has a question about keeping multiple blennies, of each species and/or mixed species, need to see this video. All of the blennies seem to mind their own business. The key is finding the right combination of species, and you have seemed to nail it. :beer:

Marmalade is quite photogenic! And those barnacle blennies are so cute!

Wow, Dawn, your tank amazes me with each update. What a cool video. Your fish coexist so peacefully. Anyone that has a question about keeping multiple blennies, of each species and/or mixed species, need to see this video. All of the blennies seem to mind their own business. The key is finding the right combination of species, and you have seemed to nail it. :beer:

Marmalade is quite photogenic! And those barnacle blennies are so cute!
Yes, there doesn't seem to be any bullying. Marmalade and Linus remind each other when their territories have been infringed on but like you said, for the most part they mind their own business. I think I probably lucked out with those two since they are both combtooth blennies. I wouldn't suggest anyone put more than 1 of each type of blenny but when I saw Marmalade, I just had to have him. He is quite photogenic and sometimes it seems like he poses, ha ha! He's an attention hog.

I adore Betty and Barney, the 2 barnacle blennies. :love1: They are just so darn cute.

I decided to open up the scape a little by chiselling off a portion of the plating coral skeleton on the left. I am happy with it but once the deed was done there was no undoing it, LOL.
2019-02-01_06-06-56 by Dawn Gilson, on Flickr

News on the fish is looking up. Today I spotted all 12 of them. It had been some time since I had seen Piper, the more shy gcg. I saw both out at the same time during a feeding. Piper is a lighter olive green rather than blue green like Jet. Also Spectre seems to be eating mysis now so hopefully he will fatten up. Everyone else is doing super.

I checked the nitrates and phosphates today and both went up significantly. I guess I better do a water change tomorrow. As you can see the sand is nice and clean with no cyano or diatoms.

Last edited:
Thanks Michael.

I found something in my tank that amazed me. Back in the late 90s I bought a rock at the lfs I worked at because it had a cute little coral on it, or that is what I thought it was. In actuality it was an aiptasia, LOL. More surprising than a novice lfs employee buying a piece of LR for the aiptasia is I accidently killed it! I never get rid of any rock I bought. When I downsized I let some of my rock dry out. I think this piece of rock spent a decade in a 5 gallon bucket of dry dead rock. Then it moved to the sump. It was the perfect shaped rock to shore up my retaining wall. It's been there 3 weeks or so. Today I see a tiny aiptasia on it. Don't worry, I do not think of them as cute little coral anymore and I plan to take action tomorrow. I find it interesting that a rock that is 20 years old could generate an aiptasia after all this time. Nature has an amazing way of perserving things.

Great vid! You have a nice, mature ecosystem. You really got in there, so we could see the nitty gritty details, like sponges. You have quite a few! And so much diversity. This is a tank in balance!

Great vid! You have a nice, mature ecosystem. You really got in there, so we could see the nitty gritty details, like sponges. You have quite a few! And so much diversity. This is a tank in balance!

I love the natural sponges that just grew on the rock of its own. There are gray, pink and white ones. There are micro & asterina stars, and even bristle worms and I encourage them all. I am hoping my rubble rock and my macro algaes when they get well established encourage the pod population. The stability of this tank is what is allowing me to feed it so heavily. Finally all my fish are fattening up.

Awesome video. I'm going to have to watch it several times. The barnacle blenny and bristleworm encounter was quite interesting...that they seem to be oblivious to each other.

So much to look at in this video! I love it!

In your closeup of marmalade, the orange coral polyps...are they sun coral?

Your tank is amazing!

Awesome video. I'm going to have to watch it several times. The barnacle blenny and bristleworm encounter was quite interesting...that they seem to be oblivious to each other.

So much to look at in this video! I love it!

In your closeup of marmalade, the orange coral polyps...are they sun coral?

Your tank is amazing!
I am enjoying this tank more than any I have ever had. There is always so much happening in it.

You are right, I do not think the blenny or the bristleworm seemed to be aware of each other or else could care less.

Yes the orange coral near Marmalade is sun coral. They have been closed up since I moved them there so I guess I need to move them to a spot more to their liking.

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate the kind words.

Well after I stated that I have never had dinos on another forum, I now have dinos in the sump tank of the seahorse system. (Pride goes before a fall, LOL) Anyway the good thing is that they are not in the seahorse display at all, which strike me odd. Perhaps the fast flow in the display (approx 1600-1800 gph) as opposed to a mere 400 gph through the sump is the difference. Normally I would let the nitrates build up some along with a small amount of PO4 but not with seahorses. I can't risk pathogenic bacteria also building up. I suppose I won't do anything since the display is ok and I will skim them off the surface of the water where most of them seem to be.

Maybe do water changes from your sump to remove them. They must be getting light. Can you you prevent light? Also you could put something in there to eat them. Some thoughts. Good luck!

Maybe do water changes from your sump to remove them. They must be getting light. Can you you prevent light? Also you could put something in there to eat them. Some thoughts. Good luck!

Those are excellent suggestions. I had thought that I could add some pods and snails to help. Somehow I never even considered the light which is on 24/7. Doh!!! Nothing like missing the obvious. Yes, it would be simple to do a black out and in the basement, it will be black! I will definitely do that.

Ok, so today was water change day for both tanks but the seahorse tank got a little extra love. First I netted and sucked out as much of the dinos in the sump as I could get. Mostly they floated on the water surface which I found weird but there were some on the macros algaes. I had drastically reduced the macro algae in the sump just prior to the dino outbreak. Now I realize that that is probably what tipped the scale in their favor. I actually removed all the caulerpa because when it is too well established then my red algaes do not flourish. There were not a lot of red algae in the sump but I figured with the rich pony manure that the few that were there would quickly take off. I also added some codium from the 56 gallon but for whatever reason it did not do well in the seahorse sump. After removing the dinos however, I did see some very healthy sprigs of red grape caulerpa. I planted a few more since they seem to do well in the sump conditions. My hope is that when they get established that they will out compete the dinos. I turned off the par 38 led over the sump too. The dinos were really only in the fuge compartment, not the drain or return compartments and so the light has to be part of the problem. Hopefully a 3 day black out right after a really good cleaning to get rid of the dinos will weaken the remnants to the point where they can't compete with the red grape. I will let you all know how that goes.

O yeah, for anyone interested, my PO4 is less than .25 and my NO3 is less than 2. I know that both the macros in the display and the dinos in the sump are consuming some of those nutrients. Still, maybe I will cut down my WCs to 7 gallons 2Xs a week instead of 3.

Interesting stuff... In my brain, I'm already developing a strategy for my tank based on what you and Michael are going through...down the road. I can deal with the dinos for a while.

I got to hear Mike Paletta speak at my local club meeting tonight. It was on coral color. The bottom line was feed them and keep the tank stable and your coral will be nice.

Back