Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite - Ended Up Going Apex

For crying out loud.

F99A02FF-7D36-40AF-AE7A-50F5432FAD30.png

Happening on both computer and phone when trying to configure the light.

Now the GFCI is tripping regardless of what outlet I plug the ballast into.

Thinking it’s got to be the ballast. I plugged a small pump into each outlet and that didn’t trip the GFCI.

Thinking it’s got to be the ballast. I plugged a small pump into each outlet and that didn’t trip the GFCI.
Yep. Ballast could be borderline then add the overhead of the apex and trip. If you search 'halide trips gfci' there's lots of threads.
And thank you so much for your help on a Saturday. It’s truly appreciated😀
I'm semi-retired and work a totally random schedule. I rarely know what day it is and the weekend is any time.;)

Luckily, I bought 4 Coralvue MH ballasts from Coralvue’s close out eBay store back in 2017 when I was originally going to do the (long overdue) upgrade. They’ve been sitting in the basement since.

We’ll, of course, it couldn’t be easy. The pendant I have on the tank has a different coupler than the newer ballast.

Luckily, when I bought the Coralvue ballasts, they also had 2 pendants on their eBay store.

So, swapped out the ballast and pendant and all working now.

Here’s the culprit.

DC928B73-4047-4B08-9626-D53DF3EF40AB.jpeg

Now I’m wondering if some of my algae issues were from that ballast under powering the bulb🤔

The GFCI may be tripping because there is current going somewhere else other than back on neutral. The GFCI compares the hot side current to the neutral current and if the hot side has more current it will trip. Does the light have a three prong type plug? If so some of the current may be going to ground for some reason. Make sure there is no salt creep on the fixture.

The ballast is a three prong plug. This came to me as a raw ballast and I wired to go a harness wire to attach to the pendant myself. This was done years ago. So, something might have gotten off over the years.

That said, this ballast has been plugged into a timer in the exact same GFCI it was tripping when plugged into the Apex. Just weird, but I’m convinced it was the problem.

The ballast is a three prong plug. This came to me as a raw ballast and I wired to go a harness wire to attach to the pendant myself. This was done years ago. So, something might have gotten off over the years.

That said, this ballast has been plugged into a timer in the exact same GFCI it was tripping when plugged into the Apex. Just weird, but I’m convinced it was the problem.
It also could be enough minor leakage in the Apex power bar or some other device connected to the bar and the ballast the is enough combined to trip the GFCI.

No power bar. Ballast was plugged directly into the apex.

I’m convinced it was the ballast or custom wiring.

I was referring to the Apex controlled power bar since I am not familiar with the Apex. It would be an Apex item.

I was referring to the Apex controlled power bar since I am not familiar with the Apex. It would be an Apex item.
Yes, I knew that. I don’t have an Apex Power bar. The ballast in question was plugged directly into the Apex Jr

This is perfect timing. You'll likely notice when you log into Fusion that you now have two clocks - one is the local time and one is the apex time all because of DST (unless you have it off in your clock settings). The two clocks will go back to one after a few days or you can reboot the apex and it will go away. The apex will move your schedule with DST, subjecting your corals to the same circadian nightmare we subject ourselves to (I'm not sure why anyone thought this was a good idea considering they are animals and stability is everything). I starting today am turning DST off in the apex clock so the corals will no longer have to deal with DST silliness.

Hmmm, being non-technical, I think I’ll stay away from the reefkeeper

Try a Hydros X2 or something similar. Can not beat the price.
Starter pack is 199.00 and does everything RK Lite does.
Honestly I would upgrade to the XP8 it is worth the extra.

Edit:
OOps didn't read the whole thread and you already got something.

Got an LSM module and 4 moonlight LEDs for when I upgrade to the 75. Thanks Jason at Premium Aquatics.

Back