Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite - Ended Up Going Apex

Any guidance on how to control powerheads with this?
I find the easiest way is to use the oldschool code in the fusion app. In Fusion click the settings gear on the outlet that your powerhead is plugged into. On the next screen choose 'advanced' from the Control Type drop down box. Now you'll have a box on the right that you can enter text. We'll use the oscillation command. Here's an example, just copy and paste and then change the values to what you want:

OSC 000:00/005:00/015:00 Then ON

The above will run for 5 minutes and then off for 15 over and over. Change your duration to have whatever on and off intervals you want. For example 1 hour on, 1 hour off would be:

OSC 000:00/060:00/060:00 Then ON

If you are looking for something with specific start and stop times we'll do it differently.

Tonight, read about a module that Fish Street sells to link them to the Apex. But the module is currently out of stock.

Apex socket expansions. Found one for sale. Compatible with Apex Jr? Worth getting? Thanks in advance.

I found this from 2010
Yes. I just upgraded to an Apex, and use two of the socket expansions. The socket expansions are not dependant on the specific controller or EB8 -- it is a relay box outlet with the relay-switch plug going to the EB8's switched/controlled outlet and the other plug going to an always on outlet/powerstrip/etc. The EB8 or DC8's switched outlet turns it's relay on and off. Useful product in splitting amp loads.

Okay, I haven’t been updating this. I bought the expansion modules to power my MHs after the upgrade. Got a bit of cash for Christmas and ordered the following today:

RC
- Used Neptune EB8
- Hanna pH Checker

eBay
- New PM1

Premium Aquatics
- pinpoint pH probe for PM1
- calibration solutions for PM1

Got the EB8 and Hanna checker today. Can’t wait for the PM1 to arrive. It was supposed to be here yesterday, but according to tracking it’s delayed.

Thinking this expandable control/monitor system will really help with the tank upgrade that’s (slowly) coming along.

Okay now, all of a sudden today. My temp in the Apex is bouncing all over between 76 and 82 F. The tank water feels like bath water.

I’ve read conflicting information in the temp probe requiring calibration and not requiring it.

Put in a cheap Petco thermometer and it’s showing around 82 F.

WTF? @kharmaguru my friend. Thoughts?

Okay now, all of a sudden today. My temp in the Apex is bouncing all over between 76 and 82 F. The tank water feels like bath water.

I’ve read conflicting information in the temp probe requiring calibration and not requiring it.

Put in a cheap Petco thermometer and it’s showing around 82 F.

WTF? @kharmaguru my friend. Thoughts?
I never calibrated mine but I bought the system used and the temp was reading correctly. I've heard of the temp probes going flaky for some people and of course the cure is a new probe. I assume you've made sure the probe is staying submerged and it hasn't put itself up against a pump or other source of heat. Of course make sure the probe cable going into the apex is seated correctly. Also if it's misbehaving, you probably don't want the apex controlling any heaters..

I never calibrated mine but I bought the system used and the temp was reading correctly. I've heard of the temp probes going flaky for some people and of course the cure is a new probe. I assume you've made sure the probe is staying submerged and it hasn't put itself up against a pump or other source of heat. Also if it's misbehaving, you probably don't want the apex controlling any heaters..
Thank you and Happy New Year buddy.

Here’s what I did. Cheap Petco thermo saying 82 f. Remembered I had a Finnex temp controller brand new in box. Put it’s temp sensor the tank and reading 80 F. Apex is saying 76.

Going to plug the heater into the Finnex controller until I can get a replacement Apex probe.

Have I mentioned, if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have any luck😂

Hmm, for fun I calibrated the apex to the temp of the Finnex. Did that and Finnex is showing 80 and the Apex is bouncing between 83 and 83.6.

Must be a bad probe. Thankfully I have the Finnex controller.

If a new probe fixes it you may want to have a spare around just in case. I have three temp probes on my controller. One is in the sump and one is in my mix tank and the third is used to keep track of the temp in my garage. So I can always borrow one of the other ones if the one in the tank fails.

Hmm, for fun I calibrated the apex to the temp of the Finnex. Did that and Finnex is showing 80 and the Apex is bouncing between 83 and 83.6.

Must be a bad probe. Thankfully I have the Finnex controller.
I always have a backup to heaters in place and running. I use my controller as primary and the thermostats on the heaters as the backup. The heater thermostats are set three degrees higher than the controller. I also have two heaters and control them on separate outputs on the controller. So it would take two failures at the same time to nuke the tank with the heaters.

Back