Facts, Theories, and Opinions; The Application of Critical Thinking

mcozad829

Premium Member
I recently wrote a paper for school on the issue of critical thinking and I thought it would be useful to post here. I have modified it to apply directly to our hobby and this forum.

Facts, Theories, and Opinions; The Application of Critical Thinking
By: Michael Cozad

I am relatively new to this forum, but it does not take very long to identify the largest issue with online forums. While this and other forums are excellent sources of information they are also filled with endless accounts of theories and opinions disguised as fact. A fact is a relatively rare thing in science and extensive criteria exists for determining fact from theory. At the base of this criteria exists the scientific method, which cannot exist without the application of critical thinking. While the scientific method falls outside the scope of this paper, it is important to note a basic outline of the scientific method. The scientific method is a process in which a question is posed, multiple hypothesis are developed, controlled experiments of variables are conducted (using a control group), observations are made, hypothesis are disproven or not disproven, the experiment and results are then published to be replicated by peers. A hypothesis that is continuously not disproven becomes scientific theory. A hypothesis that can be proven by absolute proof becomes a scientific fact. As you can see fact is not an easy thing to achieve. Because of a lack of funds, time, willingness, and opportunity not much in this hobby will be evaluated using the scientific method. This is where forums come in, forums are a platform for discussing opinions and experiences, you are not likely to find much scientific fact or even theory here. When evaluating opinions and experiences you need to use another scientific process to determine the credibility of the claim. This scientific process is called Critical Thinking and falls directly into the scope of this paper.

Critical Thinking

While there exists no absolute definition that with which all will agree, the following is a common formal form of critical thinking broadly accepted in the fields of biology and psychology.

Critical thinking is a six step process used to evaluate information received, so that it may be determined to be beneficial or useless to an individual. The six steps are really just questions you must ask yourself about the information you have learned. I strongly encourage anyone and everyone to use this process before you make a decision about your tank that could be devastating.

What is the source?
Is the person making the claim an expert? What are their qualifications in the hobby? What do their tanks look like? Does the person making the claim stand to make money off of your decision? (i.e. LFS)

2. Is the claim reasonable or extreme?
The famous astronomer Carl Sagan once said: “extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence”. Does this claim solve a very complex problem with a simple solution? Example, “you can maintain perfect water quality and all you have to do is add 1 drop of x product a day”

3. What is the evidence?
How many people have tried this and what were their results? Is this a case of “it worked for me”?

4. Could bias contaminate the conclusion?
I read a thread recently where the author claimed that his blue tang was perfectly happy in his 60 gallon tank. Are you going to take that advice because you want to confirm your belief that you are practicing ethical husbandry by keeping your blue tang in a small tank? If you ignore the overwhelming majority and only listen to the claims that confirm your belief, you are exhibiting confirmation bias.

5. Does the reasoning avoid common fallacies?
“Common sense” cannot and should not be substituted for scientific evidence. If you are going to take something as fact or even theory, is it just because it makes sense? The world used to be flat because “it just made sense”.

6. Does the issue require multiple or different perspectives?
If you ask a pool guy how to kill algae you are going to get a dramatically different response than if you asked a zoologist. Likewise if you are trying to get advice about keeping a Moorish Idol, you may not want to take the advice of someone who only keeps Xenia. Different solutions work for different problems in different applications.

The goal of this post is to try and help people, and to keep them from making extreme or dramatic decisions based anonymous sources. In the end any and all decisions you make regarding your aquarium will be your decision alone, and you will reap the benefits or consequences of that decision. Happy Reefing to all!

These are the references I used in writing this thread;

Psychology; Core Concepts, By: Phillip Zimbardo PhD, Robert Johnson PhD, Vivian McCann

Biology 10th Edition By: Peter H. Raven PhD (Washington University), George B. Johnson PhD (Washington University), Kenneth A. Mason PhD(University of Iowa), Jonathan B. Losos (Harvard University), Susan R. Singer PhD (Carleton College)

Last edited:
This is where forums come in, forums are a platform for discussing opinions and experiences, you are not likely to find much scientific fact or even theory here.

