Dry rock acid bath

I removed it.

Ghost25, please PM Bertoni with some authoritative support for that advice.

May I add, whenever you work with acids stronger than lemon juice---wear appropriate non-reactive gloves and above all wear goggles, not just glasses. Blindness and burns can really ruin your life.

Okay, after reviewing a bit of data that's been provided, I'd say that getting a reaction from mixing water into acid might be less likely to cause problems than one might think. Still, I think everyone concerned thinks it's a better idea to avoid that approach. It's easy, as well.

Well, Randy and Boomer were always specific and urgent in warning never to add water to acid. If you do a simple search "how to dilute muriatic acid" you will see the same, including from manufacturers, warning of a "potentially violent explosive reaction." I do not know what the data referred to may be, and presumably the warning extends from the diluting process of pure hydrochloric acid (muriatic that is sold is a diluted form).

Me, I will follow the universal instructions!

I agree with following the general instructions. The exact odds of causing a problem are now unclear to me, but it's easy enough to add water first.

Muriatic acid is a gas at room temperature, so pure muriatic acid would be sold in a cylinder, like carbon dioxide.

I just recently purchased dry pukani live rock from BRS. I'm going to give it an acid bath in 1:10 ratio acid to water. I have a couple questions first. Where can I purchase this acid? How long do I bathe the rock in it? And how do I go about fully cleaning the acid out of the rock after the bath?

You absolutely do not need to waste your time giving such acid bath.
Wash with running water and use it.

Grandis.

Back