DIY LEDs - The write-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must be referring to the current consumed vs output %. Yes, the curve looks somewhat linear, but you must also remember that voltage is increasing as current does. At higher currents they are in fact considerably less efficient.

So you would run your XP-Es at 700mA (I will) and your XP-Gs at 1A(I think I will)?

LEDS and Cutter

LEDS and Cutter

Sooo...what`s up with these people? I`m thinking us reefers in the world are a tiny drop in the bucket to them? What gives with their slow to non-existent respones? Do they have employees that just don`t care? Or maybe they just don`t need/want our business?:thumbdown

I'm guessing that they primarily want to deal with people buying several hundred LEDs at a time. Kind of like rapidled, we probably wouldn't be fielding questions about rapidled products all day long if they were willing to provide a phone number on their website for technical support. We should be getting a cut of their profits. :lol:

ok, so...i MIGHT have spoken to soon. I filled out an e-mail form about a group buy TODAY, and got a responce back a couple of hours ago. Man named Mark says,"can do, what do you need"...lol...hummm.

Looking for some feedback on a led design pattern. I am slowly but surely building this for a 150 gallon (60x24x24) mostly SPS tank. Plan is to mount channels ~20" off the water, if I can ever get started on slapping together a new canopy (some coral goes right to the top of my water line).
Check out the following 4 diagrams I have come up with so far. As the days go by, I keep reading more and more on the 2:1 ratio of RB to CW and the adding/replacing of NW vs. CW. So I am still open to suggestions. 96 total leds, 4 parallel strings powered by 2 HLG-150-48Bs (should be here in about 2 weeks).

Note the numbers of LEDs and ratio percentages per diagram.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Cheers :beer:

Slide5.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide2.jpg

IMHO if your not interested in dimming individual colors i`d go for your 66.5% 33.5%W ratio otherwise id go for 1st one. However, i would think 4" between LEDs is a bit much. 2-3" sounds better.

They all look like equally viable options to me. The only thing I would suggest is that you either

A) put the neutral whites and cool whites on separate drivers or

B) get fancy with adjustable resistors so that you can change the balance of CW:NW that your driver is feeding in case you end up liking the light from one more than the other.

Either option is feasible, but obviously option B) would be more complicated and less user-friendly.

I think the are all fine also. You might try a square rather diagonal and see if you like it better. At 20 inches you may also want a tighter optic. I had 48 on a 75 at about 18 inches and am having trouble getting the PAR I want. I am going to try some 10 degree lenses. I will report back when they come in if I get any banding.

IMHO if your not interested in dimming individual colors i`d go for your 66.5% 33.5%W ratio otherwise id go for 1st one. However, i would think 4" between LEDs is a bit much. 2-3" sounds better.

Yeah, I think those are my 2 top choices as well, just wasn't sure if 66.5 percent RB would be too blue. Still deciding on if dimming individual colors is needed. I agree 4" is a bit far apart, will probably tighten the LED width a bit, although on a 60 inch tank, would probably go no closer than 3.5 inches between LEDs. Thanks.

Last edited:
They all look like equally viable options to me. The only thing I would suggest is that you either

A) put the neutral whites and cool whites on separate drivers or

B) get fancy with adjustable resistors so that you can change the balance of CW:NW that your driver is feeding in case you end up liking the light from one more than the other.

Either option is feasible, but obviously option B) would be more complicated and less user-friendly.

Not sure either is an option for me. Have already ordered 2 HLG-150s to run all, and was hoping not to add anymore. Guess maybe I could throw in a ELN just for the CWs or NWs. Not sure I have the confidence to get too fancy with resistors just yet. Thanks.

I think the are all fine also. You might try a square rather diagonal and see if you like it better. At 20 inches you may also want a tighter optic. I had 48 on a 75 at about 18 inches and am having trouble getting the PAR I want. I am going to try some 10 degree lenses. I will report back when they come in if I get any banding.

Hmmm, any thoughts on what an optimal height/optic combo might be???

I certainly don't want a monstrous canopy. I was just playing it safe, so I could raise/lower as needed. But am thinking more like 18 off the water with 60 degree optics.

Originally Posted by S2minute

Yeah, I think those are my 2 top choices as well, just wasn't sure if 66.5 percent RB would be too blue. Still deciding on if dimming individual colors is needed. I agree 4" is a bit far apart, will probably tighten the LED width a bit, although on a 60 inch tank, would probably go no closer than 3.5 inches between LEDs. Thanks.

Actually I originally had 24 leds per channel and 4 channels spaced further apart. It was suggested to go with 12 leds per channel and use twice as many channels for better heat control. So even though there is 4" spacing per channel, the channel next to it is staggered so there will be an led next to it less than 4" (if that all makes sense).

Anyone find a cheap place for thermal tape? I'm going to redo my LED fixture to have 2/3 royal blue and 1/3 cool white.

Yes, Newark.com sells Bergquist Bond-Ply 100 in 150X150mm sheets (about 6" square).

$14 is pretty good for 36-48 pieces.

Cut into 36 1" pieces or 48 3/4" pieces. A paper slicer like used in an office would be very helpful, but you could also mark it and use a straight-edge (metal ruler etc) and slice with a regular box cutter.

I have a sheet of it in my hand right now, nice stuff.

http://www.newark.com/bergquist/bp100-0-005-00-6-6/thermal-tape-bond-ply-100-150x150/dp/18K5358

No advice on lenses, I am still playing with mine. I notice that all the layouts you have seem to have a pattern that I am afraind might be visible in the tank at the right angle, but i really don't know. Maybe the firt one, but do 2 sinks 1/4 inch apart and then a larger gap 2 more close together, etc. The problem is that the higher you are the tighter optics you need to get the light in the tank, but the more different kinds of LEDs the wider angle you need. Maybe 60 on the whites and 40 on the RB?

I have an ethics issue. I found this light by clicking on the add banner at the top of the page. I thought these were only adds by sponsors. Does RC qualify there sponsors? I come here for reliable advice. Maybe I am reading something wrong but 20 LEDs being equal to a 400 watt MH. Using 90% less electricity so 40 watts - 2 watts per LEDs.

I always took it that the sponsor took as much care as the folks that posted. To me this is like an LFS saying sure you can put a tang in a 10 gallon tank. Does this mean RC has gone commercial.

Sorry for the rant, but I would love some opinions.

As posted in the thread about the hobby turning into frags in the reef discussion, rc doesn't individually examine the companies that advertise here because they don't want to presume where refers should be shopping or not shopping. It's a buyer beware situation. Plus... that would cut down on the $ that keeps this forum going...

But yea I know how you feel - sometimes I wonder if there was ever a product category that fed off ridiculous hype as badly as the led products...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back