DIY 300 gallon Saltwater Lagoon (pond)

You've inspired me lol. I was going to have a custom tank built that was 2'x2'x1' but after seeing this I'm going to now use a 50g stock tank. Love the tank man looks awesome.

You've inspired me lol. I was going to have a custom tank built that was 2'x2'x1' but after seeing this I'm going to now use a 50g stock tank. Love the tank man looks awesome.

Go bigger. A 50 gallon stock tank is the size of my sump. I would go at least 150 gallons. It's too easy not too. The 50 gallon stock tanks would be great for corals. They are shallow and have pretty good surface area.

Wow this is an awesome tank. I have a fish/man room in my new house and I would love to do this.

The only thing I'm worried about is evaporation. The crazy builder put a HVAC return right in the room. So I'm afraid that the 5 gallons evaporation every 2 days would just go straight into my HVAC. Do you use a dehumidifier or vent the air to outside to keep the humidity down? I guess the money I save on buying a new tank can be used to move the return. :)

Wow this is an awesome tank. I have a fish/man room in my new house and I would love to do this.

The only thing I'm worried about is evaporation. The crazy builder put a HVAC return right in the room. So I'm afraid that the 5 gallons evaporation every 2 days would just go straight into my HVAC. Do you use a dehumidifier or vent the air to outside to keep the humidity down? I guess the money I save on buying a new tank can be used to move the return. :)

I have been asked about this many times. I have my RODI hooked up to a 5 gallon bucket. I pour about 5 gallons in the tank about once every 2 days. It's not a pain for me at all. It's the easiest tank I have every maintained by far.

How do you handle the humidity in the room? Do you vent out the room or use a dehumidifier. Sorry for all the questions but this one of the best things I have seen in awhile. I love keeping it simple.

How do you handle the humidity in the room? Do you vent out the room or use a dehumidifier. Sorry for all the questions but this one of the best things I have seen in awhile. I love keeping it simple.

My "fish room" is located in the basement and it's pretty open. I have not had any humidity issues resulting from this tank.

thanks for sharing. i am sold with this idea tank too. It might be my next project using the jacuzzi as the tank for close loop pump.

I tried this and failed a few years ago. it was outside and in TX, the winter freezes and hail was just too much. great work, man!

Any updates @tannersmith2000? I'm picking up a 300 gallon stock tank from a friend soon to move my 220rr to my new house. After I'm done using it I'm going to turn it into an indoor saltwater pond in my basement, I also have a 55 gallon tank drilled already, I may end up using my 100g stock tank for a sump for it. Still need to pick up a 1200gpd pump and a protein skimmer. Going to put a clown trigger in there for starters.

This would be cool to implement as an indoor pond within an entrance way to a home. You could bury the tub in the floor and use slate rock to cover up the edging.

Does anyone know if tanner still has this setup and how it's doing? Seriously thinking about doing the same thing.

Well not Tanner but due to a tank mishap aka leaky Marineland DD tank I rushed to move stuff and ended up basically doing this which I kind of like except trying to not get much surface agitation is a bit problematic.

Back