I disagree with that point. Forums are not just a place to discuss experiences. Some issues involve very clear cut facts that people need to (or at least can choose to) learn. Uninformed folks just need to find the right facts. Aquarium chemistry, for example, is rife with facts that are not really debatable, although admittedly many folks still get some of the facts wrong until they find the right sources. That is the exact reason we started the Reef Chemistry Forum: to provide a source of accurate facts, not just "well, it worked for me" answers. :)

We have some highly educated folks here (chemistry, marine biology, etc) who provide facts as opposed to opinions. It is up to each of us to analyze anecdotal evidence to figure out if it applies to our circumstances.

I think there are plenty of fact in this hobby, but also lots of areas where one must rely on anecdotal evidence or 'experienced' opinions. At the end of the day you decide what advice makes the most sense for each particular situation.

Point of reference: The ridiculous Ginger and Ich thread.

I feel for the new reef hobbyist who is trying to read through all the noise on the Interwebs. There are a lot of forums promoting misinformation and marketing jargon.

Excellent post! I hope you are posting this on other forums as well and with your permission I'd like to post this on my local forum.

I would like to add that if anyone has read this post and thinks I am disregarding the usefulness of this forum that is absolutely not correct. My personal knowledge of this hobby has probably doubled in the last month since I became a member and started reading a little everyday. I cannot begin to say how much I respect and need the opinions of the members here on Reef Central.

In regards to the chemistry forum, yes chemistry is full of much more black and white science than say the new to the hobby forum. That does not mean that everything that is posted there is automatically correct or that it comes from an expert. Scientific Fact is not taken lightly, examples: Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection, Einstein's Theory of Relativity both are widely accepted as truth yet are only theories because they cannot be proven absolutely. This may sound ridiculous but just because something is not fact does not mean it is untrue, it just means you cannot prove it beyond a doubt. All I intended by this post was to say check your sources and double check your information. How is a new person such as myself to know who is actually a chemist and who is a pool guy?

Please when reading this don't waste time looking for exceptions because they exist, I do not mind being wrong and am always glad to admit when I am, because it means I have gained the opportunity to learn something new. I am not saying go into the reef chemistry forum and ask for proof regarding the molecular structure of water. This is geared towards the forums in which people are looking for answers that probably aren't black and white. (i.e. can I keep these fish together?; is this tank big enough?; why did my fish die?)

I intended to post this in the new to the hobby forum, and placed it here without realizing it until after the fact. And yes anyone can repost this just be sure to include the references listed as some of this was taken verbatim from textbooks and credit must be given to those authors.

Well, with regard to the chemistry forum (since you mentioned it specifically), keep in mind that we have several chemistry phd on staff so that information, to me, is pretty gosh darn reliable.

Well, with regard to the chemistry forum (since you mentioned it specifically), keep in mind that we have several chemistry phd on staff so that information, to me, is pretty gosh darn reliable.

That is great information to know, and it certainly adds credibility to the information contained there. That is exactly what this post is about and accomplishes step #1. Thanks for the info!

I wanted to pm you and ask how I could identify which information was coming from the staff PhD's but the system wouldn't allow it. I would like to know for my own personal knowledge so that when I ask a question on that forum I will know the credibility of the answer.

Last edited:
I think this was a great post, and very well written. I don't believe he meant to offend the resident chemists, biologists, doctors, and other "bonafied know-it-alls". Without them, I can't imagine the hobby would have gotten very far. He isn't specifically calling anyone out to be wrong either. What I got from it is simply, don't automatically believe everything you read, just because the majority seems to go along with it.

Yes there are facts on this and other forums, there are unproven practices that seem to work, and there's also a measurable amount of BS that people seem to be drawn to.

