DIY 300 gallon Saltwater Lagoon (pond)

very neat. I did something similar with a 100g preformed pond liner, it was like 6 feet in one direction 4 feet in another, it was much shallower, and had steps. Basically just tossed it together on the fly while I broke down one tank, and set up another (in the same location). It did have a very nice feel to it and got me thinking dangerous thoughts :D Although mine didn't have sand in it since it was set up to be temporary from the first day.

But overall nice job. Hell I have one of those 300g rubbermade stock tanks, just taking up space in my backyard while I figure out if I want to give it away or not.

very neat. I did something similar with a 100g preformed pond liner, it was like 6 feet in one direction 4 feet in another, it was much shallower, and had steps. Basically just tossed it together on the fly while I broke down one tank, and set up another (in the same location). It did have a very nice feel to it and got me thinking dangerous thoughts :D Although mine didn't have sand in it since it was set up to be temporary from the first day.

But overall nice job. Hell I have one of those 300g rubbermade stock tanks, just taking up space in my backyard while I figure out if I want to give it away or not.

Turn that Rubbermaid into a lagoon lol

it's too easy not to lol

Turn that Rubbermaid into a lagoon lol

it's too easy not to lol

Well luckily it's probably not as easy as you getting a new one. Mine was an outdoor pond, so I'm guessing quite a bit of elbow grease in removing the algae that collected over the years. Plus I'd worry about heating the sucker since my basement typically floats in the range of 50-60° so any tank needs to be enclosed to retain heat. Lastly... most importantly... don't think it'd get wife approval for "looking nice" :D

Nice set up less expensive than a tank purchase (not knocking Idea)
I built three tanks 4 foot by 8 foot 18 inches tall for the same reason
but I can also view from sides
How much sand is on the bottom / and what brand

What kind of cold water critters you speak of?

These kind!
IMG_0710_zps1d0b8a99.jpg

And maybe a mudshark, skate, flounder, and other cool things :)

These kind!
IMG_0710_zps1d0b8a99.jpg

And maybe a mudshark, skate, flounder, and other cool things :)

That would be awesome. I love those anemones. That's definitely northern pacific type of biotope. I would love to see this. Where would you buy your critters?

Nice set up less expensive than a tank purchase (not knocking Idea)
I built three tanks 4 foot by 8 foot 18 inches tall for the same reason
but I can also view from sides
How much sand is on the bottom / and what brand

It was a mixture of Top Fin aragonite and crushed coral. It was dry.

Well luckily it's probably not as easy as you getting a new one. Mine was an outdoor pond, so I'm guessing quite a bit of elbow grease in removing the algae that collected over the years. Plus I'd worry about heating the sucker since my basement typically floats in the range of 50-60° so any tank needs to be enclosed to retain heat. Lastly... most importantly... don't think it'd get wife approval for "looking nice" :D

I hear ya. It didn't stop me lol

I get alot of my stuff from collecting on the Oregon coast. Where it's legal. Please check all reg and get appropriate license before collecting:) and some of the coolest stuff I get from Coldwater marine Aquatics! I would put it in my basement where the temps keep stuff cool and use a chiller to maintain cool temps in the summer:)

I get alot of my stuff from collecting on the Oregon coast. Where it's legal. Please check all reg and get appropriate license before collecting:) and some of the coolest stuff I get from Coldwater marine Aquatics! I would put it in my basement where the temps keep stuff cool and use a chiller to maintain cool temps in the summer:)

That's really cool. This would be a good idea. I would have anemones everywhere with all kinds of inverts and fish

I just check out Cold Water Marine Aquatics. Very cool!

V-nice! I use two 150g Rubbermaid tubs as my qt setup.... Works great!

My only complaint is its harder to get a good look at the fish ... especially when trying to determine if they have ich, flukes etc...... Hard to view them due to looking through the top of the water level and dealing with light reflections etc.......

Back