Email not working, tested everything. Please help

ojonas81

Ok, so I got my new Apex yesterday and spent most of the evening configuring my outlet ports and network settings.

Followed every possible instruction in both the official and unofficial guide but still no luck with the email.

This is how everything is configured.

AquaController Firmware: 4.12_5A12

Internet provider: Comcast/Xfinity
Home router settings
IP: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Primary DNS:8.8.8.8 (Google)
Secondary DNS: 68.87.64.150 (Comcast)

Apex settings
IP: 192.168.0.50
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Primary DNS server: 8.8.8.8 (Have tried to use my routers here as well)
Secondary DNS: 192.168.0.1
HTTP Port: 80
Open XML Access: Disabled

Email settings
SMTP Server: mail.gmx.com
SMTP Port: 587
To: myemail@gmx.com
Email authentication: Enabled
User name: myemail@gmx.com
User password: ***************

I can connect to the Apex over my own network (wired) with no problem. Telnet works as well. When I try to send an email to myself from the Telnet interface I just get this error message: SMTP: mail.gmx.com unkn host

I am out of ideas what it can be at this point. Please help.

Have you changed any network settings since the last time the Apex was rebooted? If so, reboot the Apex and try again.

It looks like you have a DNS problem. I did a quick Google search and the secondary DNS server you have doesn't look like a valid Comcast DNS server. You shouldn't need to change your router DNS entries from their Comcast values. I'd get the proper DNS addresses and change your router. Then change your Apex to point to your router primary and secondary. Reboot everything, router first, then Apex. Then test again.

I'll give it a shoot. Hooking up my bridge to it tomorrow so I can have wireless access to it. Right now it is too far away from my router to run a cable.

The DNS seems to work fine for everything else though. Have full Internet access on all my other devices.

i would set the both dns on apex to ur router ip of 192.168.0.1
also change ur smtp port to 25.
after changing to these settings update the apex and reboot.
once rebooted then test email.
also remember one thing it takes my apex about couple of minutes for test email to show up in my folder.
then again i am sending email from gmx.com to gmail.com account.

i tried changing mine to 587 and it fails change it back to 25 it starts working.

You didn't do anything in your router, like attempt to port forward port 53 for DNS, did you?

Also... make sure that there isn't a stray space before and/or after mail.gmx.com

Last edited:
Hooked up my bridge to my APEX today and for some reason the email started to work. YAY! Thanks everyone for helping.

Back