It's up to the individual to wade through all the available information and decide for themselves what to do. In the end, you are the only one responsible for your tank and it's inhabitants.

That is great information to know, and it certainly adds credibility to the information contained there. That is exactly what this post is about and accomplishes step #1. Thanks for the info!

I wanted to pm you and ask how I could identify which information was coming from the staff PhD's but the system wouldn't allow it. I would like to know for my own personal knowledge so that when I ask a question on that forum I will know the credibility of the answer.

The subject matter experts in the chemistry forum with TeamRC are chemistry phd. I do not accept PM from any except mods and those on my contact list (several reasons for that).

I'd add...also understand that when a person whose history you don't know says 'this is true at least for me'...in a post, he is likely a person who understands science, as opposed to a person who believes his personal experience must surely and always be everyone's experience regardless of variables. Detecting and revealing your own limitations of experience or your own particular slant (eg, I keep a reef) can help another person decide whether your info is applicable. This is one reason to fill out that information in your sig line, so people at a glance can see whether your system is large or small, and what sort it is.

The subject matter experts in the chemistry forum with TeamRC are chemistry phd. I do not accept PM from any except mods and those on my contact list (several reasons for that).

At least for the chemistry forum, can you post the names of those that are well qualified? It would benefit those new and old to RC.

disc1 (David), RandyHolmesFarley (Randy) off the top of my head, but there are a couple more including bertoni (Jonathan). Since I know so little about chemistry, I do not answer questions in that forum. Usually I just ask David if I have a question.

Last edited:
In my case, I have a large amount of information/experience but only in a very small area of the hobby. I have a moderate amount of information/experience in more general areas, and little to none in other areas of the hobby. As such I try only to answer difficult questions in my area of expertise, and simple questions in the area where I have only moderate experience. And I never answer questions in those areas I know little to nothing (such as chemistry, do it yourself, equipment, etc).

mcozad829 - good post. I would like to read the paper this was derived from. I assume you wrote in the general sense and this version is "tailored" to reef keeping.

I would like to add to Sk8r's point. The biggest problem I see on these boards is taking advice that worked for one person but is not applicable for your reef. I cannot tell you how many times people have pm'ed me with requests for specific details on how I do something when what worked for me is not going to be of value to them. Certainly the details are not of value. What folks should be asking is the philosophy behind the advice. Spend more time learning the "why" and less on the "what" questions. I think we all learn more that way.

I love this thread. As for listing references I don't agree with that. When I started in this hobby I read everything available that was written by the then "experts". Now that I have as much or more experience as those well known authors I have come to disagree with a lot of their information. It is not their fault and I certainly don't mean to belittle them as at the time their information was perceived to be correct but it would be senseless for me to add them as a reference.
This is a hobby and as such there can be no experts as they don't give degrees for hobbies. Randy is an expert chemist does that make him an expert aquarist? I don't think so, but he is certainly an expert in one aspect of it. I am an expert electrician and by the same standards I am only an expert in the electrical aspect such as GFCIs and maybe ground probes. Nothing else.
We may have some marine biologists but that is a very broad field. I have a cousin Marine Biologist professor and to get that title he had to SCUBA dive once and has never even kept a goldfish. Does that make him an expert in this hobby? I doubt it. So we are all just hobbiests. Our experience makes us better at keeping things alive but none of us are actually experts.

References:
Me

PS Thank you for your service and welcome home.

Last edited:
mcozad829 - good post. I would like to read the paper this was derived from. I assume you wrote in the general sense and this version is "tailored" to reef keeping.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a grad student and the paper wasn't a thesis, It was only a 2 page document. It was written for psychology and is specific to my position on pseudo-science and pseudo-psychology. (i.e. tarot cards, palm readings, psychics) The outline of the critical thinking process is the same but the opening paragraph and details were specific to that issue. Its boring and possibly offensive to the uber-religious but if you want to read it pm me your email address.

Back